Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Uncursing while too dumb

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Narushima
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 05:49 (GMT -5)

Too dumb to know how to read, that is.
So is there a way to remove a cursed item without a scroll of uncursing ?
Lost In Place
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

Holy water and piety are your other two options (if you aren't wanting to destroy it).
Narushima
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

And how do you destroy it ?
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4528 days, 58 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

You should read the official ADOM FAQ, where several workarounds are recommended. You may also look in the Guidebook, but it is extremely spoily.
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

5713 days, 10 hours, 39 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

Then if you don 't have holy water.

If you got the HP you can active an acid trap in hopes it will be destroyed. Of course remove everything else you are wearing and drop all other equipment to the side. Before triggering the trap.

Also if it is a weapon that is cursed. Some monsters have the ability to disarm you. Which also works on cursed items.
"THE TH TALENT SUCKS!!!!!!" - Gut
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

Of course, only weapons.

Rust monsters might be able to rust away iron armor or weaponry you're stuck with.

Pissing off your deity a lot will make him destroy your equipment. If you only wear your cursed stuff at the time, this will solve your problem, of course with the disadvantage of having no divine support until you make it up to him/her again. Artifacts cannot be gotten rid of this way.

If you fight an eye of destruction naked with the exception of the cursed stuff you wear, you might be able to get rid of them, if you can survive fighting an eye of destruction quasi-naked for a prolonged time... Which can grow more difficult if something else ambushes the two of you.

Scrolls of item destruction... Wear your cursed item plus two other items you don't care about. Read for a 33% chance of a satisfactory outcome. If you wear less than three items, I think scrolls of item destruction may fail.

Oh, and if you are in A+ shape regarding everything else (i. e. full health and PP, no sickness or poison, I think you also must not stand in darkness) praying will uncurse an item you wear - only if you have got credit with your deity of course.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Narushima
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

OK, thanks everyone. I hope I'll find a fencer or duellist, then. It looks like the best solution.
Nezur
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 12:06 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
Dipping an item into a blessed potion of exchange will transform it into another item of the same type (eg. a pair of bracers into different bracers) and cause the PC to drop the item in question. Potions of raw chaos also transform items albeit the PC may spill the liquid and suffer very serious damage as well as corruption.
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

Just thought of something else. If you are really brave/desperate and have a wand of lighting you could bounce the bolt back at yourself off a wall. Of course you run the risk of destroying your wand also.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 04:06 (GMT -5)

Not sure how well that would work. I think weapons are very unlikely to be destroyed by lightning, and you would need far too many tries, and would probably just kill yourself instead of losing the item.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Jeremaih
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

I think most trolls could easily handle some hits of lighting. Wands of lighting are not godly important. It may be a slim chance but you really have nothing to lose. Also it's a better solution for a PC that can't read than suggesting a scroll of item destruction.

jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

Sorry I said troll it's not clear if he is a troll. But really if you have enough hp than I don't see why not.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/22/2008 at 13:31 (GMT -5) by jeremiah]
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

Well I was trying to melt an iron weapon on the ground. Unsuccessfully but it was a brief try. I believe it can happen as it seems to me lighting has melted my iron before. But it must be a slim chance or need a powerful bolt. However if I was desperate enough I would still give it a try. Also it would work on any wood or stone weapons and most anything else.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/22/2008 at 15:17 (GMT -5) by jeremiah]
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

Something else popped into my mind. Some monsters corrode weapons when you hit them. Enough hits will eventuality destroy the weapon. However if you don't get enough hits before this happens you are stuck with a very corroded weapon. I would never try this with just a handful of weapon corroding monsters.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/22/2008 at 15:14 (GMT -5) by jeremiah]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

Well, the more corroded the weapon, the easier it is to hit the corrosive monster without killing it, further corroding it in the process. But yeah, one corrosive monster sure isn't enough.

That method works with cursed boots and gauntlets too, by the way.

EDIT: I think if you have so many lightning charges in your wand, you can just continue playing until you find some other means of cursing - you have lightning spells after all :)

And become literate if you aren't already. That will enable you to use scrolls of uncursing.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/22/2008 at 15:25 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

The bouncing lighting wand is a good one. It may not be so keen with metal. But for anything else it'll work just fine. There is no reason not to consider it. It may or may not be worth a try. Just like draining that acid trap or streaking in front of an eye of destruction. In ADOM it's good to have options. I can think of a few items where I'd do just about anything to remove them.

Becoming literate is a fine choice but not always convenient. I mean that is if you don't want to spawn any artifacts yet and dark meat is a rarity.

Of course the best method is to never put the cursed item on in the first place. But sometimes it can't be helped.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/22/2008 at 16:39 (GMT -5) by jeremiah]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

Point taken. You have to be really desperate before using a lightning wand on yourself becomes an option, but an option it is nonetheless.

Not putting on cursed items in the first place is a good point. I find the best method is to refrain from putting on anything at all if you don't think you can handle the item in question being cursed, or need to take risks. It's a crime not to use the first altar of your alignment you see to learn the status of your items. In fact, if you've used up your prayers, converting yourself to the altar's deity precisely to identify status might be worth it.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: