Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Forum instability?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4211 days, 19 hours, 38 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 03:11 (GMT -5)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this recently, but the forums seem to be a tad unstable of late. Constant refreshes tend to get through eventually, but it can mean lost posts and such (I've taken to copying message contents before posting just in case). Is there any particular reason for this? Anything we can do to help?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4040 days, 20 hours, 20 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

Not the only one, yeah. I would've complained about it myself, but I was having enough trouble getting my other posts out :(
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5743 days, 2 hours, 18 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:46 (GMT -5)

Yes, I was having trouble logging in all last week, then it took me a VERY long time to actually send a message, I'm talking about three or more minutes here...
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5629 days, 9 hours, 41 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 10:54 (GMT -5)

Seems to be better now.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4869 days, 21 hours, 54 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

Hurray!
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:43 (GMT -5)

Yup, magically repaired my end too. Thought at first it was just a fluke, but it's been like this at least 24 hours now. Back to normal ADOM discussion!
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

Did I speak too soon? Getting a *lot* of "system resource exceeded" messages now. Constant refreshing does the trick though (and firefox never loses what I've typed up thankfully).
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 14 hours, 27 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 09:44 (GMT -5)

These problems seems to come and go. For a while I was sure it was due to the underlying Access database starting to reach it's limit, but then it seems to clear up again.

I'm on a shared hosting plan so I suspect it's caused by them shunting various sites around and if we happen to share the server with more popular (or memory leaking) sites things start grinding to a halt untill they re-distribute things again, or something like that.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 at 18:39 (GMT -5)

Jan, you think maybe it might be best to just disallow unregistered posts?
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4900 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 at 02:05 (GMT -5)

I don't think registering needs any validation, so it'd be a matter of time 'till the bots smartened up. I'm not suggesting to make registering a pain, mind - what I really hate is when someone gives me a link to another forum, where I have to sign up, enter half a page of info and click a link in an email just to be able to view the damn thing.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

Maybe... but I'd like to try a few more anti-spam countermeasures first, and it haven't been all that bad lately. Think we can live with having to nuke 2-3 spam posts a day manualy.

Might have to completely disallow posting of URL's by unregistered users or something if it keeps up thugh...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

Just for kicks I set it up to send me an e-mail notice every time the filters currently in place where tripped.

So far I seem to turn away something like 3-4 spam posts every 10 minutes, though obviously it will probably ebb and flow a bit.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: