Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Spit in your face!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 12 hours, 33 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

Y'know I don't seem to be able to enjoy playing the game normally, even though I have few wins under my belt. I'm always wanting to try out different weird challenges or trying to achieve some odd objective. Well, recently I read up on the damage drakelings do with their acid spit to see how effective it really was...

(Lvl/3)d6 + (Lvl/2) is the formula, with a minimum of 2d6+2. Thus at level 50 it'd be 16d6+25 - that's 41-121 damage, with an average of 81. So that got me thinking... well... with a boss like Fisty having arond 1000 HP, it'd actually only take 13 hits on average to cause that sort of damage. And for Andy it'd only be around 130 hits (compared to 40-60 shots normally sent with missiles). That's not too bad really, is it?

So I started up a drakeling farmer born in Cup that only uses acid spit to harm enemies. No weapons, no livesacs, no wands, no pets, no luring onto traps even (though I have had cats disposed of by getting them in line with another enemy's breath weapon). So far doing quite well - cleared all the early tower levels and half the temple, and now starting on DarkForge for some extra levels and an AoLS (so I can get the Water Orb) before I dare face the Wyrm. Unfortunately with drakeling speed I can't get many levels in the Tower itself - levels I could really do with.

The thing I didn't realise before about the acid spit is that the PV of the monster is subtracted from the damage. So against the steel golems most of my attacks aren't having any effect and I'm having to slowly whittle them down. They thankfully can't hurt me, but getting through them is rather dull.

Stil, it's exciting to get this far, and the little guy is proving quite a tough nut. DV/PV is 88/41 and HP is 290 on just level 21. Once I can get more levels in the guy his spit will be more powerful and I'll start having an easier time. Pool-sipping in the game has also given him random teleporting, death ray resistance, and most recently perma invis (which thus removes the need for the ring of invis I've been using since the dwarven graveyard). Got 3 precrowns using a massive herb farm on D9 (3rd was prayed for after achieving level 17 in the pyramid) - Hammerhead, SotA and Preserver. There's 2 forges in UD if I want to take advantage of the first one (though the place is overrun with grey oozes on some levels). Actually... is smithing possible with random teleporting?

I must say, I've never seen a game with so many swords of sharpness and phase daggers in the early game. Or so many grey oozes and stone golems. I'm really worried about how many diamond golems are gonna appear later... But still, I've had some good luck with items, like the ring of invis, ring of regen, 2 rings of ice (though quite unneeded actually) and bracers of resistance, not to mention luck with pools. No SLBs unfortunately (they'd help a lot) - I'd consider using a pool wish on them instead of Khelly, but with the slow play I imagine the SoCRs will be needed badly.

Unfortunately Ultra is not a possibility - emperor moloch's PV is far too high. Greater molochs will also be unassailable during the course of the game. ASB will be hard for the same reason, and I'll liekly try and get to level 50 before facing him. ACW is my most immediate concern though... If I can find some potions of confusion or blindness then I should be safe, but otherwise I might have to just rely on drakeling speed and lots of spenseweed and healing potions. (I do have a stun ray wand and the Web spell too, but they can't be relied on so much)

Oh, and no wands of cold this game. I'm going to have to resort to bridge building to get the High Kings' ring soon (though passing a hostile EG isn't a big problem - but he's too tough to kill for xp) Rift seems unlikely either with poor skill advances (I killed Yergius early to get a cheap fireproof blanket) Would be dangerous there anyway - diamond golems are fairly common. Bug Temple I won't go near without SLBs.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

> with a boss like Fisty having arond 1000 HP, it'd
> actually only take 13 hits on average to

I wonder how many hits it would take after the PV
is added on? I don't remember Fisty's PV, but I'm
sure it's pretty high.

> Hammerhead, SotA and Preserver.

This may wind up being a silly question, but I'm
just able to remember what SotA is?

> ASB will be hard for the same reason, and I'll
> liekly try and get to level 50 before

Without critical hits, the ASB will be a really
tough fight. Not even the find weakness skill
would do any good there. I would advise killing
the AKW for the exp. but the AKW has -acid.
Well, the BDC's are available soon after gaining
the fire orb. You might consider making a bee
line for them, and coming back for the temples.

> ACW is my most immediate concern though

The drawbacks of acid spit would all be pronounced
against the ACW. It won't work with meat shields,
it only works in as a straight line attack, and it
has no chance for critical hits. I think it would
be much tougher than even blinging.

I think this might be a situation where luring the
ACW to the stairs might be a benefit. It would give
the option of emergency teleport, and reduce the
hassle if he was to panic.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4928 days, 12 hours, 59 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:43 (GMT -5)

Hah, finally something in which I'm better than a pro. :) SotA=Staff of the archmagi.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

Aha!

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

I'm thinking it's best to get the ACW cornered in a corridor, preferably on the level below. My character will hopefully be buff enough and fast enough to survive berserking from him when he's on low HP. At work tonight, but I'll continue with this madness tomorrow.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 01:56 (GMT -5)

DarkForge pools proved awful, in spite of the huge convenience of having a co-aligned altar in the above level. I lost fire resistance and perma invis (back to keeping the ring of invis on now) and some stats. Gained paralyzation resistance, but with Preserver that's quite irrelevant. The worst thing was 51 years of aging added in, bringing me to 74 - drakelings can die at this age, so one more pool sip might be the death of me. Makes invis even more important now. And no wish - bah.

So I decided screw it, Khelly can die. Went and got the HK ring (used bridge building - only took 4 attempts to make 3 sections with the skill at 71). Decided I'd get crowned before going further - Shirt of the Saints and shock immunity (I wanted acid to fit in with the char and cause I can't kill slugs, but oh well). SotS is the only useful crowning gift I could have gotten, so I have to be pleased with it. Read a blessed ID scroll just to get its status updated and guess what? Yup, RoDS in there - a random opal ring I picked up in the HK tomb.

So I'm off to save the dying sage now. Teleport spellbook will be a great help if I can read it. Water Orb should be acquired shortly. Need to train Dex up a little too, since corruption and aging have brought it down. Will kill Kherab later for his anvil so I can do some smithing in UD. Ochre jellies are being a big nuisance on some levels though...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 15:04 (GMT -5)

ACW died to 15 acid spits. He was ridiculously easy. Just finished the library and am about to dive down the CoC. Will likely make a beeline for the BDC. Couldn't kill Kherab because his regeneration is too strong, so I slaughtered Glod instead and peaced out Dwarftown. Have ridiculous DV/PV now... Just found another RoDS in the Rift, and I'm not sure what to spend it on. SLBs just don't seem necessary. I'd consider Concentration if my guy was in the least bit able to use magic effectively... Potions of youth might be wise. Also got Skullcrusher from a surge of power, hah.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 7 hours, 27 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 15:52 (GMT -5)

How about alchemy to make potions of youth and longetivety? "Offensive alchemy" might also be quite useful for a drakeling, a good way to speed yourself up if you need it.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

I was thinking of alchemy actually... I think I'll have to go with that, as recovering some stats from age loss would be nice (as well as not worrying about impending death). I wouldn't use offensive alchemy to speed myself up because the risk of hitting something with it is too high. I have wands of fire for when I emerge from D49.

Edit: Wished for alchemy. Potion of youth recipe is balance + boost speed - argh! Have one potion of balance and none of boost speed. Will have to check the gift shop again. Currently chewing through a giant vault - only had hammer of the gods in it.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/11/2008 at 16:41 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:19 (GMT -5)

> got Skullcrusher from a surge of power, hah.

Oh, that won't be the last! Be prepared to find
many more artifact weapons in this game : )

> chewing through a giant vault - only had hammer
> of the gods in it.

See!
Seriously, I think you've got a good shot at
winning. I think the only thing that could really
hinder you would be the ASB, just because of the
PV and regen. With enough exp. levels though, you
should be able to get him eventually.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

Also found Wyrmlance and a murderous eternium halberd. You know good farmers are with polearms, right? Damn it... Also seen more eternium spears than in any other game, and even more phase daggers and swords of sharpness in all other games combined. And I met my first GM on D47 - 22 of them in fact. Thankfully I just used a wand of monster detection to discover their location, so I should be able to avoid them easily enough (it's the UC split and the stairs are far apart, but I haven't disturbed them yet at least). With any other char I'd think "yay, free xp" but this guy hasn't a hope against normal molochs yet.

Currently gaining levels in the dragon caves without much bother. Hoping for decent equipment too. Cleared the D48 guardians and a titan when slowed (one of few spells I've managed to learn) and now up to L36. Getting to 50 against the wyrms in here shouldn't be much of a problem. Made myself a youth potion but am still "old" - I really want more to restore my stats a bit. Alchemy's proving impossible to raise higher though. Haven't actually taken the Barney quest because I don't know if I can kill him with his regen - probably best ignoring it in fact. After to L50 I'll go do quickling tree for speed, which will be invaluable against the ASB.

It seems that the drakeling spit range is entirely based off your strength stat. May drink some boost strength potions for the archmage fight and hopefully have a huge range. Does stun ray work on him?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

Level 41, found another RoDS. Not sure what to spend it on... Balor appeared on BDC5, and I was able to harm it all right, but things were getting messy with all the ancients so I decided to lure it down a level. What's the first thing it does? Summon molochs. God damn it... Will see if I can keep these at bay somehow...

EDIT: I can kill the bastards, just a matter of not getting ganged up on. I got the balor to critical, made him invis and slowed myself, and guess what happened? Ancient dragon breathed through him and killed him. That was my xp!!!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/12/2008 at 15:32 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

Technically, he's not resistant to either stun or
paralyze rays. In practice though, he's just so
insanely good at shrugging off bolts, that your
chances of getting one through, are next to zero.

I wonder why the problems with raising alchemy.
Maybe try brewing up a few 'cure poisons', just
for training.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

Farmers are awful with skills - I'd had trouble raising the vast majority of them. In spite of a lot of time spent dodging bolts my Alertness is only in its 70s. Tactics is still down in the 40s (though I have just been on Coward - still, I feel cheated since the boost learning didn't work out this time, giving me 100 in 2WC instead.) Have Alchemy up to 39, and tried training it a bit using the booze recipe (pepper + water, though I can't spare much water for that).

I've discovered something I didn't know before... The level 25 class power for farmers is "they learn to pick herbs with a lot more skill to pick the better ones". I would have thought before this meant more blessed herbs, which seems silly since with 100 Herbalism you get plenty of those anyway. This actually isn't the case. What it means is that you get more of the good type in any dual square. More stomafillia than stomacemptia, more pepper than burb, etc. For most characters this doesn't matter at level 25, but for my guy it makes getting lots of stomafillia very nice. Could potentially be bad for alchemy though, or if you deliberately wanted emptia or devil's rose.

Spend my wish on Concentration, and another RoDS on SLBs (which I plugged my saved up scrolls of defence and protection into). The Concentration turned out quite nice - I've learned a few spells to decent knowledge, and can regen HP fast enough to actually cast Teleport every now and then. Mixed another youth potion to take me down to middle-aged. Level 45, St 44 (54 with orb), To 47, Speed 165, DV/PV 209/81, HP 761, PP 246 (HP is surpsisingly low for that amount of toughness). Just used the unicorn reward up and have 17 SoCRs and 2 PoCCs. May sound like overkill but I'll end up spending a lot of time clearing D50 (I have a wand of destruction, but even with this guy I'm not pussying out).

I *really* hope I can damage the ASB faster than he regens... Archmage I'm less worried about - he's just a matter of patience. 13 spit range keeps me away from his death rays (which I have multi resistance to anyway). Maybe I'll even get lucky with Stun Ray - it worked first time for both the ACW and Barney.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 00:40 (GMT -5)

> Tactics is still down in the 40s (though

With my blinger, it never rose either. I
think you have to melee to get it to rise.

> The level 25 class power for farmers is

Hurray! You've really discovered a use for
this petty class power! You should be rewarded
mortal!

> HP is surpsisingly low for that amount of toughness)

Indeed. Especially considering you are at
exp. level 45. I would have expected HP's
to be closing in on ~1000 by now.

> hope I can damage the ASB faster than he regens

I do believe the ASB is capable of panic.
Considering he can move through walls, that
could be a pain if he does. He didn't flee
from my blinger though, so he should stand
and fight with your spitter as well. Since
your speed is 165, you should be able to
stay ahead of his regen, with any kind of
damage at all.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 05:55 (GMT -5)

Panicking I'm used to. One nice thing is that if an enemy panics and you hit it with an acid spit then it behaves as if it was hit by a missile and returns to the fight. This works even if you're invisible. This can be scummed to a certain extent in corridors - if it panics let it run a few spaces before hitting it again, it'll come back a few steps then panic again, so let it move a few spaces again, etc. Handy for avoiding berserking melees. In open spaces panicking monsters almost always move in diagonals, so it's possible to guess its movement and spit on it before it gets too far, then let it return to the fray and start spitting again.
zv_unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

actually, isn't the herb power at level 18? I think at 25 you get the all-powerful mashing corpses into iron rations.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 07:31 (GMT -5)

Heh, you're right, sorry. The level 25 power is far greater ;P (I wonder, is that the worst power in the game?) L18 means the herb power might still come in maginally useful, but generally by the time I do the pyramid I've gathered all the herbs I'll ever need.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4068 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

I'd have a lot of trouble coming up with a class power that is as useless as the level 25 class power of the farmer. Even the Druid class powers that increase HP and PP regeneration in the wilderness have their uses, for instance in a "reach level 50 in the wilderness" challenge game.

EDIT: At least the level 25 class power of the farmer doesn't mess with your ability to get intrinsic fire resistance like the level 6 class power of the elementalist does. The latter is still more useful overall because it does help in the early game to be resistant to fire, even if you have Frost Bolt to deal with the fire vortices.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/13/2008 at 08:01 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 18 hours, 27 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

>I'd have a lot of trouble coming up with a class power that is as useless as the level 25 class power of the farmer.

I agree. It wouldn't be quite as bad at level 6...turn useless zombie and kobold corpses into food...but at level 25...AFTER getting a stomofillia-giving class power...and at least after getting past the food-giving arena...oh so useless.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

Killing the Archmage brought me to level 50. Was pretty easy actually. As I thought, his death ray has a short range - only about 5. His energy ray and forst bolt spells have a range of about 15. I was able to beat that with the fire orb and a newly found GoGS, letting me easily snipe him with acid spit. Alertness also helped when he came in range - only had to use one PoUH when leading him out (3 death rays in a row, ouch).

However, I still have a serious issue - the Ancient Stone Beast. Old stoneface still regens faster than I can hurt him, and that's with acid spit now on maximum damage. He can't hurt me at all either, leaving us to an odd stalemate. I'm tempted to eat the Archmage corpse for the speed increase - might even get a speed corruption too (I have 17 SoCRs so it's not a big problem). On top of that I may go back to the bug temple, where there are still several rooms of killers locked off. I have no further use for Willpower after all...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 10:36 (GMT -5)

Bugs and Archmage only brought my speed up to 174 :( Next stop - BDC. Time to scum for a wish for speed.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

How about going the other way with it?
Slow monster the ASB. That should hinder his
regen quite a bit. I don't think there are any
monsters in the game that are immune to it, but
it can be difficult to get it to take effect.

It would be annoying though, if you got him to
critically wounded, and he suddenly sped up again.
You would have to waste many more turns, trying
to get it to work again, with him regenerating
all the time.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 12:28 (GMT -5)

You know when you have one of those moments where you think you might nevre be able to touch ADOM again?

I got the 1/10th weight corruption and equipped all my speed items to bring it up to 216, then started fighting the ASB using the Slow Monster spell on him (which was 100% effective, and needed only 3 castings over the whole fight). Slowly whittled him down, got him to critical, then I read "The Ancient Stone Beast melts away!" I think yay. But then... the console freezes.

I try leaving it for a while, and nothing happens. I tap spacebar and return, since sometimes that undoes problems in Sage. Nothing happens. I panic, and for a full five minutes the console is completely unresponsive to any commands. I felt ready to scream and then... the skill increase screen pops up.

Dear Christ that was scary... Funny though that it's been the only scary moment in the whole game. The actual gameplay has been safe throughout - this guy is untouchable. Off to melt away D50 now :D
Nezur
Registered user
Overlord of Jak-Aragth

Last page view:

5814 days, 10 hours, 56 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

Whew!

That has happened to me too with Sage.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

> You know when you have one of those moments
> where you think you might nevre be able to
> touch ADOM again?

You had me going there!
I was laughing my head off : )

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

Halfway through D50 now. Cleared everything but the central chamber and roused the balors. Then used a RoDS I found (another!) for speed to help against them. Only lasted through killing 6 of them, which shows how slow I'm going. Still, having an easy time with SLBs and long range spitting. Just takes time. Have to go to work now, so I'll come back to finish the job later.

SSssssss!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 20:45 (GMT -5)

And they all just melted away... It is done - Black Dragon (that's his name by the way) is victorious, and has left the Chain earning 23.9 million points. As he's only my third gate-closer, he's third on my high score list (my fifth victory overall - and all within the past year!) A somewhat tedious game, but it certainly had its fun elements! Will post an edited flg tomorrow...
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 20:55 (GMT -5)

To think, you actually 'spit to death' the forces
of chaos! How embarrasing for them : ) The vile
demons have to rejoin the lower planes, knowing
they will be mercilessly ridiculed, for being
'spit to death'!

I suppose the ASB was the most grueling fight in
the game, but who was the runner up? Close calls?

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 12:57 (GMT -5)

Andor Drakon: I gave you thousands of troops, powerful equipment, immense chaotic power. I corrupted the orbs of balance and over thousands of years built up an unstoppable army to destroy the world. And you lost how?!
Fistinarius: Well, he just... he just kept on spitting at us, see. We tried grabbing him but he just kept running away and spitting at us more. It was really icky...

DarkForge was more gruelling at low levels - took ages to plough through all the steel golems. Kherab was a bit of trouble too, though I only killed him for xp. But ASB was the toughest individual by far, even though he was regenning 1 in 4 turns. There was nothing in the game I'd describe as a close call. Archmage brought me low with death rays at one point, but I was still faster and had loads of PoUH - only had to use 1 and carry on luring him out. Bugs would have been trouble without SLBs, but I never do that place without them anyway. Nothing else could hurt me, especially with spit 'n' back tactics.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: