Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / We have a winner

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5980 days, 3 hours, 36 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 15:20 (GMT -5)

My very first win! A gray elven archer finally was able to close the gate of ChAoS (regular win, thank you), after sooooo many dead characters... I've been playing the dang game for about 4 years!

My problem is: I thought I made a .flg file but I can't find it anywhere. Is there still some way for my character to make it to the Hall of Fame?
All your base are belong to us.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

Here's a tribute to persistance!
Good job.
I wonder what it was that finaly
gave you the edge?

Your .flg file should be in the
working folder of your executable.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 19:29 (GMT -5)

The flg should be in your normal ADOM folder. If not I think there's still enough info from your high score file to complete the details on the Hall of Fame.

Well done on completion, I know how difficult it can be after so many years of failure... Hopefully you'll have more success to come :)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 21 hours, 13 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

Congrats Cristus! For perservering after what has probably been the very frustrating loss of many beloved characters. ADOM mirrors life in a way, in that eventually all good things we strive to build and keep get ruined and taken away from us.

6 years of playing here, and no win yet. I am kind of a risk taker, or I'll save scum and then lose interest in that character after awhile. Archer will probably be my first also, favorite class, and 2nd most powerful from start to finish after wizards. That will probly touch off a debate, "What about bards with killer bugs, or high level mindcrafters, or necromancers with quickling king liches?" *rolls eyes*
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 7 hours, 50 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 05:16 (GMT -5)

Congratulations very much on this major accomplishment!

Four years is pretty good, I think that's about what it took me. And it was a high elven archer for me...

(Do you happen to have read my guide? I like to feel useful. :) )
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 09:33 (GMT -5)

The .flg file is nowhere to be found... *sigh* I was playing on a Mac, btw. At least, I know I made it, and without scumming. I did save scum some times, but like Nightmare, I loose interest in those characters after a while.

What gave me the final edge? Not sure, but my characters were always dying around level 18-20. ToEF, especially, was a killer. I think I just learned to use games feature better, slowly. Once I got to level 24-25, the rest was almost a walk in the park. I found out that with the right ammo, an archer may kill just about anything. Those archery talents are VERY useful. Archer seems the easiest one to me, that and Healer even if I'm still to win with this one.

Sorry Silfir, I deserted this board for a while and came back only for bragging about my victory. ;-) So, I bookmarked your blog only yesterday! I have 2 exams next week, but I promise you I'm gonna read it very attentively next week. I just happen to *love* those kind of guides, even if too lazy to write one myself.

Oh! And I'm quite happy to see this board is mor alive than ever. Long live ADOM!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 9 hours, 25 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

You can install a file monitoring
program for your mac. Start a new
PC, make a new sav file, and see
where it is stored. Your .flg file
shouldn't be far away.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 21 hours, 13 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 16:44 (GMT -5)

Yeah after 25 or so, you just have to backup your game, because at that point the duration of the game makes it very vulnerable to crashes. I've lost dozens of great characters to windows crashes or ADOM bugs.

Of course, with the file backed up, the temptation to save scum when some particularly unfavorable event transpires is problematic. Like a trap destroying your 7 League Boots & Girdle of Carrying. Or running into a wildcat while cruising through the upper levels of CoC.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 at 22:56 (GMT -5)

I can't seem to be able to find it, but it seems that the Mac doesn't allow you to see all the files there is to be. A search doesn't help me. Or maybe I *think* I saved a .flg but actually haven't. Oh! Boy! I guess I'll just have to win the game again (I have this very promising weaponsmith...).
Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4509 days, 5 hours, 29 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

"Do you want to generate a character savefile? (y/N)"
This is the only one having "No" by default... so if you press Space or Enter after your win you won't get a flg file...
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

I guess that may have happen... *sigh*
Portrait
LordMcHash
Registered user

Last page view:

5913 days, 4 hours, 18 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

LoL! Just like in life your greatest accomplishments go unsung!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: