Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Starting the game with a smith

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

geg_Ma3gau
Registered user
fighter 5 monk 6 rogue 29

Last page view:

4479 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 at 06:42 (GMT -5)

Hi all!

im a newbie and im interesten in how one would start a game with a smith. choose dwarf? any advice on early strategy with him? i want to descend through the unremarkable dungeon early, after i ve acquired healing skill in VD
anon
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

Dwarf is not the best combo for a smith imo. They just don't add much.

Gnome might be the best choice. Gemology is very useful for a weaponsmith.

Trolls are good as well. They also start with gemology and their regen helps compensate for lack of Healing skill.

Drakelings are Hurthlings are both solid. They both add food preservation(awesome). Drakelings also add Alertness(awesome) and Hurthlings add Archery & Cooking as well as 4 levels in Thrown Rocks(very powerful during the early game), which are all useful.
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4940 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 04:46 (GMT -5)

And orcs add mining - never forget that weaponsmiths do NOT have it! Plus the ever-powerful Find Weakness. Basically, every race can benefit a smith except a dwarf. :) Since you are a newbie, I'd recommend Orcs, or if you want to be a good guy in the VD, Drakelings (since their acid spit is just so unbalanced).
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
geg_Ma3gau
Registered user
fighter 5 monk 6 rogue 29

Last page view:

4479 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate the idea of a gnomish weaponsmith. Mining will grant lots of gems for saccing and other purposes. By the way, guys, is it really possible to complete the game without save scumming? Cant play without saves still.
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

Yes. Seemed impossible to me first too, but I eventually did it. Since this isn't the spoilers forum, I'll just say that a reasonably carefully played gnomish wizard is really easy for that purpose.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4251 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 08:32 (GMT -5)

Maul, weaponsmiths have find weakness already :) Orcs are still a decent race for them though...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

Hmm, then orcs probably aren't all that useful for weaponsmiths compared to dwarves. Still tough anyway.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/7/2009 at 09:09 (GMT -5) by Maul]
anon
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 07, 2009 at 23:54 (GMT -5)

Dwarfs, Gnomes, Orcs and Trolls all have Mining. I'm not sure how critical mining is, though.

Worth mentioning is that Candle starsign completely blows everything else away for classes that start without healing and without herbalism. Candle is even more important for smiths, because it enables you to dive the UD for forges straightaway. An early game forge allows you to melt down your extra iron equipment and smith up your kit and weapon a bit.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4709 days, 14 hours, 30 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

FYI, I am pretty sure that starting skills "stack" to the extent that if your class and race both have a skill, you will start out more proficient than it would be otherwise. This can help early in the game.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4080 days, 20 hours, 51 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 14:08 (GMT -5)

High elf.

I'm serious. Check out the skillset you end up with. And since you get Concentration, good Mana only adds options. You always get at least 17 strength too.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/27/2009 at 14:08 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4251 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 at 00:51 (GMT -5)

What does a high elf add for skills? Dodge is just pathetic, literacy has a decent chance of happening anyway. Most other races have much more to offer skillswise, and better survival stats too. Arguably gnomes have better spellcasting stats with Gemology.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4162 days, 1 hour, 25 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

hurthling. Especially if you go through answers and choose answers with negative strength modifiers...
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Mi Hai Loo
Registered user
Demented kobold

Last page view:

5392 days, 4 hours, 21 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 06, 2009 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

Wow. I managed to run gnomish smith - my first working smith at all. I tried it before, but they all died.
This smith died, too, but managed to raise his DV/PV to 102/45 - not bad for 15 lvl character. Still, too bad for character who spent about 45 days digging and smithing...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: