Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / New person :P

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 12 hours and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 05:28 (GMT -5)

Get the fire orb.
Khelevaster, the sage, told you where it is (Fire tower in the wilderness). Remember to protect yourself and everything you own from fire.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5770 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

Ok, so I need a ring of fire resistance, fire-proof blanket, and blessed equipment?
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 12 hours and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 05:48 (GMT -5)

You need a few sources of fire resistance or fire immunity plus a few fire-proof blankets. Once ring of fire resistance won't do much.
A blessed ring of Ice to protect everything you wear would be good to.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/3/2008 at 05:48 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 05:54 (GMT -5)

Okies, thank you.
Would it be worth a wish for a ring of ice?
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 18 hours, 47 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

I would highly advise reading up a bit, before
tackling the tower. There are some guides, and
even other threads on this forum, that should
give plenty of advice for the tower.

In a nutshell, the tower doesn't kill PC's, the
Ancient Chaos Wyrm kills PC's. If you don't have
a strategy for killing him, wait until you do.

You need: digging, confusion resistance, some way
of dealing massive damage, much fire resistance,
fireproof blankets, and the water orb (or some
non corrupting form of massive healing).

Other niceties: disabling potions, wands of
stunning (or paralyzation), rings of ice, a very
high willpower stat, and extremely high HP's.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 02:20 (GMT -5)

Bugger,
Somehow I have lost my pick-axe and cannot find another, and seeing as I was supposed to keep my bridge building manual (lost in a water trap) I think I'll just start again. Paladin I think.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 16 hours, 30 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 04:02 (GMT -5)

Err... what?! Neither a pick axe nor bridge building are necessary!

There's a guaranteed pick axe in the pyramid, though you're unlikely to be low enough level now. Dwarves have a good chance to drop pick axes, so you could lure some out of dwarftown and assassinate them for their tools. And another surefire way of getting one is to pray on the top level of the Tower whilst on full HP - your god will give you a dainty little pick axe. More importantly though you can use wands of digging instead - in fact, these are preferred, since they take less turns (and in a corrupting area no less). Khelevaster normally drops a wand of digging, and quite often dwarven chaos knights drop them (they also drop pick axes - you can usually find plenty of these dudes in DarkForge).

As for bridge building, this is again not the preferred method of getting over water. Wands of cold or the frost bolt spell are far more convenient - simply freeze the water with them. The only restriction is that you can't go over the ice whilst carrying more than 2000s of items (including worn items).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

Quitting the game over losing the manual of bridge building is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

I mean, no offense! If you're not completely and utterly spoiled, I guess you do things that are objectively enormously stupid - but getting to level 21 all the same is a greater accomplishment for it!
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

Alright if you say so.
Although, I can't use wands see? I got that absorb mana corruption, so wands are out of the question.
Actually I'm lvl 24 now :)
But yea don't worry, I decided not to quit anyway, I decided to go on a hunt for a dijjini ring or something so I can wish for a pick, but now you told me I can pray in the Tower for a pick I might do that.
Just a question, I'm a champion of law, so will praying take me a fair way down in the deitys standing? if so I may have to sac my $100000 gp's after doing so, I heard being a fallen champion was a very bad thing.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Level 24? That proves even more your stunning ability to not die, which is by far the most important skill required to win a game of ADOM. I'm not exaggerating here.

Don't worry, praying will do nothing to your alignment. Only falling from your lawful alignment, i. e. getting to NL or worse - LN is still acceptable, though ample reason to be cautious - will make you fall.

Praying only costs you piety, and you can lose piety with your god all you like as long as you still have the right alignment. And a single prayer for a pickaxe will hurt only very little.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/5/2008 at 09:02 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 09:29 (GMT -5)

Remember praying only works on the top level of the tower, and doesn't cost much piety in any case. Also, zapping the final charge from a wand of digging still works.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 22 hours, 25 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 10:56 (GMT -5)

I usually find a lot of wands of digging - havent you found any? Even if you found only 1, you can recharge it with booze, or recharge scroll, or potion of boost mana...use that to dig through.
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4928 days, 16 hours, 56 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

"That proves even more your stunning ability to not die, which is by far the most important skill required to win a game of ADOM."

The ability to run away is, to be more precise.

I think dwarf quests will eventually net you one BTW.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 06:39 (GMT -5)

Running away is only a means to not die :)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

Tactical retreat is a very important part of ADOM. Mastery of it is key to winning the game.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 18 hours, 47 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

Strategic re-deployment.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 01:21 (GMT -5)

I have had some trouble getting into this forum recently, but I got in now So I must make the most of it.
I have achieved lvl 26!! <:
I have got fire and cold immunity and am up to the cat lvl, just about to kill the cat lord.
I was supprised about the bunny level, I knew what to do and done it, tunneling right into the wall and killing the bunny guy, much easier than most people make out!

@Gut
>In a nutshell, the tower doesn't kill PC's, the
>Ancient Chaos Wyrm kills PC's. If you don't have
>a strategy for killing him, wait until you do.

My strategy?
I dug my way to him with a pickaxe then bashed the crap outa him, cause I'm invisible I was only being attacked by him, not anyone else. And luckyly me, I didn't get corrupted all that much.

So far through the game I have only got 3 corruptions, I absorbed mana (got rid of that) I got that thing that makes you really nimble, and my feet are now hoves, usefull for kicking doors, not much else.
My strength has finally reached a total of 58!

To do with growing herbs...

I tried this pattern

.."....
..""...
..."...

Cause I read somewhere it was meant to do something special... it eventually reaches a spot where it looks kinda like this

...."....
..".."...
."...."..
..".."...
...."....
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 02:28 (GMT -5)

You got the herb pattern slightly wrong. What you're really after is this:

.."...
."""..
..."..

This is what's known as the r-pentomino, and it explodes out into a huge set of patterns that can be cut down into numerous 2x2 squares (or more r-pentominos if you desire). Some more info on it here, and a useful game of life simulator here.

Well done on achieving level 26 - nice to see you're still going strong. You have to be extremely careful with the cat lord though. Make sure you can see invis, and it helps to have Farsight on in his level to see him early. You *must* disable him with webs, paralyzation, blindness or confusion. Then kill him with humanoid slaying ammo preferably, or a great melee weapon if necessary (just be damned careful). Have means of healing on standby, and consider luring him upstairs if you want to have teleportation backup too.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 05:45 (GMT -5)

I *always* lure him upstairs. My count against the cat lord must be something like 12 frags, 0 deaths. Just don't make the mistake of fighting fairly.
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

Eeep!
I read this AFTER killing the cat lord and wow did I got up 4 levels or what!
Anyway, I just hit him till he panicked then pushed him in a corner and killed him, fairly easy. lost only 150 HP's out of my 568 HPs.
@DarrenGrey
Thanks for the pattern correction, I'll look into it. Speaking of healing, I have a necklace of rapid regen and a helmet of regen so I'm going fairly well there :)
I'm going to try do the White Unicorn quest, I now have too much corruption.
Anyone have any suggestions on me getting the Earth Orb? I have the other three...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

If you can take the cat lord that easily you can take down the Earth Temple. Best to lure enemies up the stairs in small groups at a time and dispatch them there so you don't get overwhelmed. Construct slayers and penetrating weapons work best. The ASB takes a lot of hits to fall down, but fall down he will. Be sure to kill all the stone grues and earth elementals - they're worth a lot of xp.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

"Oh, I utterly decimated the cat lord in melee and my character kicks all sorts of ass, but I still think I NEED advice on an ADOM message board about playing him."

Seriously, you don't need to fear ANYTHING at this point. Remember to be resistant to death rays against the Archmage, and just crush the rest of your opposition. Even if you do make mistakes, you have enough HP to survive them.

Okay, I'm exaggerating - it still pays to be careful in ADOM even if you're apparently more sturdy and destructive than panzers made in my homeland. But you know that already apparently, having gotten this far.
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

I made a mistake that nearly cost me my char... I read somewhere a long time ago that wishing for Emperor Moloch gives a few greater molochs to fight,thinking by now that a few wouldn't be hard, cause I got phase daggers and fairly high training in daggers blah blah... So I use 1 charge from a wand of wishing I found in CoC and it filled the entire level up nearly O_O so I ended up killing them one by one and using peity to heal myself. Looking back it helped... I have hit lvl 50, but then again I won't EVER do that till I'm realllly sure, now I know what I'm wishing for! looks like there is sense in being careful what you wish for :)
Thanks Darren for the advise, I actually do need advise (contradicting silfir here...) cause I believe the only reason I'm still alive is luck, that and a couple wands of wishing can do wonders... so to speak. :)

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:32 (GMT -5)

The guidebook says something like "25-30" greater molochs, which is not "a few". Dangerous piece of misinformation...

The wish is usually done in a wilderness area, like the old barbarian's clearing, so you have wide open space to work with, and can leave with the teleportation spell if need be.

In my experience, you reach level 50 early enough usually by just advancing in the CoC dungeon, maybe with a detour to the Blue Dragon Caves. You can be succesful on D:50 with character levels in the thirties if you're halfway powerful (having killed the cat lord this easily, you'd have been well above that threshold), since you'll get to level 50 on there anyway after killing the balors.
Killing balors is not that hard.

Trolls on the other hand, if they have to meet the level requirement of the Filk quest for an ultra ending or have their power seriously hampered by their low level, might have a need for the emperor moloch wish. gut will therefore probably include a section with detailed hints on how to to execute it in his troll guide.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:50 (GMT -5)

Oh man, that is not a nice way to find out how many GMs such a wish delivers. You're lucky none of them picked up and equipped a moloch armour - that's practically insta-death. Getting to L50 is nice though, but you can get it from other means. How far in are you now?
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

UL: 6
7 corruptions and 3 SoCR. my dexterity is getting bashed to death with this corruption...
I lost my invisibility, I never realised how easy the game was with invisibility...
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 22 hours, 25 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 10:13 (GMT -5)

The real nasties see invis anyway...but it sure does speed up the boring easy fights.

If you have saved up moss of mareillon, it is a good idea to employ it now. Will take that Dx right up again. And who knows what might happen if you remove those corruptions after that.
Kingsdragon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:25 (GMT -5)

Died on lvl 50 cause I aged to much. bugger.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

Ouch! Bad way to go - commiserations. With short-lived races I always do D50 invis to avoid the ghost lords.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: