Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / What are your favourite books?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 8 hours, 45 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 19:05 (GMT -5)

What are your favourite books / authors?

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 hours, 7 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 05:31 (GMT -5)

I don't read a whole lot, but Terry Pratchett is high up there with whatever he does be it Discowrld or other projects.

I also liked Peter F. Hamilton's Nights Dawn trillogy enough to buy all his other books (but haven't gotten arond to read most of them yet).

I've for the most part enjoyed Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (though most of the books that start out following some entierly new characters (who often end up dead by the end) for most of the books just don't work too well for me.)

I'm about 3 and a half books into the Wheel of Time series now and it's good reading so far, seems to have a few things in common with the Sword of Truth series in that you have a ridiculously powerfull character who can defeat any foe as long as he can get his head togeter and controll his powers for a brief moment... I prefeer the heroes who can't blast a horde of enemies into oblivion with a mere thought, wich fortunately have the main focus so far.

Growing up I also read localized versions of Biggles, Hardy Boys and Tom Swift (third series I believe).
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 hours, 7 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 05:35 (GMT -5)

Oh and guess I should mention Tolkien too, great books although I have to confess after watching the movie version of the Lord of the Rings the books with all their rich detail feels a bit long winded at times.
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Swiftfingers
Registered user

Last page view:

5701 days, 3 hours, 11 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

I love G.R.R. Martin. His series 'A song of ice and fire' is particularly good, although not complete yet. He also has some collections of short stories that are enjoyable. Some of the first books of his that I read were from the 'Wildcard' series.

Another favorite author is Roger Zelazny. This man is a god.

Philip K. Dick is another very good author. Some of his books can be rather depressing, but they are still good nonetheless.

Emjoy:)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 at 04:12 (GMT -5)

Read "The War of the Flowers" by Tad Williams and enjoyed it a lot. The man is good.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 5 hours, 35 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 at 09:41 (GMT -5)

Jan:
You have it backwards. Sword of Truth has almost everything in common with Wheel of time, not the other way around (Wheel of time came first)

Goodkind took the elements of WoT, removed any decent plot, and added in heaping amounts of rape and misogyny . . . If you haven't guessed, I am not a fan of Goodkind's Sword of truth . . . ;-)

Sulfir:
Good call on Tad Williams. Have you read the two books in his latest series? (ShadowMarch and Shadow...Something or other)

Brasil:
Check out the entries in A new book series
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 at 10:11 (GMT -5)

Haven't read more of Tad Williams yet... I need to wait till my brother's finished with the Shadow series.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 13 hours, 30 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 at 12:50 (GMT -5)

Asprin - Another fine myth is one of my all time favorites. There are also some other great ones in this series.

Pratchet - I could probably re-read any of the disk world books at any time, still some I haven't read for the first time though : )

Wies and Hickman - Death gate cycle is great. It is a bit silly at times, but a guy like me really doesn't mind : )

Alexander - Chronicals of Prydain was really good.

Zelazny - I liked the Amber series, but not as much as everyone else in the world seemed to.

Herbert - I've read 3 of the Dune books, and liked them all.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 13 hours, 36 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

Harry Potter series. Lately I haven't read that much, but the last one that caught my eye was "The woman in the fifth", by Douglas Kennedy.

For the Horde!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4959 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

Faves: Douglas Adams, Pratchett, Iain (M) Banks.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 14:38 (GMT -5)

I'm noticing I'm running out of Pratchett books I haven't yet read. It blows, because bookstores here in Germany don't often stock them in English. I generally get books only if I've run out of things to read in the train, so ordering them wouldn't really work well for me.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 02:29 (GMT -5)

So you should visit the UK by train, and stock up huh?

I am going home (as in, back to the UK) for the first time in more than 3 years, and am torturing myself on my packing priorities for when I come back to Serbia... Whisky, books, marmite, books, tea, books, a few bottles of Golden Promise, some more books, maybe some curry spices.... <sigh?
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 03:24 (GMT -5)

There are several reasons I'd like to visit the UK some time.

For instance I'd like to finally watch a cricket match. You never get one on TV in Germany because no one watches it and I imagine the rights cost a fortune. I'm one of the fourteen people in Germany who know the rules and think that it's an interesting game, but you never get to watch one here. Maybe they will show the Ashes, but I'm not confident.

Snooker goes well with the German public in contrast - the World Championship regularly gets high ratings, mainly because it's moderated by someone who seems genuinely nice, well-spoken, knowledgeable and isn't afraid to shut up for a couple of seconds if he has nothing to say.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 05:23 (GMT -5)

I must admit to being partial to cricket... I even played a bit in Edinburgh - our team was in the lowest of the lowest student amateur divisions, but it was fun (ha ha, we were the team for the Catholic Student Society or whatever it was called, but we didn't have any Catholics, you can tell there is too much bureaucracy in a city when loopholes need to be exploited just to form a cricket team).

Not much love for cricket here in Serbia either. Jebige.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: