Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Losing artefacts permanently?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5697 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 09:20 (GMT -5)

Thought experiment just for fun: I can think of the following ways of permanently losing an already generated artefact:

* Sacrificing it at an altar.
* Dropping it in the ID, then changing dungeon level.
* Feeding it to the ratling.
* Dropping it in the Pyramid or Minotaur Maze, then exceeding the character level limit for entrance.

If you know of other means, keep them coming! I have a few untested ones as well:

* Is it e.g. possible to have the old crone pick one up, then completing her quests? If so, does she drop it when she vanishes, or does she take it with her?
* When giving a specific item to a specific character (gladius - gladiator, weird tome - minstrel, crumpled scroll - Khelavaster), does killing the character afterwards cause them to drop the artefact again?
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4081 days, 5 hours, 19 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

How about dropping artifacts on any kind of random wilderness level, then leaving it behind?
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4252 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

Dropping artifacts in the ID doesn't work - they reappear in your backpack when you leave the level. This can lead to Si deaths if you forget to ditch them before going on deep dives. Some ways that do work:

-Drop in the SIL and leave
-getting a friendly monster to pick up the artifact in the ID and then leaving the level
-get a monster to pick up the item and then transform them with corruption or exchange (not actually tested this)
-get a monster to pick up an artifact in the wilderness
-leave artifact on D49/50 after closing gate
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4910 days, 6 hours, 54 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

No monster will ever pick up a Si, that's what kills you in the ID. I used to think it was that way for all arts, but it's only for the Si.

Isn't it possible to destroy the Phial by kicking it? I seem to remember someone mentioning something about crushing arts after digging up graves, but I can't remember the specifics.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/18/2008 at 14:30 (GMT -5) by gut]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

Strangely, it appears to be possible to leave the Sceptre of Chaos behind in the ID. I did so once (really only getting it just for kicks after closing the gate), and it generated a special message about leaving a part of chaos behind forever or something.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3612 days, 6 hours, 59 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 at 10:18 (GMT -5)

Silfir you get that message after leaving the SIL, not after leaving the scepter behind. I also dropped the scepter in the SIL with my DE priest yesterday after he closed the gate, so that is pretty fresh in my memory.
For the Horde!
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 at 18:37 (GMT -5)

I did not leave the sceptre behind in the SIL - my memories aren't fresh per se, but I am quite sure on that fact (99%). I got it, left the SIL, carried it with me for some ID levels, then got fed up with the corruption, dropped it, and I'm pretty sure I received an additional special message in addition to being rid of the damn thing completely. The only thing that I have minor doubts about is the extra special message for leaving the sceptre behind - I'm 80% on that one.

It makes sense that you would only get one special message for leaving the SIL with the sceptre...
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4162 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

using phial in alchemy does get boom and artifact is gone.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5697 days, 7 hours, 36 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 at 07:06 (GMT -5)

Surely this will also apply for the sulfuric potion, which is an artifact.

Is it possible to have the Cat Lord pick up artifacts before talking to him? Providing you still have your Kitty Karma.
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5404 days, 3 hours, 51 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Obsidian quarrel:

Be at outdoors.
Let enemy crossbow-users get your Obsidian quarrel.
Stand next to the "invisible wall" aka the edge of the screen.
Dodge the quarrel when its shot, so that it flies out of the screen.

Once in lifetime experience.

"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

5349 days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

Wait, I didn't realize enemy archers would use ammo they picked up... I though the ammunition was generated when fired. Though if that works the same could be said for True Aim.
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5404 days, 3 hours, 51 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

Well the fact is, that I dont remember who shot the quarrel. It is possible that I was the one who shot it :D

Anyways the point was that missiles can fly out of the screen in certain situations.
"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: