Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / The goblin tale

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 2 hours, 24 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 02:59 (GMT -5)

They were in a bad situation, and they knew it: the stone giant had been their best fighter. Strangely enough, no one spoke of turning back, as if by an unspoken agreement to destroy the one who had killed Stoney.

Sengoku, realizing that there would probably be more traps, walked in front of the party and searched the passage as he went. Suddenly he held up his hand. "Stop," he said.

"What is it?" Iridia wanted to know.

"Look here," Sengoku said, pointing to the wall. Nearly invisible inside a carved niche were the sharp points of four spears.

"Gorefist's minions have been here," Sengoku noted. "Stand back while I try to disarm this." Using a dagger, Sengoku carfully attempted to cut a tripwire. There was a hissing sound as the first spear cut through the air. Sengoku jumped aside; the spear clattered harmlessly to the floor. "Close one," he said, brandishing the dagger and trying again. This time he was successful. His companions let out a breath of relief.

Iridia picked up the spear, grasping the wooden pole and trying a few experimental stabs with it. "This will do better than a dagger," she said, "though I long for a good dwarven axe to wield."

They started forwards again--and were instantly enveloped by a gigantic fireball! They could not breathe, could not see, could feel nothing but a searing heat. Then, as suddenly as it had come, it was gone; and as their eyes readjusted to the dark, they could see an evil rune on the floor of the cave.

All of the party had suffered burns, but Apoc, small as he was, had been hurt the worst. Guinea immediately rushed to the goblin's side, applying herbs and healing spells until Apoc's charred skin had returned to normal (though the goblin still huddled in as sorry a heap as if the fireball had thoroughly roasted him!).

Then, Guinea opened his now-charred pack and retrieved several bundles of sweet-smelling herbs. "Here, take these," he told his companions. "Rub them onto the burns." Gratefully, the dwarf and the dark elf did so; their wounds vanished.

"I've failed you," Sengoku said. "I didn't check this section of the tunnel well enough. We shouldn't have run into that trap."

"Don't bother yourself about it," Iridia told him. "If it weren't for you we'd have been skewered by the spears already. But we had best watch out for more traps along this passage."

They proceeded with caution now, carefully checking each step of the dungeon, lest they should tread on any runes or touched any tripwires. Several more traps were discovered and disarmed; and now, the end of the passage was in sight; a heavy oaken door stood in their path.

"I'd give much to know if there's anyone behind that door," Iridia remarked.

"Not a problem, friend," Guinea replied. Rummaging in his pack, he brought out a stethoscope and held it to the door. "Nothing," he said. "All clear."

"Thank you," Iridia said, preparing to open the door.

"Wait!" Sengoku held her back. "If I know Gorefist, the door's probably trapped too!"

It was, of course; Iridia should have expected that much by now. Sengoku's experience in disarming traps was once again put into practice, this time in disarming a rather nasty explosive rune.

When the door was finally opened, the party stepped through into a small room. At the center of the room, a staircase led down into the darkness; stepping closer to it (and once again checking for more traps), Sengoku could smell the familiar odor of decay that heralded undead. Closer still, the stench became almost overwhelming.

"Well, looks like this is where he's hiding," Sengoku said. "Everyone ready to go down?"

"Aye," said Iridia. "But we'll need a plan."
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 10/24/2002 at 22:20 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5670 days, 5 hours, 44 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2002 at 10:43 (GMT -5)

OOC: alright i changed Meridon to Guinea.

ivan.sourceforge.net
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7192 days, 53 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

OOC: hmmm... why did ya stop?
i caould help if u didn't.. well i still can help if ya wont :))

[Please remember your OOC's folks. Thanks. -DR]
It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/30/2002 at 22:17 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 at 22:19 (GMT -5)

OOC: these things don't move as much as they sometimes used to. beats me as to why tho.

ivan.sourceforge.net
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2002 at 05:29 (GMT -5)

OOC: Anyway, when i'll finish reading, may I join this story? :)
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

OOC: sure.

ivan.sourceforge.net
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

OOC: I did :)
My char 'll be a dark elf C= wizard or something like that (a lot of elves in this story, but it's one of most popular chars, and the party don't have a REAL wizard, Guinea is more healer)
IC: a sudden voice forced them to turn: "Nah, you don't..."
A dark elf in dark robe was standing in a dark corner of room.
"Wha?!" - Iridia screamed - "Another one elf?! What Chaos [OC: no hell in ADOM, eh? :)] are you doing here?"
"Just wandering around..." - he looked at Apoc -"Looking for some goblins to eat, their meat is very delicious, when fried with a fire bolt".
Apoc automaticly cuddled up to Iridia. Not long ago, he started to feel secure near her, even not understanding that this was an effect of the amulet.
"No... - Iridia hesitated, she didn't want to tell anyone, that she began liking that goblin. - We'll eat him by ourselves!"
Apoc tried to run but she stopped him using the amulet.
"You told us, that we don't need a plan, - Sengoku said. - Why?"
"Woah, a dark elf! - Stranger said, as if he wasn't one. - That's more interesting. You DON'T need a plan, because Gorefist is NOT as powerful as you think. And he is much deeper, so you all may walk without danger of Gorefist at least three more levels [OOC: I don't like word "levels"...].
"We are not afraid of him, - said Guinea. - We are going to defeat him."
Dark elf looked at the whole party.
"You are going to slay a ghost?.. Hm-m... I can help you. [OOC: even if he's chaotic]"
"No! - Iridia cut. - We don't need YOUR help."
"We need, - Guinea said suddenly. - A spellcaster is always useful. Even if dark elven spellcaster."
"Especcialy if dark elven spellcaster", - the stranger corrected.
"Okay, okay - Iridia agreed. - What's your name then?"
"Zarge [OOC: last "e" pronounced as "a" in "bad"]. Call me just Zarge".
"So, - Iridia sighed. - Let's get moving!"
END OF CHAPTER
OOC: i suggest to make chapters in this story. First ends where Stoney says, that Hydras aer poisonous, second - where they take goblin with them, before they enter the DWARFTOWN, third - where Guinea fells unconsious, fourth - right here - "Wishing fervently that he had never thought to steal those herbs, Apoc's mind spun around the axis of one thought: Escape." Fifth - i just finished it :)
PS guys, if anyone wants, he may edit (ask mod for that) my post, 'cause there are a lotta mistakes :(

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/6/2002 at 11:51 (GMT -5) by eL]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 at 17:53 (GMT -5)

OOC: there are lots of mistakes, but i dont' have the time to fix it. if someone does and e-mails it to me i'll replace it.
IMHO chapters are a bad idea...

ivan.sourceforge.net
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 05:07 (GMT -5)

OOC: but did ya like the story? Someone must write anyway!
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

OOC: it's pretty good.
*groan* sux that i don't have much time to write in RP's any more...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

The party continued down the tunnel, the addition of the strange new member making them a bit more tense than they usually would have been. Gorefist was not as tough as he seemed, Zarge claimed. How did the dark elf know? Had he seen their enemy?

Iridia could recognize the dwarven worksmanship of the passages they now walked through. Evidently, this place had once been the habitation of dwarves, though they must have been driven out by Chaos long ago.

In a side chamber, they found an ancient forge, its fires long ago gone out.

"Sengoku, do you think you could make me a new axe?" Iridia asked. "I have some mithril ingots that you might use."
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 10/24/2002 at 22:21 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 18:28 (GMT -5)

OOC: sure you are! i think it would be easy.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7937 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 09:37 (GMT -5)

IC] Sengoku looked at the ancient forge with a smile appearing on his face.

"This looks like a powerful forge, you can see the runes of fire and steel along the sides yonder - I'll fix your axe and make it even better!"

Iridia passed him the ingots and the axe "Thanks, now I can lose this puny dagger"

Zarge watched the dark elf work with the ingots and hammer and then raised a question

"Hey brother, what kind of dark elf are you?? That's dwarf work!"

Sengoku smiled "I was raised by dwarves to do this, has anyone got a torch handy?"

Zarge then casted a fire bolt and lit the forge.

"Try that" answered Zarge

Sengoku
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 10, 2002 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

ooc: srry guys, i won't be able to post for some time... and even now.. :(( just wanted to tell ya that i've got an idea about Stoney's reaaurection... hehe... when i will come back I'll write it, just don't kill Zarge, he is enough chaotic to ask Chaotic Gods for such help ;-)... cya soon
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 03:06 (GMT -5)

IC: Hour later, the axe was fixed. Iridia looked at it and said: "Yes, I think it even became better than it was..." - she smiled at Sengoku. -"Thanks, I bet i couldn't do better..."
"Not at all" - elf answered - "that wasn't very hard."
"So, let's go downstairs." - sighed Zarge.
"What downstairs?" - asked Iridia - she didn't see any.
"Well actually the stairs are right there," - he opinted at the door - "I went there while he was making your - khem - weapon."
"And what's up with may weapon" - asked Iridia suspiciously.
"Nothing. A very good axe. Hope you'll kill many goblins with it." - he looked at Apoc.
"Than let's go" - said Sengoku, and they went through the door [OOC: err... right? :)].
OOC: end of chapte? I think it's a good idea, a nice literature trick - ending chapters on interesting places (well, walking downstairs isn't very interesting, but... :)]
IC: new chapter
The staircase looked infinite, but everyone knew, that the only infinite place in Drakalor chain is The Infinite Dungeon, which was monumented by powers of Law and distorted by powers of Chaos.
Suddenly, they found themselves in a small roon with a door.
"He is here" - Zarge said softly.
"Where?" - asked Apoc, shivering.
"On this level."
"Behind thee door?"
"No."
"Hey, what's up with you?" - Guinea looked at Zarge with [OOC: forgot the word :)] worry [OOC:?!] on hos eyes.
Silence was reply.
"Uh-oh" - Guinea sighed - "We've got trouble. The chaos is very powerful here... So I need some time to make one thing... You see, healing can be done not only with herbs... it can be done with..." - he raised his fist0
"You won't do this, will you? " - Sengoku asked carefully.
"I will." - answered healer and hit Zarge with full force.
"Ouch!" - screamed his "patient". - "What the?! What have I done?!"
"There was a *problem*" - chaos forces seemed to make you stunned, but now everything is ok."
Iridia opened the door and behind it was a long tunnel.
"A tunnel full of traps" - noticed Sengoku. I'll go first and disarm all of them."
And they went further, Sengoku was disarming traps, when suddenly he found a secret door.
"Look!" - he pointed at the wall. - "See that?"
"No" - Iridia said.
"It's a secret door, and I bet, Gorefist is there! Everyone, ready your weapon. Let's go!"
OOC: Now someone must write the battle scene, I hate writing 'em.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/15/2002 at 15:18 (GMT -5) by eL]
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6976 days, 11 hours, 18 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 09:29 (GMT -5)

OOC: What battle scene? :-))) And why on Earth did I hit Zarge?

IC: Iridia kicked the door open and leapt inside swinging with her axe and screaming dwarven war cries. Guinea and Zarge followed. High elf was holding his long sword, and the dark elf had his quarterstaff. [OOC: eL if your char uses sth else tell me and I'll change this if it's OK I'll delete this] Sengoku stayed behind with crossbow ready to shoot.

"There is noone here." - said surprised Iridia - "OUCH!" - she cried as she jumped backwards and fell on Apoc who was following her. - "Something just touched my leg!"
"Let's see what is it" - decided Guinea. He moved his hand and suddenly it was lighter. - "It's just a cat!"
"Sengoku, do you want another bet?" - asked Iridia with disapproval when she stood up. Sengoku was pretending he's not there.

Apoc screamed when the large brown cat bit him in his leg. He wanted to stab it with his dagger, but Zarge stopped him.
"Don't kill this cat. The ancient prophecy says that killing felines is very unwise." - said the dark elf
"So what am I supposed to do now?" - asked Apoc and screamed again, cause the cat bit him once more, in his hand this time.

[OOC]: eL please stop this chapter thing. Chapters aren't necessary when role-playing. We can rewrite it and divide it into chapters when we'll finish.
BTW: I think we should get rid of those endless OOC's. I suggest that everyone deletes his/hers OOC's (only those that are already unnecessary of course). I'll start deleting mine in a minute.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/15/2002 at 10:31 (GMT -5) by Guinea]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 10:42 (GMT -5)

OOC: that would be useful. i went through the origional role-play thread and killed all the pure OOC posts, i'm not goint to edit this one too.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 10:50 (GMT -5)

OOC: You went through Adom Role-Play and deleted all OOC?! Congratulations!!! I tried to read it once but there were too many characters, storylines and so on ;-). I suggest that every time this RP goes to a new page, we should delete all OOC's from the page we've just left. Maybe signatures and IC letters too. Just leave pure RP text for others to read.
The only exception should be the character list, which is quite useful and should be on top of the page we're currently writing. What do you all think?

Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

Before Iridia could stop him, Apoc kicked the cat, hard. It went flying across the room, hissing and spitting, cowering against the far wall.

Suddenly, a cloud of noxious purple energy exploded from a dark rune set into the floor.

"Pure Chaos!" Guinea exclaimed.

"Yep. There's your Chaos presence, Guinea," Iridia said. "I've seen 'em before. You don't want to step on them, trust me. They'll turn you into a blob of Chaos. Eventually, anyway."

"Yes, that would be the source of the chaotic energy... at least... some of it..." Guinea's voice trailed off; he sounded unsure of himself.

Meanwhile, the stunned cat had triggered the trap twice more.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

OOC: i only killed the posts that were nothing but OOC, and i'm not sure i got all the way through. think i did tho. from now on, lets reserve the actual RP threads for IC only (minor OOC comments, e.g. "OOC: sp?", "OOC: is that right?" etc. would be ok). i'll make another thread for OOC discussions.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7937 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

"Someone grab that damn cat while I disarm this curruption trap, the less of these there are down here the better!"

Iridia quickly grabbed the cat and stuffed it into a leather bag.

Sengoku then swiftly disarmed the trap just before an closed door flew open to reveal a whole room full of bloodthirsty vampires!
The atmosphere darkenned and the stench of decay and death was in the air.

"Ohh crap, we've got enemies, El we need more light in here!" creid Senogku as he loosed an arrow in their direction.

The vampires leapt down the corridor and started to sprawl into the room, some were climbing along the walls and some used the shadows to silently advance.

Iridia raised her mighty axe and as Sengoku reloaded, El stepped aside Guinea as he muttered arcane words, Guinea held his sword in a defensive combat form.

"If anyone has any good ideas, they should do it now!" Iridia muttered.

Sengoku
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 at 15:24 (GMT -5)

"Back up into the corridor before we get surrounded! Now!" Zarge commanded them. Iridia and Guinea stood towards the front of the group; Sengoku fired arrows into the vampires while Zarge prepared to start throwing spells. The vampires advanced; the battle was joined, and they found themselves fighting for their lives. If they were going to win at all, it would be a close shave...

Physical attacks did little to stave off the vampires' advance. They all but ignored Sengoku's deadly-accurate arrows, not even bothering to dodge them.

Guinea kept parrying with his longsword, but seemed preoccupied as he muttererd arcane words to himself, trying to remember a spell, then darted out, touching a vampire. It screamed, smoking, stunned. "What'd you do!" Iridia yelled, hacking the arm off another vampire, which completely ignored the loss.

"Blessed it!" Guinea almost laughed as another vampire reeled backwards, stumbling. "And this one gets my best healing spell!" Guinea's efforts were taking their toll on the vampires. Soon, three of them lay on the ground, incapacitated.

But Guinea was tiring. "I'm a healer, not a wizard," he shouted over the din. "Zarge, do something!"

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/24/2002 at 22:22 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 at 22:39 (GMT -5)

Guinea had hardly gotten the words out of his mouth when what looked like a fiery missile suddenly sprang from Zarge's upraised fingertips. The missile zipped past Guinea and struck a vampire in the middle of the group and exploded. Five vampires were hit; one of them screamed, crumpled to dust, and disappeared. Iridia's axe took care of two more of the stunned vampires.

They backed off just in time to avoid being hit by another of Zarge's fireballs. Three more vampires were hit. The party finished them off as well. One left.

"I can't do any more!" Zarge cried. "You'll have to finish him yourselves!"

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 at 02:39 (GMT -5)

Guniea had fallen back; exausted from his spells; he knew he would be of little use in this state. Sengoku was trying to reload his crossbow, but kept fumbling; his arm had a long bloody gash in it. Zarge had collapsed. Apoc was nowhere to be seen.
Grimly, Iridia readied her axe and took a step towards the vampires. Both had quarrels sprouting from different portions of their decaying bodies. One was even missing part of an arm. But both appeared as healthy as Stoney had, before his fall.
Suddenly, the corridor filled with a low whirr. This was rapidly followed by a sharp snap, resulting in one of the remaining vampires' face caving in. The incapacitated creature reeled backwards and collapsed in a heap. Then, with a earsplitting scream of terror, a small blueish shape hurled out of the darkness and into the remaining vampire. Caught completely by suprise, the vampire hissed and fell to the ground. In a few seconds the fight was resolved, and Apoc curled into a ball and began whimpering. The vampire's head had been hacked off, and the dagger was still standing in it's chest.

OOC: decided that it was time our goblin friend did something useful.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

For a moment, Iridia just stood there, axe still at ready, unable to quite believe her eyes. Apoc was huddled in a corner, as usual, but there was the dagger, and there were the motionless vampires.

Slowly, the exhausted Zarge picked himself up and put a hand on the wall to steady himself. Guinea dug a bandage from his pack and began wrapping it on Sengoku's cut. Sengoku, who had put away his crossbow, looked at Iridia and smiled wryly. "You can put your axe down now, friend," he said.

Iridia did so, still amazed that Apoc had managed to save all their lives. And, if that weren't enough, she hadn't even thought about the amulet during the entire battle.

Suddenly Zarge turned completely around towards the wall. With a finger, he traced the outlines of yet another secret door.

"He must be through this door," Zarge exclaimed. "Your quest is almost done!"

"No way," said Iridia. "We're staying right here until we're good and ready for whatever Gorefist decides to throw at us. Your magic can't be near half its full power yet."

"I know mine isn't," said Guinea. "And, after those vampires, who knows what we can expect. Who knows." Guinea shuddered.

As they sat down to recover, Iridia turned disgustedly away from Apoc, who had begun eating the remains of the vampires...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/22/2002 at 01:31 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 at 17:01 (GMT -5)

OOC: lol! somehow i know why he's eating the vamps... hmm, what to write...

IC: "Someone please tell me why that damn goblin is eating those... corpses?"
Guinea started, and then stared. "Corpses..." he muttered, and then moved over to one. Carefully, he used his sword to saw off a finger. After examining it, he took a small bite. Immediately he spat it out. "Friends," he said, standing, "the corpses of the Undead often still contain the energy that strengthened them. By eating the corpses, we could become more powerful."
Shuddering, Sengoku moved towards one. "We're going to need all the power we can get for Gorefist."
Before he could get to the corpse, Guinea stopped him. "The energy is dark! Consuming it will turn your will nearer that of evil. It is a risk you might not want to take!"
Meanwhile, Apoc had ceased his consuming of corpses and was now lying on the ground. Somehow, he seemed larger than he had before.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

Iridia turned away from the now rapidly decomposing vampires. "I'm not taking a chance on it," she said. The two elves nodded in agreement, but Zarge shrugged, said, "Suit yourselves," and proceeded to stuff the remaining corpses into his pack.

"I think we're ready to go on now," Guinea said presently.

"Yeah. Let me check this door for traps," said Sengoku as he walked over to it and began carefully probing its edges.

Iridia was rummaging through her pack. She brought out a green crystal. "Good time to use this," she commented. "We can see the caves beyond this door."

"Are you sure?" Sengoku wanted to know. "You might want to save that for later..."

"Just watch. This place is full of tricks. We need to know about it." As Iridia's hand warmed the crystal, it began glowing, brighter and brighter until the light almost blinded them. Suddenly, the walls seemed transparent, and they could see a large area of the caves around them! As the light faded, the crystal crumpled into silvery dust.

"Well?" Iridia said, smiling. "Told you." They had all seen that beyond the door was yet another small room--filled, probably, with yet another group of undead. A large chamber, with a secret door on the other side of the room, looked much more promising.

"But will Gorefist be there?" Zarge wondered.

"Oh, yes. He's got enough of an ego to choose the most magnificent caves he can get for his lair," Sengoku said. "No doubt about it. If I know the legends, he'll be there. This used to be an old dwarven court, you know."

"Well?" Iridia said. "Do we go in now?"

Several nods answered her. Sengoku moved towards the second secret door and began checking it for traps; yet another explosive rune was carefully disarmed. The door was unlocked; then it swung open...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 23, 2002 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

But instead of swarms of once-living bodies waiting to make an attempt at eating the companions, only two figures stood in the room.
Standing on the far side of the room was a huge skeletal .... thing, that may once have been humanoid. Now, however, it was twice as huge as a troll. Three arms clutched a massive greatsword, while two others wielded a battleaxe and a mace; the sixth sported a giant crystalline shield. A huge horned helm covered a skull that looked like it once belonged to a giant of some kind. The lower jaw, however, showed huge teeth that had to have come off of a dragon. Shining chain mail covered the rest of the undead beast's body.
Next to it was a creature that seemed dimunitive in comparison. This being seemed to be an elf, but it was pale and misty; it seemed as though it was neither real nor unreal. It's robes were similar, as was the long staff it wielded. The only real part of the whole creation was the stone that topped the staff. It was black as a nightmare, and "glowed" with a dark light that seemed to leave a shadowy hole in reality. Even though it was much smaller, and didn't even seem to exist fully, the group was far more terrified of this guardian than of the skeleton.

OOC: got tired of the big battle type scenes, decided to give the group a boss-type scenario. i'm thinking that another member of the group maybe could get incapacitated during this fight? parhaps the ghost-mage thing could cast some spell that terrifies one of the members into immobility?

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 at 03:41 (GMT -5)

Apoc scowled in terror and rushed back to the door they came through, but it suddenly closed itself and hit poor goblin in the face. He squeaked painfully and ran to the door they didn't open yet, but Iridia stopped him.

"We must fight!" said Iridia. "There is no way out."

"I don't like it." said Guinea, holding his sword "One hit from that bastard and I'm dead, and this ghostly one seems to be very powerful."

"Why aren't they attacking?" whispered Zarge.

"They are waiting for us to attack." answered Guinea. "We have no other choice and they know that as well as we do."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/24/2002 at 03:53 (GMT -5) by Guinea]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Iridia moved to the front, axe ready. The group advanced on the two creatures.
As they came to within ten feet of the creatures, the two undead seemed to come to life, and the chaotic energy that powered them became almost palpable. The skeleton brought its sword down, preparing to crush several of them at one blow. Iridia raised her axe and caught the sword on her axe. She felt the force of the blow through her entire body, but Sengoku's workmanship was good, and the axe held. Before the thing could recover, Iridia dodged under the creature's two remaining weapons and caught the creature's bony leg in the backswing of the axe. A chip came off the bone, and the creature screamed, maddened, and readied itself for another attack. It was huge... strong... but it wasn't any faster than Iridia or her companions. She resolved to use that fact to her advantage. Apoc was still cowering near the door; she concentrated on the amulet and brought him running reluctantly towards her. The skeletal horror started after the goblin.

Guinea and Sengoku had both loaded missiles into their bows and retreated further back from the melee. Neither was too willing to get close to either the spectral form or the menacing skeleton. A quarrel and an arrow, released almost simultaneously, both found their marks; however, one was deflected by the crystalline shield, and the other passed right through its target.

Zarge had not backed off. Now he was close enough to touch the ghostly form. Chanting, he stretched his fingertips out towards it, and flames suddenly burst from the tips of his fingers and, for a brief moment, engulfed the creature. It reciprocated with a bolt of energy which hit Zarge, throwing him backwards. The wizard picked himself up and started chanting again.

Now the shadow was waving its staff in the air. The black stone seemed to suck in chaotic energy from the air around it. Zarge felt his own power draining away, even as he saw the creature growing stronger... and now it had moved between him and the two elves, trapping him between the ghostly mage and the skeletal creature, which was still heading towards the goblin.

Raising its staff, the ghost screamed incomprehensible words. From the tip of the staff came what looked like a red missile, headed straight towards Zarge.

Suddenly something hit Zarge from the side, knocking him to the floor for the second time. It was Iridia, who had glimpsed his predicament. The missile zipped past them, past the bony creature's shield, and smacked into its rib cage, where it exploded into a fireball! The creature, severely hurt now, screamed in what passed for agony--for the undead, anyway.

Meanwhile, the spectral mage had not noticed Guinea sneaking up behind it, intending to let loose with his best spells...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 9/22/2002 at 01:32 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Go to page 1 2 3 4

This thread have been closed, no new messages can be posted here.