Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / taming the big room?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

tipo mastr
Registered user

Last page view:

5639 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 19:06 (GMT -5)

Ok i've failed twice in my attempts to pacify the big room...so need some help. =P

My method is to find any reproducing monster and lock them in a 40 space hole in the southeast corner of the map.

But i cant get them to reproduce fast enough, and i cant kill ALL of the enemies before more of them spawn.

any tips? =)
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 8 hours, 56 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

Um.

You simply need to keep killing the monsters on the outside. All the while the reproducing monster will slowly reproduce. At some point you should notice that monsters stop spawning. This can take a while.

If you want the critters to reproduce and thus fill the 40 quota more quickly, maybe you should look into the door method instead of the digging one. In that case free squares can be filled from eight neighbouring squares containing monsters instead of one or two.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4962 days, 15 hours, 45 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 04:09 (GMT -5)

In other words, breeders reproduce faster when they have more space to multiply. I like to combine doors and digging a bit if I am going to pacify, but don't pacify the big room very often, cos its a pain in the ass.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 8 hours, 14 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

Well firstly I'd say make sure you're using a fast breeder - worms are best. Secondly I'd personally not kill everything outside straight away - keep the door locked and protected, but leave the other monsters to their own devices unless they disturb you. After the breeders have filled up their enclosure you can then clear the outside area. Still takes a while though - have patience.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4904 days, 21 hours, 13 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

Maybe lock a couple breeders in, if it's possible? Use a wand/scroll of monster detection to check on their progress. Sometimes I notice my breeders just don't seem to want to reproduce. I just kill that one and try again with a new breeder.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4903 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 16:05 (GMT -5)

I've had a random monster be generated in my breeder space, and kill all my breeders without me knowing it. I got suspicious after about ten million hours of killing hordes of monsters.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
tipo mastr
Registered user

Last page view:

5639 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 11:29 (GMT -5)

gut, you'd figure everything that could happen in ADOM has happened to you =P
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 16:18 (GMT -5)

Well not everything, but I find myself reading the 'my stupidest deaths' threads here and saying to myself "Yep, yep, yep, died that way too." : )
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5362 days, 8 hours, 14 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

I've been killed by a moloch in smv while i was changing armor. It took 2 hits and 2(or 3) warnings: "moloch misses do you really want to continue taking off the eternium plate mail y/N?" Betcha haven't done that? Huh?

Does enemies have diffirent breeding speeds, battle bunnies multiply like crazy but other than them?
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

Not in the SMC, and not 2 warnings, but yes : )

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/28/2008 at 06:48 (GMT -5) by gut]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 13 hours, 31 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

fastest way to pacify (in my none so humble opinion) is
- create locked area (preferably something 45+)
- took summoner inside (either source of invisibility or find neutral werewolf, in original attempt i used cursed figurine from shop)
-let him do the job - room soon will be full of mobs.
-teleport yourslef out.

Not easiest (as requires extra stuff) but very fast way.

Question for, gut. Once i had pacified place with red worms. Everything seemed fined, untill some soort of giant was generated inside and not very happy with companions. I was harvesting on other side. Happened to you?

From that sad case i learned one thing. Put your worm farm further from stairs:)

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/18/2008 at 16:34 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 13:09 (GMT -5)

Actually, two cases of pacification head ache come to mind. Once, it was a simple matter of locking in a breeder, and having some monster quickly generated in the breeder room. The other one left me feeling even worse, as the culpret wasn't even hostile to the breeders. It took me forever to figure out what was going on, and when I finally went to investigate the problem, I found something like this:

.................#..#
.................#..#
.................#..#
.@...............#..#
#################+..#
#wwwd...............#
#####################

Some monster had been generated extremely quickly, in JUST the wrong position. The stupid thing wouldn't even gradually drift to the right, as it was continually trying to get to me, while I was off fighting monsters to the left.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 8 hours, 14 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

This is why I make sure the rest of the big room is still reasonably full whilst the breeders do their work - no random spawning in the enclosure then.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 8 hours, 56 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

OR you guys simply make do with the doors. Can cost some booze, but at least no single monster will fuck up your scheme.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

OR just use the modern gut method, skip it entirely.
maddog
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2008 at 19:36 (GMT -5)

Some mobs bash doors, but they should'nt be an issue.
My primary concern is that I find myself wanting to set off a herb explosion. If I go through the bother of pacifying the big room I want at least 10 herb patches in exchange, oo I want to have as much floor space available as possible. Thus I dig in the east side. It has yet to fail me.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: