Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Racial differences

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

minchazo
Registered user

Last page view:

5795 days, 15 hours, 45 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

Out of curiosity, is there any difference between races in the late game? From what I can recall, the basic differences between race are:

• Experience required to level
  • Starting skills
  • Starting HP/MP regeneration rate
  • Starting attributes
  • Additional Talent for some races

In the late game, the only ones that should truly affect you are the experience level and additional talent. Skills, regen rate, and attributes can all be modified by potions, scrolls, or corpses.

Are there any other aspects of race that would affect high-level characters?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 20 hours, 52 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

Alertness is very hard to get if you don't start out with it thanks to being a dark elf or drakeling. Drakelings also have a special relationship between body temperature and speed. The lifespan of the races is also kind of important, at least if you find yourself right in the middle of a ghost king infestation.

The experience level requirements don't have much impact safe for the absolutely ludicrous amounts a troll has to collect.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 22:28 (GMT -5)

Some other differences off the top of my head:

-Starting equipment
-Starting pet for bards
-Extra crowning gift possibility for elves
-Additional talent available for dwarves
-Dex penalty for hurthlings wearing shoes
-Hurthlings require one less corruption to enter quickling tree
-Hurthlings start with extra thrown rocks skill levels
-Gnomes require 25% less crossbow marks
-Extra piety from certain racial items (only really matter for dwarves)
-Stat potentials (this can have a very big effect)

I second that skills are a big difference - Alertness and Find Weakness in particular. Also experience requirement differences are still very major for gnomes, hurthlings and humans compares with the others.

But I must ask, why are you looking at the races in such an odd way? Yeah, sure, any can end up fairly the same, but how many get that far? And if you're thinking about how good they'll get in the end you're kinda missing the point - playing the game. This isn't just a character generation program, it's something you're meant to have fun with :P

Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
asdsda
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

WHats that talent exclusive for dwarves? I didn't know about that!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

Not only hurthlings require one less corruption.
Gnomes too, and a Dark Elf with just the thin and nimble corruption can enter the quickling tree just fine. - that's what I learned while playing a DE thief last week.

The exclusive talent for dwarves is Mithril Skin, the last of the +PV talents.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/3/2008 at 04:33 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

Didn't know that about dark elves. I wonder if
it works for other elves.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5771 days, 21 hours, 48 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 08:28 (GMT -5)

Actually in theory you can enter quickling tree without any corruptions at all. The game checks your weight when you enter it (you must weigh at most 10kgs iirc).

And drakelings can spit acid. Very very useful imo. Both for surviving earlygame with weak chars and getting starved quickly even if you've eaten a blessed stomafillia to train stats.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/3/2008 at 08:34 (GMT -5) by Timpen]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 19:58 (GMT -5)

In theory it is impossible to weigh lower than 10 kgs without corruptions :)
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 15 hours, 4 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

What Darren said plus:

-halflings require less weapon marks to advance skill in thrown rocks and slings(-33% I think)
-dwarves always have a chance at the artifact pick axe for crowning gift
-shop prices are affected by what race you and the shopkeeper are

Does anyone know if race affects your chance to learn spells, or is it just your class and Le stat which matter?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
zv
Registered user

Last page view:

5660 days, 20 hours, 25 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 08:10 (GMT -5)

> Does anyone know if race affects your chance to
> learn spells, or is it just your class and Le stat
> which matter?

Yes, it does. Trolls have penalties.
Nezur
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 09:46 (GMT -5)

The potential maximum attribute scores also have effect on the gameplay almost throughout the game.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 12:45 (GMT -5)

And for the sake of completeness, the artifact bow Sun's Messenger is available to all gray and high elves through a crowning.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 15 hours, 4 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 03:46 (GMT -5)

Ooh, I've got another one:

Dwarves can read what's written on Griff Bloodaxe's grave, don't think others can do that.

I also don't remember what is says, nothing important anyway, something like "here lies Griff, great warrior" or somesuch..
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 04:42 (GMT -5)

Others can too, I think, with 100 Literacy or something.

Orcs and trolls can eat rat corpses. Dwarves can't eat orc corpses, hurthlings can't eat black hurthling corpses.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 16 hours, 27 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 04:48 (GMT -5)

Trolls can eat doppleganger corpses. Drakelings, orcs and trolls enjoy raw meat more, with trolls enjoying them the most. Just for the sake of completeness.
Also, someone asked about the exclusive talent for dwarves: it's Mithril Skin, I think it gives +3 PV and it doesn't need Steel Skin either.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

To be even more exact, dwarves can eat orc corpses only if they're starving. The same is true for the other races and normal doppleganger, possibly doppleganger lord corpses. Only trolls can eat doppleganger kings, which give you a shot at stat boni.

I think while drakelings enjoy raw meat more, they do not actually get more nutrition out of it like orcs or trolls do. That's at least what the guidebook says.

Trolls cannot take advantage of potions of troll blood, meaning their natural HP regeneration cannot increase beyond 6 turns per HP. This means, in turn, that their maximum natural HP regeneration is 20% lower than that of all other races, which can increase theirs to 5 turns per HP with troll blood!

High elves and gray elves can never get the potion of literacy, which puts them at an obvious disadvantage if you aim for a "get all artifacts possible" game.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/5/2008 at 09:09 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
minchazo
Registered user

Last page view:

5795 days, 15 hours, 45 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Mostly I got to wondering after reading things like, "high elf archers become really strong in late game," or "gnome beastfighters eventually become a powerhouse" or similar sayings. It made me wonder if I was missing some racial-specific aspects, especially since I rarely get to high levels.

I've been playing thieves for the last few months, ever since I pickpocketed Ironfist on my first in-game attempt, found seven-league boots in the black market, and got a surge of power in the 2nd level of the village dungeon. Then died to a stone block trap... *cue the beginning of a long string of thief deaths*

Which reminds me, ever since I quit save scumming (almost 2 years ago), my reactions to character deaths have changed:

While save scumming: "Meh. I'll keep reloading until I crit the blighter and kill it,"

Without save scumming: "AAAAUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!" *bang* *crash* *pant* *pant* *pant* ...........
ADOM.EXE

Oh, and thanks for all the answers! I'd forgotten a couple of the benefits y'all have mentioned.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/5/2008 at 15:36 (GMT -5) by minchazo]
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5799 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:13 (GMT -5)

Thats alot of good info. That thing about troll is especially odd, I don't know if it was purposeful, but it seems awfully silly to have trolls with the lowest potential max hp regen of all the races.

Btw, that whole tings with your thief there minchazo reminds me of every time i try to start a bard. Its gotten to be so annoying, that i've considered playing a Dwarven Bard =p. I just hate losing promising characters to stone block traps, or simply traps in general.
Going for 2nd win
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:45 (GMT -5)

We all know that feeling, minchazo. It's one of the the things that keep you coming back in a sort of masochistic way...

As for the race/class suggestions, many combinations work very well together due to emphasised stats and complimenting skills. There's no overall reason why every combination works though - some just do, oddly.

Thieves are horribly weak, though after level 6 and with decent Detect Traps stone block traps (along with traps in general) almost become a thing of the past. They still stay weak throughout the game though.

Dwarven bards are great for their brilliant cave bear pet, but not great because it's hard to get the necessary 4 starting talents with them. I'd recommend gnomish bards - the giant raccoon pet is fun, and you can quickly get to level 10 just by staying on VD1 and 2 (where it's very safe). The worst thing about bards is spending ages getting one with the skills you want, only to have it die almost straight away.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 03:06 (GMT -5)

> Mostly I got to wondering after reading things
> like, "high elf archers become really strong in
> late game," or "gnome beastfighters eventually
> become a powerhouse" or similar sayings

Well, that puts a bit of perspective on things : )

To my eyes, the above statements refer to the
ability of a PC to compete in the late game, even
if you haven't put a lot of time into developing
them. Any PC can become enormously powerful with
enough work, but few race/class combos can get
there with very little work.

For example, a gray elf wizard can beat the game
in ~25000 moves, that's not something all race/class
combos can do. To do that, your PC (whatever it is)
must have certain abilities, such as:

Deal massive damage, inflict different KINDS of
damage, be able to either dodge or absorb big
damage from enemies, resist confusion, have some
way of dealing with aging attacks, and have enough
HP's to survive at least some mistakes.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: