Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Orc knife farming

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5397 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 09:10 (GMT -5)

Well at this moment im doing some knife farming using orcs. There's just one problem. These random dungeon orcs who are not so aggressive wont target me all the time, they just run around. That means that weapon farming takes pretty damn long...

What is the easiest way to make dumb creature like orc mad at me. Everything seems to do too much damage. I have tried kicking and throwing random stuff at them but they all die with single blow. Pisses me off.
"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 14 hours, 48 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 09:21 (GMT -5)

What use do you have for orcish knives?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5397 days, 13 hours, 19 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

As missiles for my assassin. High to-hit and critical chances, they are light and easy to get. Not to mention all the suffixes/prefixes you can get. There are many many orcs there, one of them might have something like penetration.

They are not bad at melee too - Just that they are really fast and light makes them perfect to use with find weakness.
"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3123 days, 9 hours, 35 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

Why would you waste your time wih that?

If you want orcish knives, use the wilderness forest squares.
If you want orcish spears, use the hills (hill orcs).
If you want battle axes, the pyramid-dusty dungeon road when over lvl 17 (I think it was 17 or maybe 15?).

P.S. Orc Knives are as fast as any other weapon. The only thing that takes weapon weight into account is two weapon fighting. They also have no greater critical ratio then other weapons; those would be Orcish Daggers, but only the 2d3 ones (bloody dagers unID), the 1d4+1 ones (orcish daggers unID) don't.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/26/2008 at 14:30 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 9 hours and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 17:25 (GMT -5)

You have pickpocketing don't you? Use that.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4903 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 21:56 (GMT -5)

It seems to me a good idea to farm the dungeon
orcs instead of the wilderness ones. At least
for a low level PC. I wouldn't consider it a
waste of time, to get some red/yellow/green
daggers and such. It could potentially save
your PC's life.

To answer to OP, the best way I know of to anger
a monster, is to throw things at them. If you
melee/kick them, they seem to become non-hostile
too quickly. Don't use missile weapons though,
equip a useless scroll, and set your tactics to
coward before throwing. This is also useful for
luring monsters to alters, and getting blink
dog corpses.

In my experience, the 'monster set' changes upon
reaching exp. level 15. Becoming doomed will
change it earlier though.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4751 days, 9 hours, 37 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 22:03 (GMT -5)

Yeah. While I usually find that orcish weaponry are cursed more often than not, you'll find some good ones, especially if you're playing an assassin. I found an orcish dagger of penetration which, when combined with the assassin heir gift, was a great combination.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4605 days, 4 hours, 11 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

it's especially nice getting a good pile of the daggers so you don't have to reload after each throw. Unfortunately, bows and crossbows become far superior after a little bit of training with them, so the only use for throwing daggers skill is in the beginning before you have better stuff, in case your only bow or xbow is destroyed, or for roleplaying purposes.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5147 days, 20 hours and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 at 10:59 (GMT -5)

When I encounter an Orc scorcher in a dungeon, I always try to get it to throw a spear at me by backing up or running around it a bit. If I was for some reason set on using daggers I would do the same with regular orcs. But not really "farming" them, just getting the one weapon out of the ones I meet while doing other stuff.
Sylph
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

There's not really much point in training throwing daggers. If you want a throwing weapon (as opposed to bow/Xbow) there's really only 3 choices:
1. Spear
- I've had some wonderful spearthrowing characters since the talent systems was introduced, namely because of porter, master packager, and beast of burden. The reason spearthrowing is so good is because of the rune covered trident, and the TOTRR, both of which are slaying, returning projectiles.
2. Boomerangs/scurgari
- Easier to train due to boomerangs returning, but more significantly the drakish scurgari of death is the most powerful mundane ranged item.
3. Rocks
- Plentiful.

Daggers? Not really worth the bother, imo. :)
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4527 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 at 09:51 (GMT -5)

Well, if you're playing assassin, thrown daggers are probably your most deadly weapon until level 10-12. By that time my assassins usually have 7-8 skill marks in thrown daggers, but I try to begin training with bows/xbows as soon as possible anyway, sometimes forfeiting the advantages of well-trained daggers in battle. It won't be very funny to figure out basics of handling a bow with undead slaying missiles right when you have to face some ghost lord of skeletal king, right?

The saddest thing with thrown daggers is that their special melee properties don't count in missile mode. Dagger of death, hitting the target, does approximately the same damage as regular orcish knife. This sucks.

And how about slings? Not for sake of those rare demon slaying or crushing bullets, of course - just for increased range when throwing certain potions using slings. Six skill points for two range bonuses are really easy to train, but I don't know if the potions, thrown with a sling, fly further and perhaps hit more accurate compared to those thrown with "bare hands". Did anyone measure this?
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
magellan
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2008 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

Orcs do make some good knifes, no doubt. But i was under the impression they only threw once. And only throw again if they pick their spear or knife up again before. So might as well just kill them. I am fairly certain you can't farm for meele weapons.

*spends some time with JSR who seems to enjoy his company*
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4527 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 at 01:46 (GMT -5)

magellan, I do =)
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

5713 days, 4 hours, 52 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 at 21:47 (GMT -5)

You could prob P O allot of orcs by eating orc corpses in front of them. That should get them hopping mad.
"THE TH TALENT SUCKS!!!!!!" - Gut

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/18/2008 at 21:48 (GMT -5) by jeremiah]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: