Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / My introduction!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Krull
Registered user
Still victoryless?!

Last page view:

5663 days, 9 hours, 5 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

Hello everyone! I have been playing ADOM on and off for some years but have recently starting playing it a lot due to my internet connection cutting out for long periods of time...

I have been browsing this forum for at least 2 years and never said a word.

So it is time to make my mark and hopefully meet some friendly people in the process!

Sadly, the farthest I have ever gotten is to the water temple, where I was killed by that pesky Snake.... (Darkness....hello? *smacks self*), but I do consider myself fairly knowledgeable as I've read about every part of the guidebook. Just not cautious enough I suppose.

Well, that's it for my introduction so good luck everyone!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4903 days, 22 hours, 16 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Well, that's nothing. Darren can quote the guidebook word-for-word and he only got his first win a couple of months ago.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS : )
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4963 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

:-D

LOL!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3605 days, 22 hours, 21 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 at 10:49 (GMT -5)

Welcome Krull.

I myself am alot like Darren, apparently, I won the game for the first time only about 6-12 months ago. I've won about four times since then, I guess it just takes some time to play cautiously and intelligently ;)
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 19 hours, 59 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

There is indeed a certain point where you hit the maigc barrier of being able to win. It's not so much about knowledge as cautious play, and thinking through every available option before making any stupid moves.

Anyway, welcome to the boards. Hope to see you take part in the challenges and such - they really do help with the determination to succeed sometimes :)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 20 hours, 41 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

The key skill if you want to win is that of not dying. That means cautiousness combined with a good sense of strategy.

It's actually easier to stay alive in the endgame than it is in the early or mid game, especially if you're spoiled. So your first character to get past the ACW has a pretty good shot at the prize money.

If I look past, it's May 2005 for the first dead Snake, August 2005 for the first dead ACW (that character would've won too if he hadn't let the bunny level get out of control, gray elven wizard level 35), November 2005 for the first win. I started playing ADOM seriously in 2003, having discovered it in 2001. Since my first win I've accumulated nine more, making for a grand total of ten sadly regular wins. I don't have the patience for ultra tries these days.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4751 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

Yes, as helpful as the guidebook is, ADOM is just too random and brutal to not require strategy/carefulness etc. The early to middle game is definately tougher than the late game. I've never beat the ACW without scumming (although I've only faced him thrice)..

I did manage a win, but only after save-scumming heavily (in other words, I died during *every* boss-class battle but kept pasting my save file until I beat them), but hey, I learned how to play better.

Krull, if you have a favorite PC you want me to do fan art for, please let me know! Please..? I'm bored. See the thread entitled "PC Custom Art.." Do it now.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5173 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 at 17:08 (GMT -5)

Welcome to the forum, Krull :)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: