Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Ratlings

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Kawa-tan
Registered user
Resident Asian Chick

Last page view:

5525 days, 9 hours, 27 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

This is more a worldbuilding/opinion question than a mechanical/fact one, as I'm working on building my own tabletop (D&D 4th Edition) campaign based mostly on ADOM. (I'll probably release the notes and such for it later for free as I complete it, since most of the ideas won't be mine, but that will only be after it's played through at least once.)

The Creator has mentioned before that he would is thinking about making ratlings a playable race in JADE; throughout the game as NPCs they have a distinctive presence that is pretty unparalleled for a race with no specific region to their name.

So far they seem to come in two flavors - neutral characters with an emphasis on rapier use, disarming, and/or crossbow use or rogueish chaotics. There seem to be plenty of merchant-type ratlings (arena food, Skriek, etc), your standard guards and such (HMV guards), and a few that are just plain out there for NPC purposes (demented).

How would you describe ratlings as a race? What sort of advantages do you think ratlings would have as a playable race? Did they once have their own area and homeland within the Drakalor Chain? (I sometimes imagine the Bug Temple or ID as places where there were once ratlings, pushed out for mysterious reasons.)
we will find illumination in a natural light...
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4969 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

Well seeing as you have your dueling and shooting ratlings, I guess they have high Dex... do they hold their swords in their tails???
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4081 days, 6 hours, 36 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 at 12:00 (GMT -5)

Rats are bloody fast, so Dex shouldn't be bad. Duelists are equal or superior to human master swordsmen when it comes to disarming. I'd rate ratlings higher in Learning than orcs or especially trolls too - average scores. They should probably suck at Appearance. Charisma - well, there are ratling merchants in the game. Maybe close to average, not as bad as Appearance. Toughness should be rather high - rats can survive pretty much anything. Strength can remain at average - the ratlings in the game aren't known for hitting hard, after all. Willpower - not that high. Pied Piper anyone? Perception can be pretty ok, I think. Maybe you could give them a sort of "Darkvision" in the sense that they have very fine noses and can use that for orientation.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
littlebrather
Registered user

Last page view:

4816 days, 6 hours, 21 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 00:43 (GMT -5)

I think Ratlings can be something average between drakelings and hurtlings - not high and not low Dx, average Str and good To. Of course good Le and maybe the should also get only 75% of xp to advanced a level, like Gnomes and Hurtlings. Starting bard pet - Giant Rat?? Eating rats and maybe kobolds should not make them sick - because rats fell themselves good while sick IMO =)
until it sleep
Scummer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

Yeah...obviously they are the offspring of humans and wererats....hybrids, if you will...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3130 days, 1 hour and 24 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 08:33 (GMT -5)

No, they are not. Ratlings are one of the 8 primal races (the chaotic water race to be exact).
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4252 days, 5 hours, 54 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

Yet the game feel of them is much more lawful/neutral.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
saladman
Registered user

Last page view:

5494 days, 16 hours, 56 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Probably give them low mana, as there are no ratling magic users in the game. Maybe have them get similar stats as the hurthlings.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

They're mostly neutral, but we've got no lawful ratlings, just neutral and chaotic AFAIR.
A realist sees a train.
Portrait
littlebrather
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

*They're mostly neutral, but we've got no lawful ratlings, just neutral and chaotic
have U ever seen any lawful hurthling NPC in ADOM?
until it sleep
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

Are there any? Shopkeepers are neutral by default, and there are no other hurthlings.
Just black hurthling, which are perverted, hairless mockeries of the real hurthlings and a completly diffrent race - read their description.
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2009 at 14:13 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Doesn't eating certain ratlings give a lawful boost? That's what made me think of the lawful nature of ratlings in game. Anyway, they certainly don't give off any chaotic flavour, in my opinion, in spite of what the "Gaethra's Dream" text on adom.de may say.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

It was a chaotic boost for no reason other then "the same effect that should have been unique to the ratling rebel" aka "you feel more rebelious".
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/26/2009 at 16:51 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3190 days, 19 hours, 18 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 at 16:42 (GMT -5)

Well, they may have been based on skaven from warhammer (you can see other warhammer influences in this game also).

Skaven are around the same strength, toughness, and agility as humans, and a bit tougher, but not as agile as elves.
They have strong casters in that game, as good as humans or elves.
They have exceptional movement rate, being the fastest race around.
They also manufacture and use what are arguably the best weapons in that game, and certainly the most exotic.
Their one main weakness is their morale - they have super low willpower and route easily.

DnD translation, first off, I'd recommend 3.5 instead of 4th.
For stat adjustments, I'd say -2 charisma which is the force of will, willpower, and ability to influence others stat in DnD with the other stats at no adjustment (their agility is lower than elves, same as humans, higher than dwarves).
Alternatively, you could go -2 wisdom instead since will saves are based on wisdom, but if you do that, then go -2 wis +2 con, since wis is a more weighted stat than charisma.
There is a ratling/skaven type race already in the oriental adventures 3.5 book which gives -2 wis, +2 con.
They should be small sized with a 40 move, and should have darkvision to 120'.
I'd also give them a +1 racial bonus with exotic weapons similar to what halflings have with slings and gnomes have with xbows.
If you decide to stay with 4th edition (bleh), than replace that bonus (no exotic weapons in 4th) with a once a day ability like turn a hit into a crit 1/day.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 06:44 (GMT -5)

Ratlings in ADOM are definitely not at all like Skaven (who are incidentally my favourite Warhammer race). Maybe influenced in terms of just general look, but I imagine it's more likely that they both share DnD roots.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4969 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 at 02:58 (GMT -5)

These ratlings, they're like rats, right?

Every barehanded melee attack should have a 1dn chance to cause disease, with n decreasing as the number of rotten corpses your ratling has eaten in last 100 turns increases.

They should probably have short lifespans and high sexual drive as well, although not sure how latter would effect gameplay...
Portrait
littlebrather
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

>>and high sexual drive as well, although not sure how latter would effect gameplay...
May be only PC children and grandchildren will close the gates =)
until it sleep
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

Yes, ratlings are like rats and humans are like monkeys. The next time I press "m" while playing a human, I demand a poo flinging attack :P
A realist sees a train.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: