Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / stupid question

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

B_C_
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 10:05 (GMT -5)

so what's up with everything i hear about a 90-day limit. does that mean you automatically die on day 90 or is it just some mark of success to win in less than that?
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4963 days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 10:11 (GMT -5)

Background corruption speeds up after 90 days.

The original plan was for corruption to double every 90 days, so that by day 180, it would be really crazy, and day 270, just horrible personified.

But I think there is a bug in the code, so it just happens on day 90.

Its not that bad either.

People do like to win before then though.

my fastest winner so far was less than 200 days though. am a bit slow.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5671 days, 9 hours, 27 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

I don't think I'll ever win in under 90 days.. Too much herb farming, smithing, visiting all the places, wandering around the wilderness, etc.

Don't worry about corruption too much, just don't hang around the CoC levels 40+ generating 1000's of PP, don't read spellbooks in there, just get in, kill stuff and get out. Don't smith in a corrupting level. Don't get hit too much by corrupting monsters.

There's a lot of corruption removal in the game: guaranteed SoCR in HMV, BUGCAV, Library, then there's the unicorn quest, PoCCs from the druid, PoCC in the minotaur maze..
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5715 days, 6 hours, 50 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 20:33 (GMT -5)

It is never so serious unless you have no means of removing corruption. Something I have problems with right now.

SO corruption is no problem unless there are no ways of getting rid of it. K.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%
#######################################

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4075 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 04:57 (GMT -5)

You should only ever get rid of bad corruptions. If you get corrupted with the 12 eyes, no point in wasting SoCR removing it. If you get corrupted with mana battery, or with stiffened muscles, or apish if you're a spellcaster you should seriously consider removing them instantly.

Following this principle, you will be able to save SoCRs.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/20/2008 at 04:57 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4963 days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 07:33 (GMT -5)

Yeah, personally, due to being really slow during the mid game for some reason, I always take bloody ages, so I tend to try and limit my corruption removal.

Its class dependent, but normally I aim to only have one or two which I absolutely must remove, eg :

Wizards: apish, [mana battery in early/mid game]
Fightertypes: stiff muscles, mana battery

Most of my late game wizards have nightmares about finding a WoWishing and draining it by accident, but thats ADOM for you.
ADOMNewb101
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

After 90 days, the background corruption approximately doubles in most game areas. This is not particularly problematic except below D40 (actually, D40-44 isn't THAT bad, but it is pretty severe at D45 and below), as well as in the dragon caves, scintillating caves, etc. By my count, there are up to 19 "guaranteed" SoCR, and 7 guaranteed PoCR, so in total, you should be able to conceivably remove ~36 corruptions in a game, excluding the unicorn quest and wishes. About 80% of corruptions should be livable for a given character (although cumulative losses to Dex and DV can start to get nasty even with large numbers of livable corruptions). The key is really not to use your SoCR and PoCR on corruptions that aren't going to seriously harm your character.

The only thing that I really take seriously into account after day 90 is greater vaults on deep levels. For a melee character, clearing a greater vault below D45 could mean picking up 4-8 corruptions depending on the type of vault and the strength of your character. If you can't get the equivalent of 2-3 wishes worth of stuff, you might want to leave those alone.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: