Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Assasins guide

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

Excellent work. Very informative, even I learned one or two things I've never heard of before.

A minor thing: You mention rings of weakness as a means of increasing strength, but forget to explain how that actually works. A new player reading your guide is probably going to become confused. "A ring of weakness? Preferable to a girdle of giant strength? What drugs is that guy taking?" :)

Also, I would have included a description on Herbalism if I were the writer of this guide (which, lacking your assassination expertise, I am lucky not to be). Some people advocate choosing Herbalism over Healing, and it's probably not a bad idea to discuss the merits of this strategy and let the reader of the guide decide for himself.

A higher Herbalism skill enables your assassin to identify early found herbs as well as gather herbs a lot faster. The earlier you can produce potions of blindness, the better for your survival.

I mean, I'd still take Healing, but it's something to think about.

This would also mean including a section on how to defeat Keethrax, of course...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

Nice guide, pretty thorough. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with assassins (I class I normally avoid). I love your comment about how dark elf assassins are actually fairly poor - kind of a kick in the face to all those that choose the combo out of "coolness".

One thing you fail to note though is that elven assassins (especially grey and dark) can become quite decent spellcasters, especially if born in the Book and you somehow get Concentration. I get the impression this isn't really your playstyle though (personally I try to get most characters into some element of spellcasting). The Book and Cup starsigns are also pretty nice for raising all those decent skills.

Some little things perhaps worth mentioning:
-Dodge is best trained in late game by running around barbarian packs in the wilderness and dodging their arrows.
-amulets of light negate stealth in the same way as torches
-eternium gear is easily found from chaos knights, and usually in a game you can find something decent like eternium plate mails of life/resilience/carrying, which when smithed up can be preferable to NC.
-blessed weapons works better on undead/demons - applies to both missiles and melee. In particular blessed arrows/quarrels of humanoid/demon slayng make short work of the emperor moloch.

Could be worth adding some tips about Keethrax for Candle-born assassins that don't care about healing - namely have a light source and try to take him out with missiles.

And back to the subject of spells, I'd suggest adding in a section about some handy spells for assassins and how to use them effectively. In particular Invisibility is good for backstabbing (or combining with bolt spells when you want to remain untouched), and Farsight is great for sniping monsters (especially the bosses like Keriax). Darkness helps against a huge range of enemies too, and teleportation can almost always get you out of trouble.

Also, no D50 advice?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 at 18:19 (GMT -5)

Regarding elves, they start with very high Le and Mana (sometimes hard to raise significantly until later in the game) as well as a very good natural regen rate. Higher literacy obviously helps too. Whilst others races can maybe catch up eventually, grey elves in particular have an excellent head start. Of course this doesn't make up for their shortcomings overall, but for anyone who wants a spell-casting assassin it's something to be considered.

I was curious as to what your advice would be against the balors and Fisty on D50 - I've not gotten that far with an assassin myself. (what characters I have gotten that far have been so ridiculously powerful that the balors were barely noticed)

Thanks for the heads-up on spear traps, Soirana. I've long thought that was the case, but this research obviously puts it beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5328 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

I still think that the mana temple should not be cleaned, instead just kill the damn boss. He will pass enemies and is the fastest mthrfckr there, so as soon as he starts doing *anything*(do, yes the verb that indicates action. anything, somewhat harder to explain :) just run away and he'll follow. Run far enough and he'll be alone. Far enough is between halfway and the exit point of the corridor that just thrashed all the good stuff from backpack. All you need to have to use this tactic, is a pair of seven league boots that weren dissolved by acid traps.

Sad, lonely superbosses should be rather easily dispatched, cooked and fed to the druid.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5736 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 at 18:13 (GMT -5)

awesome guide ^.^
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 21:45 (GMT -5)

I didn't get to read it. I see the "reviews" here and am pleased and the constant opportunities to learn more about this game.
I played many characters at a time on my other machine. Now I am playing one at a time on this machine, and I have a Male Orc Assassin, currently at level 14. I am looking for a way to get intrinsics to protect me for the pyramid(resist to stun, paralysis, sick...
My char has eaten a fire bug corpse(50% chance at fire immunity?), a fire drake corpse(fire resistance?), 2 or 3 spider corpses(poison resistance), a giant slug corpse(acid IMMUNITY).
I missed an opportunity to eat an invisible stalker corpse and troll corpse. My treasure hunter talent may have helped as I found thieves' picks and a spear of hunting(not yielding as many corpses as of late). Not sure if cursed by hag...
Spartan Spratacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 01, 2014 at 14:45 (GMT -5)

Assasin guide has somehow disapeared from here.

Wear armors that have better protection value over better defence in pyramid. identify all quarrels and arrows you have weapon to use. If you are lucky there is a stack of undead slaying. These help immensely to kill Repheteph.You could also do big room fist to get curaria and maybe some spenseweed,up to you if wanna farm for stoma and moss/morgia stat training.Generally speaking you dont have to do pyramid until at lv 16 as it doesnt close until at lv 17 and extra hp from levels help, also this helps you cumulate more items that might help. getting to dwarf town gets you alingned altar to get piety for emergency healing or status removal and a way to bless your waters and get blessed weapons wich do more damage to undead.

firebug gives resistance half the time.
Only way to get innate fire immunity is via crowning

A fire drake corpse does give 100% fire resistance
far as i know

spider corpses allvays give poison resistanse.Well not caos one

If eating stalkers corpses keep in mind that it is not sure if blessed and uncursed corpse cant give invisible status it is sure that cursed can. So if you want see invisible bless the corpse as its attleast a very small chance that blessed invisible you. If you WANT invisible status keep in mind that it makes completing arena VERY difficult as arena master do not let you fight invisible. Only way to get temporelly visible is to drink potion of visibility wich are rare and you gonna need several for 20 fights

20000 gold and acces to altar gets you free of curse and si + junk gets that for you easily

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: