Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Finally some luck...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Scummer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

After my spectacular feats of stupidity, I finally got a little luck...started an elven priest and he's jamming away on a lesser vault in UD1 of gnolls and hyenas when all of a sudden bracers of war drop...these things should keep me alive for a while right? I've got a large admantium hammer equipped which does 1d10 +11...should be good to dwarven city at least? anything to be careful about on the way?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4081 days, 10 hours, 22 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

Be careful about not getting overconfident. The bracers of war do give you some armor and will fill up your HP after every fight, but they don't make you invincible.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4910 days, 11 hours, 57 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 at 16:29 (GMT -5)

> anything to be careful about

Maybe keep an eye out for breeders in places
like the big room.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Aragorn
Registered user

Last page view:

4871 days, 19 hours, 2 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 01:52 (GMT -5)

Elven priests are very frail. An acid or stone block trap, or some vortex can easily kill you. Be careful about that (though you cant do much about traps)

Its great to get bracers of war though, I have got them only once/twice till now.
Scummer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 10:31 (GMT -5)

Yellow ooze in the arena....should have been an easy fight but even with my spell I could take it down before it regenerated...I feel like a grade A moron.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4911 days, 22 hours, 39 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

Well, in my opinion, the things to watch for in games like this are choking on vomit, grues, crushing deaths, etc. Stuff that HP doesn't help much for. Oh, that and goblins, rats, and all the other minor monsters you think can't possibly kill you, so you don't bother watching your HP.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3130 days, 5 hours, 9 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 17:11 (GMT -5)

"and all the other minor monsters you think can't possibly kill you, so you don't bother watching your HP"

This.

One of my better barbarians fell, because I didn't think an Ogre Emperor was worth drinking a PoEH.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
B_C_
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 at 11:10 (GMT -5)

BoW are incredibly awesome but they won't save you from banshee-scumming the animated forest and forgetting to put beeswax back in b/c you got confused by a doppelganger lord on the previous level and cleaned your ears. But not that I would know anything about that.
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

5348 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

If I'm remembering correctly, I found these once, and in one of my first ever games. I didn't get them identified for a while (didn't really know how) and when I did I had no idea what they were. I asked a friend that got me into the game, he went nuts. I put them on when I got home from school and went to playing, the very first thing I found was a door trap, stone to the skull, game over. Sad but true.
Playing for 10 years, got nothing to show for it.
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5258 days, 15 hours, 47 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 at 09:22 (GMT -5)

if its an option you should kick doors from an angle, only a couple of the traps can kill you from an angle, the explody kind. if its a door trap it wont fall on you, other than that you can only get momentarily stunned or blinded. if you are forced to stand in front of the door you can dig the tile beside it and walk around the door, or you can choose not to open a door at all. if its in the corner and the stairs arent in there then sometimes the risk of losing equipment or dying isnt worth investigating a room that more than likely is empty anyways.

on the last note, if you have detect traps to 30 you can use it about 10 times and chances are if there was a trap you would have found it. even if you need to kick the door down, knowing what kind of trap it is you can prepare by dropping your items in a corner if you need to. doing this is a great way to destroy cursed items too. if there all you have they will probably get wrecked :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/9/2009 at 09:24 (GMT -5) by liptick]
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

5348 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

I know that now, but then... not so much. I just can't resist kicking doors down, I'm working on it, but in my mind the 'what if' plays non stop. What if there is a nice spell book back there? What if a wish is back there some how?
Playing for 10 years, got nothing to show for it.
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5258 days, 15 hours, 47 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

thats something to consider. I'm the same way but im choosy. gambling with locked doors is allright. If you dont have detect traps you will more than likely need to kick down a few in order to reach the next dungeon level. I will kick down that locked door to see whats inside as well, but if im a level 10 wizard with only 60 hp or less, i wont.
if you have more hp than a door can inflict on you then i would say always kick em down. if theres anything in your sack that you love, drop it away from the door. if you have a high healing rate and hp you could take the trap naked and then re equip and heal before going on.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: