Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Mindcrafters abilities...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Huth
Registered user

Last page view:

5899 days, 8 hours, 44 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

Two of the mindcrafter's special abilities are gain an additional 1d6 pp and +3d5 pp per level. I'm curious, since I've never gotten a mind crafter to last to level 50, do these abilities kick in when you psudo-level after 50(when you are given the option to increase your skills after you're already lv 50)?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2008 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

Nope, they just affect the PP you get when you level up. It's quie handy for mindcrafters, since they don't get their mana trained much, and so can be lacking on PP in the early-mid game. Later on the abilities get a lot cheaper and the class powers give a respectable amount of PP, so you can rely on the mindcraft power a lot more (though it's still something I use more as a backup).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5356 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

training mana with mindcrafters is rather hard, since you'll have to get a spell with potions of wonder and keep book casting them. Good thing is that even a simple bolt spell will lose good amounts of pp when book cast thus train mana.

It's worth it since mindcrafters have the greatest attacks in the game(greater telekinetic blast/wave)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

You'd have to be lucky enouh to get a book of the same type as the spell you get from the wand of wonder. Scumming the wand with potions of booze would help, but you're unlikely to find many books before the Rift, by which time half the game's gone.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

Potions of wonder with book of spell work helluva lot better, since they're quite easily found and they frequently give spells like magic missile or lightning bolt. Books are a bit more rare but it's mucho f*ng more conventional than wands of wonder!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 13 hours, 47 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 10:26 (GMT -5)

Potions of wonder are hardly more common than wands of wonder, they have only one "charge" and you can't reload them.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 15:56 (GMT -5)

"Potions of wonder are hardly more common than wands of wonder, they have only one "charge" and you can't reload them."

This i do not understand. When you have a book, you can infinitely book cast the spell you get from PoWo, thus you only need one potion of wonder and corresponding book. The algorithm is quite straightforward
1. drink a potion
2. bookcast the spell repeatedly
3. wait for mana to "charge"
4. read the next phase
5. repeat phase 2 to 4
6. ignore this phase

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/19/2008 at 16:00 (GMT -5) by Jhonka]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 16:29 (GMT -5)

Oh, I see where the misunderstanding lies!

What you are getting is probably that it's better to use books to drain mana instead of wands of wonder, and that is of course perfectly correct. I wasn't talking about using wands of wonder to drain mana, though. I was talking about using them to get basic spell knowledge (they work like potions of wonder in that respect, except they force you to cast the spell), and they're infinitely better for that purpose than potions. It's a moot point, anyway, for you can use both.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

Cool, i did not know that from wands of wonder! The idea is the same(luckily, so im not that big of an ass).
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 20:40 (GMT -5)

Wands are much better for this purpose than potions, since it requires extreme luck to find the matching book to the spell you get from a potion, and you won't find that many potions. With a wand of wonder you can keep recharging it with booze and get basic knowledge of almost every spell in the game (no wish though). Whatever book you find you'll then be able to cast.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 12:18 (GMT -5)

well, does anyone have any idea how much does it cost(pp) to cast wish? I just matured to lvl 50 with drakish mindcrafter that has great book caster(i thought about going for "arch-mindcrafter") Is it possible to keep bookcasting wish if not wand born neutral whatever char?

The reason i thought about this is that i found platemail of power and with totrr and mana orb i have circa 1000pp(no mana battery though)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

~5000pp if you got it from a potion/wand of wonder.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/26/2008 at 13:54 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 08:46 (GMT -5)

So with 1000 pp you need more than 2000 HP to survive a single bookcast.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

The 5000+ PP (I think it was 5380 for my merchant who got lucky enough to cast wish off a wand of wonder) is for normal casting. Even with greater book caster it would take 7500+ pp.
That means 3300 hp to survive, right? (It's 2pp = 1 hp IIRC)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5708 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

So how much dose wish cost?
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%
#######################################

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 18 hours, 59 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

Depends on castings, I would think. All spells (or at least all I recently checked) cost more PP when you get low. So higher cost when you just get 0-10 from a wand.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 05:41 (GMT -5)

I think it's 3000 PP if you have more than 100 casting points. Though you get there only with decent Literacy, Concentration and Learning - and you probably need lots and lots of satiation if you're not a spellcaster type. Without the special room effect that slows down hungry rate, it's nigh impossible to do.
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 11:59 (GMT -5)

...and with mindcrafters horrible spell learning ability its *very* impossible. maybe i'll get a couple thousand ultra healing potions and get my health to ridiculous levels.

If i combine silvernight and room effect with mana battery, i think it could be possible.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 7 hours, 59 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

Being lawful on silvernight/chaotic on darknight helps with casting wish. Then there's a random room effect for lowering spellcosts too, I think.

Wish is 3000pp normally, if you have enough castings.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

I think you can't lower spell cost more than 50%, so combining silvernight/darknight with mana battery won't give you additional benefits.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: