Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Religious Beliefs

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

7838 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 20:13 (GMT -5)

re: Christian Jewish/Palestinian percentage

Do you have an address where you learned that? Or perhaps a book name, or some other reference?

My signature is umop apisdn.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4705 days, 4 hours, 33 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

Re: Islam,
Have you read and studied the Koran, or did you simply do a couple queries on some search engine?

Your quotes are out of context, and nowhere does it say to kill Christians and Jews or start holy wars. The "Unbelievers" were the idolators trying to wipe out the Muslims, at the time. Muhammad is not told to start any wars. He was in a war (for Islam's very survival and outnumbered, as well) Do you know how Islam started?

What does Mary have to do with anything? For one thing, Catholicism does not elevate Mary to the level of God or even Christ. Secondly, the polytheism bit in the Koran is because of Christ worship. "Isa son of Marium" is used because the Muslims do not believe Jesus is the son of God.

Unless you truly try to learn of a religion, how can you judge it?

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 9/20/2002 at 13:29 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Re: God's Plan
I have a disagreement with what you consider to be God's Plan. You seem to claim that God wanted to see if mankind would sin. Such a claim implies that God did not know if mankind would sin or not. Personally, I believe God to be all-knowing, so It already knewthat we would sin.

You also seem to claim that since God does not sin, It needed an intermediary to test mankind. Such a claim implies that there is something that God cannot do. Personally, I believe God to be all-powerful, so It is able to do anything, including testing mankind without sinning.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/20/2002 at 10:46 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 09:40 (GMT -5)

Re Segregation (Compton, etc.)
. . . So you think whites should leave "black" areas? Do you then think that blacks should stay out of "white" areas? You are really starting to worry me DW . . .
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

Re: Israel
You really need to bone up on your current events. With the exception of Eastern Jerusalem, the Palestinians are no longer trying to get the land on which the Israelis are. It is the other way around: At present, the Israelis are trying to get the land on which the Palestinians are, by increasing the size of the settlements in the West Bank and Gaza.

The last peace proposal by the Palestinians left out the Right of Return -- allowing palestinian refugees to return to their former homes, from which they were driven during the creation of Israel -- Do you know anything about the creation of Israel? Or the United States (eviction of the Native Americans) for that matter?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

re: Christian Jewish/Palestinian percentage
You should have written Christian Israeli/Palestinian percentage (Jewish and Israeli are not synonymous)

Do the percentages really matter? Is my right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness dependant on being in the majority?

I learned it from the BBC a couple years ago when I lived in London: Israeli=~2%, Palestinian = ~13% (worldwide), as I recall.

Quick search on the web gave the Israeli %: http://religiousfreedom.lib.virginia.edu/rihand/Israel.html
but it is even more out of date than my info, and I haven't researched the site's validity.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 9/20/2002 at 10:44 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

DW: Please try to keep it to about 20 lines. Learn to phrase things better, or try to get your point across in a different way. I can't bring mytself to read through such massive posts.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/20/2002 at 10:46 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 12:05 (GMT -5)

I guess I am braver than I thought. I have broken the entire Israeli Palestinian thing into a different thread (It has somewhat wandered away from "Religous Beliefs"
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 20, 2002 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

Heck, this entire subject is too long. I am breaking out the two active threads.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6977 days, 3 hours, 50 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 21, 2002 at 01:55 (GMT -5)

Re: Islam
Caladriel: DW misunderstood those quotes... JUST LIKE THE MUSLIM DO. They read it, and understand that they have to fight with "unbelievers". So they do it. Fortunately, not all of them. They believe that if they die in a holy war, they'll go straight to heaven. Many of them are poor, discriminated, frustrated, so they happily blow things up with themselves.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:01 (GMT -5)

re: Islam, I do make an effort to understand it, however consider that a modern Muslim (not one who deeply studies the history or whatnot) might consider that an "unbeliever" could be "one who does not believe the message of Muhammed", in which case could include Jews and Christians in with Pagans and Polytheists.

re: Mary, I've read snippets where Mary was called co-Mediatrix, the term being first used in the 8th century and a nickname, if you will, by the 17th century. I have also heard her called "Queen of Heaven"... to me that sounds as if she sits at the right hand of God. In any case, I refered to Catholicism, because they were the driving force of the expansion of Christianity, and most probably the originating Christian-backbone of Islam

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:13 (GMT -5)

re:God's plan, He IS all-knowing, but he does put people to the test, consider when Abraham was going to sacrifice Issac, and the Angel of the Lord came down and said "...for now I know that you fear God...". God KNEW that Abraham would sacrifice his son, because God told him to, but He had to stop him so that God wouldn't cause Abraham to kill his own son. God knows ahead of time, but he still allows us free will. Consider, to take a concept out of Sliders, each choice causes a million different outcomes. One way I think of it, is that God knows EACH of these outcomes, and He allows us to choose our own path.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

re: God's sinless nature. I feel that it is not that He CANNOT sin, but rather, WILL not sin. To prevent Him from breaking His own laws, He created Satan, who is free to sin at his leisure. When Christ is to return, mankind will be taught 1000 years without us having to worry about Satan. Afterwards, Satan is free one more time, then, when he is no longer needed because all the sinful people will be weeded out, the sin and Satan will be eliminated. Satan is a tool of God, just as the Seraphim, Cherubim, and messanger-angels are tools.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:20 (GMT -5)

re: Segregation. I didn't mean to have it sound that way. I used that as an example, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Okay, better example. Knowing full well that I am straight, I wouldn't willingly walk into a gay bar. Better? I wouldn't walk into a situation where I could get hurt or taken advantage of. That is what I feel the Palestinians are doing, that they still seek the land the Israelis are on.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

re: Israel. What do you think the suicide bombers are fighting for? They want Israel to get out of their lands. When Israel backed out of the west bank, the bombings stopped for a while.

Honestly, I don't remember the last peace proposal by the Palestinians, but I remember one that was by Israel, a while back I believe, that they could have, what was it..., like 75% of the land they wanted, and split Jerusalem in half. Arafat refused, and insisted that they get ALL of Jerusalem, and Arafat refused, and the bombings got worse.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

Forgive my occasional swapping between Israeli, Jew, and Hebrew (something I've tried to fix over the last few years, but still slips through). Your point on the Israeli % stands, however, I would also like a Palestinian % as well.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

re: 20 lines, Okee, I'll eliminate quotes, but only on the assumption you read them, ok? ^_^

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

Guinea: thanks for sticking up for my statement.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

re: origins of Israel, (posted as a second thought), yes, I know a bit about Israel's creation. Nutshelled, Jews from all over wanted a nation of their own, and petitioned the US for a national state. So the US, and various nations in Europe, said "ok, here, take some of this land where Palestine is", so Jews flocked there, and Palestinians were driven out. Those western nations recognized Israel as a nation, and in the meantime, the displaced Palestinians, and the surrounding nations attacked Israel in the 6 Day War (which, IMHO, God had a hand in protecting Israel). I also know that about the same thing happened to Native Americans, but it's been a while since reading anything on it.

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 22, 2002 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

re: origins of Israel, (posted as a second thought), yes, I know a bit about Israel's creation. Nutshelled, Jews from all over wanted a nation of their own, and petitioned the US for a national state. So the US, and various nations in Europe, said "ok, here, take some of this land where Palestine is", so Jews flocked there, and Palestinians were driven out. Those western nations recognized Israel as a nation, and in the meantime, the displaced Palestinians, and the surrounding nations attacked Israel in the 6 Day War (which, IMHO, God had a hand in protecting Israel). I also know that about the same thing happened to Native Americans, but it's been a while since reading anything on it.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 23, 2002 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

DarkWolf: This thread is too long. I had already moved everything you responded to into two separate threads (one on the Israel and Palestine disaster and the other to Religion and all that Jazz)

I have moved your responses over. I'm afraid do so is rather exhausting, though. I don't think I'll follow up in this thread again.

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 9/23/2002 at 13:35 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Go to page 1 2 3 4

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: