Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Too many wishes?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

I've got an extremely promising drakish wizard on the go, currently level 22 with insanely nice stats. Problem is I now have 13 RoDSes that I don't fully need, and more importantly don't feel I wholly deserve.

Firstly, let me just moan a moment about how long I searched for a wish to save Khelly. I drained all pools, dug all graves, checked out the water cave, but no luck. This involved losing teleportation control 3 times (I had some corpses backed up, so it was okay), getting doomed countless times and having to go remove it, and ending up perma invis for the game (which always annoys me). I then dove to ID24/25, hopping up and down the stairs and chcking out every tension/threat room, pickpocketing and killing all monsters. After several hours real time I was on the brink of giving up and letting the old bugger die when suddenly I pickpocketed a steel amulet from an ettin. No need for a wish - I'd gotten the goods first-hand!

So, after then toiling back up the ID I returned to the CoC and checked out the potion shop I'd found on D5. It had restocked nicely, including PoGA ingredients (boost speed + longevity), extra healing ingredients (cure poison + invisibility!) and 3 potions of exchange. In need of some SLBs I thought what the hell, might as well dip some rings, not expecting anything out of it. First dip, rings of the fish - hah! Second dip, rings of doom - even more hah! Third dip, 13 rings of djinni summoning - oh shit.

So, hmm, I do want to spend one wish on SLBs, since I feel I deserve a wish after all the trouble I've been through. The other 12 though? I don't need them at all, and I've always had a kinda negative attitude towards scummy tactics like ring-dipping. Should I get rid of them or use them to buff up my char even more?

Things I could wish for:

-Ring of weakness (to really scum myself up)
-PoGA recipes. 10 wishes for potions of boost speed and longevity could get me an extra +15 to every stat (on top of the base 33 St, 34 Wi, 39 To, 38 Ma).
-Skills, or scrolls of education (which would let me make use of the two writing sets I have to make loads more). Can't think of any skills I really need though, unless I want to just get them all for completeness.
-Eternium gear, though my DV/PV is 96/44 as it is on Coward, and I've got enough nice stuff for now (inc emerald dagger and Preserver).
-GoGS, always welcome.
-SoCRs. Didn't get any from the mystic, but will obviously get plenty from Khelly, Mad Minstrel and Bug Cave. It's past 90 days now, but I don't really forsee much trouble with corruption.
-Spellbooks of acid ball. Have ice, lightning and improved fireball, but the classic acid would be handy.

I'm fine for the tower - no rings of ice, but I figure I'll storm in with all fireproof gear. Have the necessary resistances, plenty of castings of ice ball, and a tonne of blessed extra healing potions to offset drakeling heat damage (damn I love alchemy). Not planning on ultra (want a normal ending for once), so I have little worry about satisfying Gaab'Baay or saving wishes for speed.

I bet after posting about this my char will die horribly...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/18/2007 at 04:20 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5804 days, 17 hours, 49 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

Whatever you do, do not move before you decide what to do with the rings. I bet there is an acid trap or something waiting out there, ready to destroy your precious rings.

And consider carefully do your actions really qualify as a scummy tactic. For some people they probably would, for others they would not. It was only three dippings into potions you happened to come across with, not really a wish engine or anything.
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

RoDSes are made of adamantium, so no danger there :) As for scumminess, I dunno... It feels like too much luck undeserved. A couple of wishes, fine, but 13?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5804 days, 17 hours, 49 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

Is luck something you deserve?

Gotta go now, no time for more in-depth consideration, but I think you get what I mean.
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5928 days, 15 hours, 35 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

Just drop'em somewhere safe in case you need something later (certain quest items for example, ...)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

If I had thirteen wishes at that point of the game, I'd totally go for an ultra. I've won nine times regular style, dammit...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

Wish for an AoLS! Preserver only goes so far to saving your life.
Get a GoGS.
What is your armor and shield? Armor should be dragon scale mail or eternium, shield nothing less than eternium tower shield. You have wishes to spare, get your eternium gear.

That's four wishes at most so far.

Spend a wish or two on SoE.

That leaves four wishes for PoGA recipes and you still have three wishes in case of ultra.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 14 hours, 40 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

A somewhat recent post by darren

>Khelly always gets his amulet from me
>courtesy of the darkforge pools.

A more recent post by darren

>Firstly, let me just moan a moment about
>how long I searched for a wish to save
>Khelly. I drained all pools, dug all
>graves, checked out the water cave, but
>no luck.

I'm starting to think the RNG can hear us :)

I seem to recall reading in one of the hall
of fame .flg files, an interesting way to
use wishes, it might be useful here. The
process was to go to the SMC, become invisible,
wish for Ancient Karmic Wyrms and magic missile
them to death for the experience points. By
using the wishes this way, you would not be
getting anything you couldn't have gotten
anyway, by just fighting more monsters. I don't
personally know if AKW's see invisible, as I
have never tested it.

Another option is to sell the rings. You did
obtain them fairly and should get some reward
for them. If it turns out that you later need
a wish, you can fairly just purchase them back.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 20:53 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I was hoping no one would remember that, gut :( Normally any game I have no trouble getting Khelly his present, but obviously the wheels of fortune had to change for me at some point... Still, this is a most where I bemoan having too many wishes, so I can't say my char is having too hard a time.

F50: Character has white dragon scale mail and a crystal tower shield - no need for eternium gear, especially since I know I'll find plenty later. What do you mean by SoE? Scrolls of education? And there's no way I'm swapping Preserver over for an AoLS! If I die it can only be by some stupid mistake of mine, and I'll deserve it then. And Preserver's too god damned nice...
F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5476 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

Forgot something of great importance that you should wish for:

Wish for "Emperor Moloch". In the barbarian's glade. There's water there, so they can't energy-boost kill you.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 14 hours, 40 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 21:48 (GMT -5)

I think winning will be no problem for
this character. The only thing I can
think of that would actually be useful,
would be using the wishes to increase
your score. Killing Greater Molochs
will certainly do that! With the
teleport spell, it should be pretty safe.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

I don't want to break the game by getting myself to level 50 before hitting any of the temples. I want at least some pretense of challenge :P Anyway, I wouldn't be able to take out all those GMs so easily - my char's very poor with missiles, so it would involve a lot of boring castings of magic missile/acid bolt.

I just got myself crowned neutral to take away the temptation of ultra. Got staff of the wanderer (blah) and fire immunity (handy). Since I have shock and cold immunity already (lightning lizard corpse and white dragon scale mail) hopefully an acid slug at some point will give me the full set.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4486 days, 11 hours, 59 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 22:52 (GMT -5)

as difficult as this game is, 12 wishes is NOT scummy congrats!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 at 02:12 (GMT -5)

Well, temptation overcame me. I got some SLBs, a GoGS, spellbooks of acid ball, scrolls of edu (which were useless) and lots of PoGA ingredients. I've saved 2 of the rings for a rainy day. Base stats are up to silly heights - Wi 53, To 61, Ma 56. Check out the other topic I started to see the guy in action in the tower...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/19/2007 at 02:15 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: