Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Is anybdy use the OSX version?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5858 days, 1 hour, 4 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

Just curious is anybody here is using the Adom OSX version?

I do but in the system version 10.5.1 that seems not very well adapted to Adom (if I can say it like this!). Version beta2 is black and white for me because I don't have the color xterm-16color package so I'm using the beta3 that give me full 16 colors glory! (is there really only 16?).

But this version is very strange on 10.5.1 : When you launch it has more chance to crash than your char to die (and that means a lot!) I found the trick, launch and launch... sometimes easily 30 times(!) until I get the startup screen and the start menu then thanksfuly the game never crashed after that screen.

I'd be curious to know other people experience about the OSX version.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 23 hours, 19 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

There's only 16 colors, yeah.

Apart from that, no help from me. Never used a mac, and never played mac ADOM.

From all the versions of the game, I think the DOS version is still the one that functions most safely - if you can get it to work; some XP machines refuse to run it.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5223 days, 11 hours, 23 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 21:59 (GMT -5)

I've got windows XP media center edition, and i can run the winbeta4 version of adom without any issues. Don't have to run any compatibility programs or do anything wierd, works just fine.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

The mac version seems to be the last one and quite beta and not made for newer version of the system because of a missing xterm-16color package. In fact once the game is launched it runs fine, I only got a problem with one command not adapted to my national keyboard but I just switch to US setup to runs it, thanks it's not a major command to constantly use. Yes I didn't succeed to use a customized key mapping file.

That said if I could get the xterm-16color package an make it run on the os version I use I would prefer that, because launching a lot of time the game before too succeed is... :-)

For DOS I tried run Adom under DOSBox (which runs very fine with many old DOS games, but it didn't work with Adom.
wizzsupremeomega
Registered user
cynful sinner

Last page view:

5955 days, 15 hours, 25 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

I've had similar problems with my mac version of ADOM, as well as the fact that you cannot access the save files whatsoever. Its just a matter of waiting till the next version comes out.
~my priest will kick your barbarian ass, Dizzle.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 09:39 (GMT -5)

You have access to the game file, you can use the beta2 mac version to see where it is a command line option allow to list those path.

On Mac (at least beta2 and beta3) the savegame are in ~/.adom.data/savedg (.xxx won't be seen in the finder so you can use the Finder menu Go->Go to folder and past the path above.

For the beta2 you need resize the terminal window to the right size (above 80*25) and to get color have the package xterm-16color, something not available anymore since more recent version of the system.

For the beta3 you need patience tu succeed launch the game and probably don't click the application provided but instead do a shell file named xxx.command (.command will make the script double clickable), allows it run by using chmod, and put in it something like :

cd <path where you put the adom beta3 application>/ADOM.app/Contents/MacOS
./Adom

But that won't be enough, you'll need to try and try launch it until you get the game window and the first menu after the pause.

Yeah, better play another version but on OSX you don't have anything else.
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 02:55 (GMT -5)

DOS version functions well, but the last time I checked, the best way to play ADOM on Windows was, Linux version through ADOM Sage. This is stable IIRC, and you get Sage's extra features.
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

And the winbeta version sucks because it has a tiny font and cannot be resized.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 23 hours, 19 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

Agree on the winbeta version. Annoying.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 at 20:30 (GMT -5)

Too bad, ADOM sage doesn't work under OSX.
JT
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 14:59 (GMT -5)

You should upgrade to beta 5, which can be downloaded from here (not yet linked on the ADOM download page):

http://www.adom.de/adom/download/mac/adom-1.1.1-beta5.zip
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

Wooo double click and it is launched at first try, cool! :-p Thanks for the focus.

I won't switch to it right now because it isn't compatible with savegame of beta 3. If any savegame from beta3 is in the save folder they made it crash after the r. But if I empty the savegame folder of any save it is working quite nicely.

Perhaps with this new version the key mapping file will work. Too bad I didn't saw your post before, for future games I'll use this new version.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/11/2008 at 15:15 (GMT -5) by Doalag]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: