Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / What *EXACTLY* can smithing do

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
LordMcHash
Registered user

Last page view:

5913 days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 01:15 (GMT -5)

So I'm not sure if I want to waste the time or effort investing in smithing. Is this a mistake?

Can I use smithing to make swords of sharpness better? Phase daggers better?

What can I do with smithing?
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 19 hours, 28 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 02:02 (GMT -5)

*EDITED*

Most non-Artifact weapons and armor can be upgraded through smithing.

Some key points to remember.

***MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD***

1. Smelting ore is a relatively easy way to increase your smithing skill. If you fail, you don't lose the ore.

2. Making items such as quarrels rusty then removing the rust can bring your skill up.

3. Smithing iron items is the easiest to accomplish at lower skill levels. You may want to save your Adamantium and Eternium ore for when you skill approaches 90+, depending on your patience and tolerance of risk. If you fail to improve an item with smithing, you lose the piece of ore. Even with skill at 100 you fail a lot, and the higher you smith an item the harder it is to improve it further.

4. You need a good stash of food, because a lot of game time can pass quickly.

5. The quality of items can increase drastically. A simple +0+1 metal cap can become a +7+7 metal cap. The cost? About twenty some odd iron ingots, and about 10 minutes or less. Doing this with multiple items can triple your current DV/PV. Weapons can gain big to hit and to damage bonuses, in addition to a point of DV.

6. It's good to wear different metals, because when you mine for ore with a pickaxe, you get a variety of the 4 metals. The weaker metals, you get more of them, so use it to smith up a backup piece of equipment or two. Or save it in case you find something later that you'd want to improve.

7. Make sure you do the smithing in a non-corrupting place, with the amount of time passing, you could end up with a bunch of corruptions.

8. Girdles of carrying or giant strength, anything that increases strength is necessary as ore weighs a lot and so will the anvil and all the equpment you'll want to improve. Find a safe place near the forge to use as a staging point and leave unecessary items and stuff you'll only need when you're smithing, like the anvil and hammer.

9. Don't get too cocky, even when fully smithed up items and with large DV/PV bonuses. I've noticed I'll take more risks after smithing, figuring I could afford to.

10. Attacking corrosive slimes such as grey ooze wit a pickaxe until it's about -8 -8 or so, will greatly reduce it's repair cost with the Dwarven Smith. Without doing that, you could be paying 5k+ per repair. Of course, pickaxes are the main use for scrolls of repair too. The mining skill, IIRC, reduces the chance the pickaxe will break, in addition to decreasing the time it takes to mine.

11. You'll generate a number of Stone Giant corpses while mining, eat them up, IIRC even if you don't get a point of strength initially, it still trains your strength. You may see the increase later. Also, if you have the gemology skill, you'll generate some crystals of knowledge, when blessed they are good for +1-2 learning and reveal a portion of unexplored map.

"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/2/2008 at 12:13 (GMT -5) by Nightmare]
Portrait
LordMcHash
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

But can I smith swords of sharpness into ludicrously sharp swords of sharpness, or phase daggers into ludicrously penetrating phase daggers?
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5830 days, 1 hour, 40 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 04:33 (GMT -5)

Yes.

A tip: if you want to smith extensively in Dwarftown, you will want to remove corruption - what two above said - if it's on D:10 or D:11. Two scrolls of peace will do, however.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/2/2008 at 04:34 (GMT -5) by Battle bunny]
Portrait
LordMcHash
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

What if I've already rust proofed my phase daggers and swords of sharpness, will I still be able to smith them without losing the rustproof?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

Non-corrupting levels with forges should be found in the Unremarkable Dungeon, at least if the RNG doesn't hate you.

It's probably best to mine and smith all the ore in one session so you don't have to carry it around for ages.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 52 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 12:16 (GMT -5)

Smithing doesn't remove any improvements you've already made to your weapons. IIRC it doesn't even remove poisoning.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4959 days, 12 hours, 53 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

I love smithing. I don't normally smith my weapons much though, unless I have an aforementioned phase dagger, in which case I don't stop until it picks up an armour bonus or two.

To my mind, smiths should be Armoursmiths rather than Weaponsmiths, as I spend way more time smithing my cap, girdle, armour, shield, boots, etc...
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5807 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 03:25 (GMT -5)

Couple questions about smithing skill:

If I have a higher smithing skill, can I make better items? There seems to be maximum value for how high DV you can smith for your armor, for example. Does this maximum value increase when the skill level goes higher?

It seems to me that applying smithing once can improve DV or PV of armor by +1, +2 or +3, and my smithing is around 55. Does these values increase when the skill level goes higher, would it be possible to get +5 DV when applying level 100 smithing once, for example.
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 5 hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 05:59 (GMT -5)

There is no maximum value, as far as I'm aware, just diminishing chances. Eventually it gets so low that you might as well not bother. Obviously the smithing skill raises those chances. It also reduces the time taken up by smithing.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5807 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 06:24 (GMT -5)

Really? Oh, well. I just assumed that when it generates the message "Despite your best efforts you don't manage to improve the -item-", it means that skill check was succesful but the values are at maximum.

I've never gotten that message before I've smithed an item to high values, and I have never managed to imporove any item after this message has started to get generated.
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 17 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 08:33 (GMT -5)

There's still a small chance that you might improve the item after you get that message, but you probably shouldn't waste ignots after the first couple of times you still manage to improve the item despite that message :)

Oh, and it helps to have smithing at 100!

Also, I belive that weaponsmiths get a bonus to smithing. It's only logical.

One other thing. Has anyone managed to improve moloch armor? [+10,+50] would be much nicer than [-20,+50] :) I've tried it a couple of times, but a wizard and a barbarian weren't very successful. Maybe a weaponsmith can do it?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3901 days, 3 hours, 39 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 09:02 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
probably the best thing a weaponsmith can do to a moloch armor is to melt it down to ingots, you get huge amounts of eternium ingots from one

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/8/2008 at 09:03 (GMT -5) by Morio]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 17 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

That's not a spoiler, it's his class ability :)

So if you have two, melt one and use the ignots on the other!
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5616 days, 12 hours, 19 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

Re: J. IIRC I have managed to smith a moloch armor, though it is not easy. Getting from sub -20 DV to something reasonable is going to take a lot of ingots. Might be better stashing a lot of scrolls of defense, though it is still going to take a lot of them.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
DK
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 06:50 (GMT -5)

Smithing bracers of resist/regen, phase daggers, crowns of lightning/fire/ice/regen really improves them even smithing is at low level. Bows can't be smithed, but some crossbows can be. Once i got an eternium spear of penetration, with a bit of forging... 2d8+12 [2,0] just looks so much better than 2d8+8
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Smithing becomes a whole lot easier if you get the artifact "Hammerhead" it's a pickaxe that never breaks, and also a decent 1handed weapon. With it, you can mine as long as you want to.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1444 days, 10 hours, 47 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 20:17 (GMT -5)

Just had a trollish wizard who found an anvil (and only paid 10k for smithing!), unfortunately he encountered a giant dragon turtle which hit him once, and that was the end of his 212 hp...
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 00:38 (GMT -5)

Water breath is almost as good as death ray. Too bad there's no resistance for it, except a high DV and alertness... (and not being doomed or cursed).

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 01:36 (GMT -5)

Beng invisible is a good enough precaution in the water cave if you don't plan on attacking the big momma. Darkness helps too, as does simply avoiding being in a direct line. Considering the dangers of the giant dragon turtles it's really quite ridiculous not to take these sort of precautions when entering the underwater cave.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Sulangatori
Registered user
Tourist

Last page view:

1444 days, 10 hours, 47 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

Well, you have to talk to ms daisy before turning the lights out. Usually a quick teleport, chat, and leavetaking is enough. However, this time a gdt was already in the middle of a conversation with her when I got there. And I was cursed.

As for smithing, I had 42 in smithing and spent about 40 iron ingots making metal cap (+4, +1), blue dragon-hide gauntlets (+6, +1) and some marks of accuracy and defense on my spiir. Nothing to write home about.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 6 hours, 5 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

A simple teleportation spell usually takes care of the giant dragon turtles, because most of the WDC is a maze. You just shouldn't lose time with other stuff if they get near.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4489 days, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 19:21 (GMT -5)

I have smithed a spear of balance from +3 1d8+3, to +8 1d8+8 [+1,0]. Now, i was suprised to see you can smith an item and get DV, but the DV bonus does not actually appear on my DV/PV display. With my spear skill granting me +14 DV and shield giving +6, where is my DV from smithing the spear? I know its only one but i want that one!!! Am i misunderstanding something?
Xtrmntr
Registered user

Last page view:

4930 days, 9 hours, 53 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 11:46 (GMT -5)

Nightmare wrote:
"Water breath is almost as good as death ray. Too bad there's no resistance for it, except a high DV and alertness... (and not being doomed or cursed)."

Is it so? I've tought that wearing waterbreathing items reduce the damage. But im not sure at all...
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3180 days, 18 hours, 46 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 05:20 (GMT -5)

You can go further than the 'despite best efforts' message.
You may get it many times before you score an increase, but the possibility is there if you have a really nice penetrating weapon or dragon scale mail you want to have absolutely maxed out.
Weaponsmiths have better chances of going past that message.
There is a set maximum for every weapon type and armor type though, and once you hit that cap, you can't go further.
All weapons can reach +4 dv, that's the maximum you can get for DV on weapons.
Even if the other aspects like +hit and +damage are maxed out already, which they usually will be since +DV is rare, you can keep trying at the weapon until you get your +4 DV.

Water breathing items (and the intrinsic) do reduce mommy's damage.

Michael
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2010 at 08:48 (GMT -5)

On a related subject, what can you do by applying the Metallurgy skill? I know passively it tells you the type of ingot or ore, but I only ever get "the item is made of metal" or "the item is not made of metal" when using it actively. Am I using it incorrectly?
Jbc
Registered user

Last page view:

4911 days, 17 hours, 48 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2010 at 00:29 (GMT -5)

That is all metallurgy does; tells you type of metal things are made out of. It is not a very useful skill.

Although, there are few items where their metal type is not entirely clear until you use metallurgy. But once you learn them, metallurgy is worthless.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/30/2010 at 00:30 (GMT -5) by Jbc]
Michael
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2010 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

So should it say, "this sword is made of iron" or similar? Ore is the only thing where it actually tells me the type of metal. Or does it become obvious when you try to Smith an item with the wrong type of ingot?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 at 17:21 (GMT -5)

It becomes obvious when smithing - you're told the ingot is the wrong type and it isn't even wasted. Metallurgy is one of the most useless skills in the game...
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 9 hours, 6 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 at 04:00 (GMT -5)

Metallurgy can be handy when you play as weaponsmith and want to melt down junk items into ingots (easier to find compatible stuff in your inventory list), but yeah, there are more useful skills out there :P
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: