Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Paradoxes

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4232 days, 10 hours, 46 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

That's not true - light always travels at c. The speed of propogation of light through a material is something different than the speed of light - the light rays in this instance are affected by the electromagnetic fields of the atoms. In essence they get bounced around a bit, slowing their progress through the medium, but never altering their actual speed.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5763 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 at 06:10 (GMT -5)

People once thought travelling the sound of speed was impossible. I betcha it IS possible to go light speed.
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

Well I imagine the previous thoughts about exceeding the speed of sound were not based on any form of scientific thought. Whilst certainly our understanding of the universe is still limited today I still think the ideas behind the limitations of c are extremely well grounded. I'll not bore you with a description why because I probably couldn't explain it very well... But it has cropped up in some unusual places where it has often surprised physicists - the inability the transfer information faster than light in particular. I always think a good way to check if something's right is to see if unexpected results actually come from it - General Relativity is a great example to this, as it predicted all sorts of things like the expansion of the universe and black holes that Einstein himself didn't believe in, but still turned out to be correct according to the theory.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 11 hours, 28 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 at 20:27 (GMT -5)

Well, there are things that can travel faster than light...
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/29/2008 at 20:27 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Kingsdragon
Registered user
You smelt it you dealt it!

Last page view:

5763 days, 17 hours, 26 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 at 06:16 (GMT -5)

>Well, there are things that can travel faster than light...

In 1967, Gerald Feinberg, a physicist at Columbia University, proposed the existence of faster-than-light particles. In their mirror world above the light-speed barrier, tachyons would require infinite energy to slow down to the speed of light.

Could be real.
Behind every successful man is a woman, behind her is his wife XD
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 at 10:59 (GMT -5)

Invisible spaghetti monsters might also be real... There's no evidence for anything like that - we can use Occam's razor to discount any such theories unless something crops up where we need to know about them.

Silfir, what travels faster than light? I'd advise you to read over the Wikipedia speed of light article to see common thoughts on this and how they don't affect the light speed barrier.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4690 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 at 14:33 (GMT -5)

Heh, I think this discussion belongs back in Any Physicists Out There :-)

Darren: I am still waiting for a good explanation, resolving the conflict described in Any Physicists Out There I feel quite confident that the theory of relativity is relative -- that is, a matter of perspective. From each person's perspective (Rocket vs Pluto) time is moving more slowly for the other person.

The only resolution I can think of is that the threads are not perpendicular from the rocket's perspective . . . but nobody can explain to me why they would not be perpendicular.

P.S. Isn't there speculation that magnetic moments can comunicate faster than the speed of light? In a pair of associated magnetic moments, if one gets set to spin-down, the other is always spin up, regardless of distance, and without delay? Also, doesn't the theory of worm-holse mess with the idea that c is that fastest you can transmit information?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 at 15:04 (GMT -5)

I believe you're referring to "quantum entangling", which cannot be used to transmit information. When the quantum state of one particle is determined as spin up/down, the other is instantaneously determined too. But it cannot be controlled. Doesn't make much sense either, but that's quantum mechanics for you. Wormholes on the other hand are more science-fiction than scientific theory.

Will have another look at the relativity thing some time - can't remember exactly what you were asking about it.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/30/2008 at 15:08 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5606 days, 17 hours, 43 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008 at 05:43 (GMT -5)

I don't know if this can be considered a paradox, but some time ago I happened upon a new (to me, at least) ice cream flavor: tropical chili (pineapple, orange and chili). Of course I had to test it (since I love spicy food). The ice cream was good, though unfortunately it wasn't very hot (kinda expected since I generally use habanero in my cooking). Now, if I had an ice cream machine I could try making my own custom version of that: orange, pineapple and plenty of habanero. I guess that would make:

burning hot ice cream

I wonder if such thing should be eaten in summer or in winter ?
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4949 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 07:47 (GMT -5)

Is this the correct thread to discuss the forthcoming elections in the USA?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4061 days, 11 hours, 28 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 16:18 (GMT -5)

What exactly is paradox about them? That in any country other than the USA, Obama would've already won?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 at 02:12 (GMT -5)

Well maybe not paradoxical, but certainly the level of doubleplus ungood doublethink displayed by non-29%ers still thinking about the McCain ticket is.... no hang on, it IS paradoxical dammit...
DGrey
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 at 05:28 (GMT -5)

How about the paradox that they kept on to Bush for 8 years? That's some scary shit man :/
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 at 05:44 (GMT -5)

Thank goodness we have a much better non-bipartisan political situation in the UK.

/oh, hang on....
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2008 at 10:43 (GMT -5)

Well, at least all our parties are as bad as each other... :/
Portrait
Encephalon
Registered user
People's Person

Last page view:

4327 days, 14 hours, 9 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 08:15 (GMT -5)

I'm not really what you would consider a physicist, so I might be saying something moronic, but if every action has an equal and an opposite, then what if there was a way to guide light particles and make them collide with other particles?
if con is the opposite of pro, then isn't congress the opposite of progress?
~Philosoraptor

The gold pieces are engulfed in gray mist. nothing happens. you hear someone counting money.

You kick the Ancient Chaos Wyrm and kill it!
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 10 hours, 48 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 21:08 (GMT -5)

As I understand it two photons colliding can result in mass being created if there is sufficient energy involved. The resulting mass would then near instantly break down into various sub-atomic particles again.

At least that's the girst of what I got from a brief Google search or two, the equations being thrown around makes my brain hurt though. Try searching for "Photon-Photon Scattering" if you want to dig deeper :P
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2013 at 08:51 (GMT -5)

Faster than light would require as much energy than moving this universe the same amount that you are planning to travel.The theory would be negative mass x negative energy /mass of the universe x energy reguired x speed x just kidding.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: