Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Adom is very nasty for newchar

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5853 days, 18 hours, 35 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 18:25 (GMT -5)

I am discovering Adom and last nasty stuff that happened for my last newbie char is when wandering in wilderness to get rain that destroy my scrolls!!

LOL after:
- Traps that destroy stuff that allowed me light torch.
- Getting not one but two ambushes in wilderness in a row that I couldn't escape after to have escape easily more than 10,
- A trap that blind me, not sure if forever but when I succeed get back in safe town it's just to attack the dragon and get instant kill in return... as if blinded walking would mean attack anything!
- One monster meet in first level (linked to chaos) and many warnings up to make me panic a little lost my pet and then in one hit kill the "so dangerous stuff" and level up easily 5 levels but disgusted to have lost the pet like that so drop the char.
- Find finally a nice way to eat, cook and eat bodies... until get sick because of the wrong type of body used (is there any hint to warn you on that for kobold when for many other it's fine?).
- Got a periodic random teleport after drinking a pool and just get an unplayable game.
- Try use item and discover to be stuck with a weak weapon and get a closed game even if the char is alive.
- And the list is long for a newbie char and what he shouldn't do:
* Don't use any item found,
* Don't use scrolls found,
* Don't drink in pools,
* Don't use potions found,
* eventually don't take with you the pet dog your class provide you because it will die soon (I still hasn't give up on this one but I know I'm wrong to try more).
* Don't go in water you can destroy stuff in your inventory.
* Don't attempt climb anything you don't have the material you need find by luck.
It's up to the point that attempt anything new feels like a suicidal decision for a newbie char!!!

Twenty years ago Moria was fun, I bet I couldn't play it now, Adom is more sophisticated but eventually I'm not anymore able to play roguelike games, not a game spirit I share anymore... Well I don't remember at all that Moria had such a nasty spirit, tough eventually, but not nasty.

You fan of Adom, don't feel hurt, I write that with a big smile. The game is so ridiculously nasty for newbie char that the exaggeration makes me smile! :-)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 18:30 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 13 hours, 41 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:24 (GMT -5)

That's the reason I love it! <3 :)
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:35 (GMT -5)

masochist! :-)
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 13 hours, 41 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:46 (GMT -5)

:D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 16 hours, 51 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

Doalag, you're describing so well what I went through, seven years ago... :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5931 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 20:20 (GMT -5)

Didn't take you long to grasp the core of adom spirit. ;) Although you can consider your character still lucky. There is much, much worse. Adomworld can kill a low-level character instantly - even if you do all things right. I just had 2 promising characters (just when I thought being past the worst) in a row fall into a pit with snakes. Surrounded by 5 snakes (each scoring a poisonous bite through my +1 clothes/robe per turn) neither killing them with wands nor prayers could help because the characters took like -20 hp loss per turn from poison already...
But there is still much, much worse stuff... (even level 50 heroes can die in one turn)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 16 hours, 8 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 21:21 (GMT -5)

ADOM is very much a learn from your mistakes kinda game. And even when you've completed the game numerous times you'll still have new characters die frequently. But roguelikes are fun and challenging, unlike all the modern RPGs. The inability to restore saves (unless you cheat) and the impending doom around every corner give an excitement that no other game can match.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5219 days, 4 hours, 54 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 22:02 (GMT -5)

Theres a topic in the spoilers section of the forum filled with tips for new players doolag, you might take a look.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

Luck is also why I'm hesitant to drop my current char despite a not so good choice of class, it's very obvious my current char has a ton of luck. It's weird how different it can be. As I back save files there's few char I try and retry and the luck difference is big. Yep you can say the comparison means nothing but if you think of it, you attempt your luck a lot of time in Adom so in fact the events are more than once. And with this char it seems caves are paved with coin golds and other original items I didn't saw with other char reaching same level.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 15:50 (GMT -5)

About save lost when char die few non roguelike games did that too, at least they offered a mode like that.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4602 days, 6 hours, 14 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 02:06 (GMT -5)

My first character was a Dwarven fighter. He made it to the VD, miraculously, only to get himself blasted to pieces from an explosive rune door on the first floor. Game time probably ranged from 5 to 10 minutes.

Not exactly the epic adventure I'd had in mind when I started it up. I restarted ADOM, selected restore game, and was surprised to get the message "there are no characters saved" or something.

I didn't even know there was a guidebook until hundreds of characters in. After reading it, coupled with my experience playing, I started living longer and accomplishing more. I was still prone to terrible decisions and ignorance, which is lethal when combined with bad luck from the RNG.

After "quitting" numerous times each time a beloved character croaked(hell, quitting this game is probably harder than quitting smoking or drinking :P), I finally decided to cheat. Bear in mind, I hate cheating when it comes to games, and only use it as a last resort when I'm at my wits end. So I got a program that allowed me to save my characters and restore them even if they died. It was a dwarven weaponsmith I used it with. Crowned with ring of immunity, gear all smithed up, most of the orbs found, wielding eternium scimitar of penetration. He was great. But I felt bad about the cheating and deleted him. It diminished my enjoyment of the game. All of his accomplishments were covered in shadow.

The experience gave me a lot of knowledge though, and now I can get much farther in the game and make much better decisions. I know the classes and races well, am familiar with all the artifacts and other items, can use many different strategies.

And I've still got a long way to go. You evolve as an ADOM player over the months and years. It can teach you a lot about your patience, your cunning, your tolerance of risk. Yes, the game is terribly devious and evil. And that's what makes it great fun. The greater the trials and tribulations, the greater the satisfaction when you perservere. 500+ characters, playing since 2001, and no win yet. But I'm getting there. And you can be damn sure I'll be more proud of winning at this game than at any other.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 09:32 (GMT -5)

And I guarantee you: The moment you do win, all will be worth it.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

Cool Nightmare but I'm not this sort of player. I never cheat in a game, sometimes I changed a little the rules but I respect them.

I allow me change some rules with care because I know game authors/designers could do some decision questionable that I don't share. Typically if you like so much the game over when character die, then go on apply this rule to any game, you can it's easy as it is easy to not do it in Adom.

Myself I have no problem to manage save of this game as I want, I feel random range is too high anyway to really try follow the rule character die = game over. with such a random range the game has you'll need to know each place before enter it and more, you'll need a much stronger character to be sure anything won't happen, and you'll need stop any exploration curiosity otherwise your char will die quick.

For sure experience and care change a lot the upper limit for your character but still will be much lower than allow take some risk.

I apply myself this rule :
- Don't save often at every corner but with game session long enough to keep tension.
- Don't get a save backup for any reason other than character died, or any dogs died.
- Don't use savegame backup before to explore things, to know items cursed, before to use some item...
- Don't make your character die because something wrong happened like scrolls pack lost, cursed item, and so on.

Believe me it's already very very tough like that, I know I'm a knewbie player and that's the reason, in fact dogs use also increase a lot the difficulty, the game author butcher design them for death and they reduce the flee abilities/tactics.

Eventually I'll never win, but how can you compare 30s of pleasure to days of play? Winning is something, take fun when playing is more important for me.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2008 at 10:10 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 12:08 (GMT -5)

Those are good rule to go by, Doolag. I remember when I was 15 and started playing (and save-scummed) I used to use the save-scumming on pools to get lots of wishes, or before drinking an unided potion to see what it was, etc, and it just ruined the game. I was a lot happier when I ditched such childish behaviour.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

Ok I admit I did it too once and throw the char in trash! :-D About testing stuff, I mix between resist and get some nasty spoil through the forum, ha well, the game is still extremely difficult and let many puzzles/tricks mysterious.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4959 days, 23 hours, 39 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 04:30 (GMT -5)

I still don't understand why you are worrying so much about your dog. Now that i wrote that I feel all heartless, but still...
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 20:33 (GMT -5)

It's like find puppy dead, if you don't care of this you can't understand me... If you understand the "pain" you'll understand my worrying. :-D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/18/2008 at 20:34 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5711 days, 8 hours, 26 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 at 20:22 (GMT -5)

It gets worse, much worse. Just wait untill you find a greater vault of black dragons, and really start to value your blessed regeneration equipment, and fancy iron weapons after the dragons melted all of your SoCR plus many other valued items. Though I will admit three blessed WoW are a very nice, VERY nice present after all of your trials. I love the RNG now.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

I don't understand why you are traveling with all your stuff and take such risk, a guess, just to win time?
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

No, I diddn't have any knowledge value for teleport at that time so I was forced to carry my valuble items at that time.

Though a couple of level gains were worth it.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4695 days, 16 hours, 1 minute and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 11:41 (GMT -5)

How often do uBeR players win, anyway?

I've been curious about this. There are probably people on this board who are as good at ADOM as could possibly be imagined... better even than TB originally conceived a player being. If one of them start a character from scratch without scumming of any kind, what's the percentage chance of them surviving an ordinary game with an ordinary win?

I'm betting it's still less than 10%, even for players like that.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

If I had to get a certain character to victory, without taking any risks, without my usual SMC -> dive, I'm confident that I could achieve a much higher rate than 10% (about 60%). I'm not one of those hyper extra uber players, though.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

Teleport to store stuff? Well I don't think the chance you get stoled from multiple places without teleport is higher than chance to lost some precious items.

But store stuff requires management and with corruption it's not that cool. Still for few stuff like those scrolls I feel it better to store them somewhere.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 14:30 (GMT -5)

Any character can be made to survive. I'd reckon there's only a 50% chance that something will kill you without any chance of you avoiding it (stone block trap for instance). All other deaths come down to players stretching their necks out too far. Even gnomish merchants can be made to survive far into the game if you're sure to be conservative with them at the start.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 18 hours, 25 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

About storing stuff, after you leave a level,
time freezes. No monster will stroll by and
steal your stuff. If you find a room full of
item destroyers, just descend the stairs, drop
off all the vulnerable stuff that you can do
without, and then do battle. Lure your enemies
close to your staircase if possible, so that if
you pick up some nice items, or if you get in
trouble, you can use the stairs for safety.

About win percentages, I believe that it depends
entirely on your race class combo. A drakeling
wizard would have a much higher win % than a
gnomish merchant.

If I'm playing a powerful race/class combo, I
could get a win % over 50%. On the other hand,
if I'm playing merchants, I would probably do
well to get 20%.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2008 at 16:30 (GMT -5)

True. With orcish Barbarians, I'm confident I could get well over 80% if I play carefully. Of course, I probably wouldn't be able to finish because of being bored to tears.
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

I have been playing for seven years. The first couple were non stop, but I got tired of dying at certain times so I gave up. I started playing again, found the guide book, (how did I not look this up years ago!?), and am somewhat close to getting a normal, close the ChAoS gate, and win... win. So somewhere between a 2.4% or 3.4%, my heros usually die in a certain tension room or greater vault.

Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4695 days, 16 hours, 1 minute and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2008 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

What's funny about Merchants is that they do just as well for me as most other character classes. I'm best with Necromancers and Monks... merchants don't compare to them, but they do tend to last a while.

Maybe it's a play style thing, but I think that less advanced players aren't able to boost the innate skills and stats of their characters like the top players can. Therefore when you've got a character who relies primarily on equipment, the playing field is a bit more level and a lucky novice can take a merchant quite far.

Regardless, I've yet to get a guy even as far as the water temple (though that will change soon), so my definition of 'lasting a while' differs from most.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/25/2008 at 12:33 (GMT -5) by Worst Player... ever]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: