Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Win without scumming?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 14 hours, 27 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

Gray arrows are mithril, adamantium, or eternium, but not arrows of slaying.

And to find arrows and quarrels of slaying, just pick up all unidentified ones!

And fancy artifacts help, but aren't necessary to win.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5834 days, 10 hours, 2 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

Oh. <_< Yeah, makes sense. I forgot, it was a long time.

By the way, 100 fletchery + level 18 archer -> lots of arrows. And nothing better than fletching 80 arrows of slaying from one lousy tree log, no? (I'm yet to have such luck, but I've had some nice ones. Unerring arrows, for example, or those of targeting, or those of undead slaying...)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

I don't remember colors, but I think some specialized slaying ammo have special colors, and probably are made of better materials. (Arrow "of slaying" has just a suffix which does not change colors, but arrow "of ... slaying" is a different type of item and may have a different color.)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 12:31 (GMT -5)

It may have, but it doesn't. All arrows except the higher metal and artifact arrows and are brown. I'm pretty sure about that.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Not logged in
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 18:58 (GMT -5)

I pretty much agree with Silfir in that "arrows of foo slaying" are brown. All slaying quarrels are brown too! So those can be identified by their colour, as normal quarrels made of iron, mithril, etc. are grey. I think.
Portrait
LordMcHash
Registered user

Last page view:

5917 days, 10 hours, 55 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2007 at 22:47 (GMT -5)

Irregardless, it is still damned impossible to beat the game without scumming. Anyone who says otherwise or says that they have dont it without are LIARS. And I am calling them out.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 at 00:59 (GMT -5)

Well, you're a close-minded simpering buffoon unable to distinguish reality from his own indeficiencies.

(Was that taunt linguistically correct?)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/30/2007 at 00:59 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5671 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2007 at 17:24 (GMT -5)

McHahs, have you tried a game called Diablo 2? Might be just the right game for you. Just don't try the hardcore mode, because it's impossible to win without cheating.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

Diablo 2 Hardcore = about as difficult as ADOM, minus the fun. That. So you might wanna recommend him a game in which the objective is not to win... right?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3124 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

I'd disagree about not having fun in diablo 2 Hardcore.
Being a necromancer is a lot more fun if you can make legions without the "maybe it'll leave a corpse? Ofcourse not, RNG will now make it so only non-humanoids leave corpses." and the (short term) mana stat investment.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 08:24 (GMT -5)

I didn't say I didn't have fun in DII Hardcore. That's the only mode in DII I consider worth playing. Heh. But DII always was, is and will be MFing. :(
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

@Maelstrom: Depends on how you look at it. Doesn't not knowing when you will get a workable corpse add some more excitement?
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 19 hours, 39 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

I remember D2 hardcore too. Never went back to "soft" after it. Like, whats the point. Did not beat hell solo, though.

I truly wonder if Lordhash is serious or just troll-arguing. I remember a time when I was save-scumming, and though "I am dying a LOT, so how the heck can anyone do this without saving even ONCE?" But the answer was of course that I was badly prepared in several ways, and therefore walking too close to death's edge all the time.

Some people earlier in this thread wrote very truly, what CAN kill a well equipped and skilled highlevel PC? Emperor liche can drain stats, and that is unwanted, but how would I go about to die to one? Apart from forgetting death resistance, which along with paralyzation is the one resistance you DO need to be careful about late-game?

Late game you have smithed up everything you wear, and might have close to 100 PV and more DV. You deal 100 damage every blow, and probably have a choice of different slaying weapons to double/triple this damage. You have high speed and either wear 7lb or have a class power so you can outrun anything. Your stats are all high, you have 700 hitpoints, enough PP to wipe out a lot of monsters if you are a magi. Along with almost any spell in the game (courtesy of the library)

A lot of people, and even myself, have posted ultimate winners on the HoF. Even if someone believes they were save-scummed, you have to acknowledge that they DID kill off AnDoR - and a char that can kill him certainly have no problems in the game.

So mabye you don't believe it is possible to get that powerful, because of all these dice rolls, one of which is bound to fail...trick is just to never get in over your head, run when available, and improve your character any chance you get.

Two things that makes winning characters is herbalism and smithing. Try playing a weaponsmith, get him to dwarftown. Melt down iron items for the ingots, gather ore from the ants, use SI-sales to get money to pay for usage of the forge. Smith up your starting stuff. When you now have at least 20 DV and PV at level 6, play somewhat carefully, and go forth and win the game. Get candle starting sign, get herbalism, make sure to have long stride talent. Now you can fight a lot of tough monsters, you can run away and heal. No reason to die.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3124 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 10:22 (GMT -5)

Silfir - Not really, it adds to the rutine, just like MFing in DII.
If you want to play the overlord of an undead army, you need an army. In DII you get one - 50 skeletons and "wights" is the usual. In ADOM you get a few bodyguards and you're still more powerfull then your whole "army" put together (not counting the special cases, for those we have 120 minions in DII and quickling queen vampires/liches in ADOM).

It's fun to watch your minions swarming the helpless enemies, tearing them to pieces, ovewhelming the much stronger demons.
What I find excinting about necromancers would be the equivalent of raising an Undead Fistanarius and using him and his now also undead balors as champions, against Andor Drakon. Doable in Diablo II, not possible in ADOM.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/31/2007 at 10:23 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

To win the game, at least regular style, not even Smithing is required most of the time.

What also helps a lot is the possession of a teleport source.
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4778 days, 5 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

McHash's opinion actually matched my own when I first found the hall of fame. I simply couldn't beleive that winning the game was possible, and Ultra endings seemed like nothing more than an extended bost.
So I know where he's coming from.

However having the patience to see if it was possible, I changed my playing style, took my time and learned about the game.

Now with a win, and an ultra acheived without scumming, I doubt very little that is written on these boards. The feats achieved by the regulars on this board beat my own by some distance, but their word is beyond question IMO.
The game is without a doubt much richer for those who do not scum.
The only question for McHash is will you ever try to believe and attempt it yourself, or will you merely remain a doubting troll.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

He officially converted to N= in another thread, so I guess he is over his ADOM depression now :)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 19 hours, 39 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 13:14 (GMT -5)

...but you couldn't raise unique monsters in DII. Only as generic skeletons. Revives could only be made from normal monsters. So no to Fistanarius tear a new one for ..sOmEoNe.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5671 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

In DII you got exp for the skeleton's kills though.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: