Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / A few newbie questions...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

decepto
Registered user

Last page view:

5693 days, 2 hours, 42 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

Hi everyone, I'm new to ADOM and have a few questions.

1. How do I cast spells? I was a priest and at level 6 the game told me "You can now turn Undead". Well, how exactly?

2. I've looked in both the druid dungeon, and the doggy dungeon, and I've found neither the druid nor doggy. Am I doing something wrong?

3. In the druid dungeon, I cam across a Kobold statue. I figured that had something to do with opening a secret door. Maybe I'm wrong. Does anyone know what that is for?

Thanks for the help :)
GG_Pope
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 at 21:20 (GMT -5)

1. Shift + Z casts a spell, but turn undead isn't a spell. It's a class power. Access it using Ctrl + X, i think.

2. The druid is on the bottom floor of the druid dungeon. The puppy, again, on the bottom floor of the puppy cave. You just have to descend to the last floor, that's all.

3. Statues don't have anything to do with secret doors, actually. Some really strong characters can wield them as weapons, but otherwise you can just kick them a couple of times and they'll break, dropping some rocks and maybe a wand.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 14 hours, 33 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 10:05 (GMT -5)

1. Casting regular spells is done by reading spellbooks you find and them 'Z' to cast them. It uses up PP. Priests and wizards always start with a few spellbooks, and tend to find a fair few as they go through the game. Class powers like turning undead are something different, and tend to be fairly useless.

2. The druid is on the base floor of the druid dungeon - level 7 to be precise. You get a special message when you get to that level saying "You sense a sinister presence". The puppy is on PC6, the bottom of the puppy cave. You have to get there in less than 4 days to have it generated alive, otherwise it will be a corpse. Generally it's extremely difficult to rescue.

3. Statues have no real use in the game, so don't worry about them too much if you happen to find them.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
decepto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 27, 2008 at 23:08 (GMT -5)

Thanks for all the help guys.

One more question, if you don't mind. Is there anyway to rest until HP is fully restored? In Dungeon Crawl, one can press "5", and the character will rest in it's place until hp is restored or until some other notable event happens (like a monster showing up).

Thanks.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3184 days, 3 hours, 57 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 00:34 (GMT -5)

Pressing w5 will wait in place for 20 turns.

20 turns is the default I think for the 'w' command.
You can change it to a different value by setting persistance in the cfg file (a text file you can edit).
You can set it for 50 or 100 or whatever to wait longer if you want.

Another use for the 'w' command is to search for traps or secret doors - use ws to search for 20 turns.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 14 hours, 33 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

You can also press 'w' followed by any direction to automatically keep walking in that direction until you meet an obstacle (item, door, monster alert). Any 'w' command will stop as soon as HP or PP are fully healed, or if a hostile monster comes into vision.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4903 days, 16 hours, 50 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Since you are a Crawl player, you are probably missing 'auto explore'. There is a program called Adombot that has a function that simulates auto explore in ADOM, but it's not implemented as nicely as in Crawl. I don't use it, but I was an ADOM player first, and so never got used to such a nice thing : )
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
decepto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 at 23:30 (GMT -5)

I actually never used the Autoexplore thing. It seemed a bit foreign to me.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4605 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 at 15:45 (GMT -5)

I think turning undead uses up significant piety and makes your god angry at you.

I'd only use it if my characters DV/PV was so low that I was afraid of the special attacks of the undead, like ghuls paralyzing me or wights/wraiths/spectres/vampires sucking my strength and toughness points away, which often happen on a successful hit (maybe you resist it if you have high Willpower?). If I remember correctly, a successful turn dead attempt makes nearby ones afraid of you and try to run away for a little while.

It's so rarely used, most people don't know much about it. It probably has a chance of failing against more powerful undead.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 at 20:55 (GMT -5)

Actually, Turn Undead has saved my life once, in the Weakest Link challenge over at the official forums no less. It was me with three rocks and 3 PV, but decent mostly self-acquired holy symbol piety versus a shadow lord and a ghost. The ghost was quickly turned, but the shadow lord took six tries and drained my strength twice. So yeah, the low chance of success against powerful undead thing is of course spot-on.

Still, it can be the last resort that saves your life, at least for a time. It won't help against rust monsters. (Oh, the rust monsters!)

I don't even think it consumes all that much piety. I was still able to use it after using it six times, two of which successfully turning undead, and priest class powers can only be used with piety at values above a certain threshold, which I couldn't have been much above considering I only had a holy symbol to get there.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: