Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / does gemelogy Suck or do I?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

yaggaz the fool
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 19:55 (GMT -5)

I keep hearing people talk about how useful gemology is but I have found it to be 100% useless. I mean gems can sometimes come in handy but come on...
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 7 hours, 21 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

It isn't; it makes gems more likely to appear when walls are destroyed.. so you will see more valuable gems (topaz, etc) and special ones as well (and among there there is the crystal of knowledge.. a blessed one gives you 1-2 points in learning unless you are over 22(?))!

:)
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5711 days, 2 hours, 6 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 23:54 (GMT -5)

From what I have heard gemology helps the PC, (You) by having dug walls in caves generate gems of all kinds, dependent on the PC's skill in this technique, affect the amout, and rarity of gems generated. This can be exploited by monsters that dig. Because digging takes so damn long!

The gems that are of relevence go by.

Light gem: Not that useful, unless of course the PC has no other way of lighting rooms.

Dark Gem: Useful, unless the PC already has a better way of darking rooms. Useful by the fact that most monsters stand still, and really do not do a thing when in the dark, very helpful for begining PCs.

Fire Gem: Same a fire ball.

Knowledge: Increases knowledge, (when blessed), and the die rolls when carried. Also has a cool magic map effect (when not blessed) don't know about cursed, maybe the same as cursed magic mapping scroll. I never get far enough to exploit this technique.

Um, er I think thats all.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%
#######################################

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 5 hours, 18 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 00:45 (GMT -5)

It makes it possible for gems to appear when mining, without Gemology they just don't.

Fire Gems are the same as IMPROVED Fireball. Not accesible without the right spellbook and quite valueable for anyone.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/22/2008 at 00:46 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4941 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 03:52 (GMT -5)

Knowledge: When 'U'sed, in spite of its status it maps your surrounding area like the antennae corruption. If blessed, it also grants +1d2 to your learning score IF it is lower than 25. May be class or race dependant, not 100% sure about that.

I suppose one can also scum more than Le 25-26 with 'Sick' and 'starving!' statuses.

About fire gems.. if you 'U'se them, you get a regular fireball, if you throw it, you get a regular improved fireball ;)
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 10:09 (GMT -5)

Is there a better way of darkening rooms than with a crystal of darkness? I mean, scrolls of darkness can't be read in the dark or when the PC is illiterate, and the Darkness spell requires you to learn it beforehand, so you have to get a book and be literate.

(You may want to cast a darkness spell of some sort in the dark if you approach its edge and have no desire to leave it, just to answer an obvious question.)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 9 hours, 49 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 12:57 (GMT -5)

Whilst scrolls aren't as versatile, they're almost as good. Almost everyone can read, and it's not that often you're forced to use it from a corner. Spells are even better, since they're cheap and almost anyone can master it.

Crystals of light are possibly even more highly rated compared to their counterparts. Scrolls of light are obviously near useless, and wands can be no good if you have the wrong corruption. Spell is obviously very handy. But if it's true that crystals of lights can be thrown into dark rooms then they're way more useful - no need to risk stepping blindly.

I've never tried crystals of power or health much - can anyone vouch for how effective they are?

One of the best things about gemology though is the money, and at a really low inventory space too. Anyone starting with gemology can be filthy rich early on, which can be handy if the shops have some lucky items. Good for Garth too, of course, and it easily pays for itself in terms of pick axe repairs.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 15 hours, 43 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 03:18 (GMT -5)

If you get mining skill to 100, it does NOT take long to dig. Like 5 turns. And the pickaxe does not break much either. But to GET it that high you might break some on the way.

TROLL [snip] trains in [snip] Mining, Gemology [snip]

Try it out.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 09:20 (GMT -5)

Gnomes get both Mining and Gemology too.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 02:36 (GMT -5)

Crystals of health are quite nice IIRC.
ADOMNewb101
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 15:30 (GMT -5)

Blessed crystals of health heal about the same (maybe a bit more) than blessed spenseweeds. Unfortunately, they don't stack in the tools slot the same way spenseweeds do, so they're a bit more tedious to use. I guess they would be decent for characters who have gemology & mining but no herbalism.
Xeloi
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

Actually, lots of crystals of knowledge + extreme starvation allows you to raise your Le to 50 or even 51 if you are lucky. Throw in a couple of potions of exchange and that's one mighty powerful character.
geg_Ma3gau
Registered user
fighter 5 monk 6 rogue 29

Last page view:

4469 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2012 at 03:32 (GMT -5)

if you want to beat the game you should be able to both fight and cast spells. To cast spells you will need to wish for concentration and have a good literacy skill + decent learning (at least 25) so that you can read spellbooks of teleport and invisibility. On demand controlled teleport and invisibility + darkness/light + strength of atlas are indispensible tools.

The good way to raise learning is using blessed gems of knowledge ( starve or be sick if needed to raise over 25). It takes quite a bit of time to mine the gems with low mining/gemology but once you get to 100 its a breeze. Not only you get some amazing knowledge gems but also you get ambers/ topazs, emerlands etc etc to sell for money. money can be used to train with garth or raise piety or buy something useful from merchants.

I think you can train learning with garth but this way you ll need to pay heaps o money i mean to raise over 20 you ll need 4k, to raise over 21 you ll need 8k etc. these numbers are out of reach of low level traveller. Im now a lvl 14 drakish rogue and i used 2 POGA and 1 gem of knowledge (i got it without gemology) for +4 learning. i have no concentration yet with my ~55 literacy and 21 learning skill i managed to read and leard teleport spell. have only 22 casts but i stored a book for the use in future when i get conc. But fact is. being lvl 14 character with no concentration i already have controlled teleport or two.

If you got gemology you can start gaining gems as early as puppy ave lvl 2 (the level with ant hive). hide in sole closed room and wait for the ants to grind walls quite a bit. if you have gemology skill, they will not only produce rocks and metal veins, but also gems you are looking for! You can easily get knowledge gem this early and when you get to the dwarftown you bless it and use it for +1 +2 learning and start reading books of darkness, light, slow monster etc etc. reading books will train your literacy skill a little bit too dont forget about it. Also dont forget that having a concentration skill makes it easier to learn spells from books too (its unintuitive a bit).

Gnomes rule because they have mining+ gemology. Big time. Excellent skillset for the late game character (these skills can otherwise be only gotten from wish or education scrolls). Bards get random skills and could also get mining + gemology if you roll starting characters for quite a bit of time. Trolls get both too, but hey they are trolls with obvious level problems. Weaponsmiths get only mining.

Increasing learning will also provide more +skills per level up.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/2/2012 at 03:59 (GMT -5) by geg_Ma3gau]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: