Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / cheating

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Gareth
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 at 15:01 (GMT -5)

Try starting cheat o matic and read what u should do...
RamuPL
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 at 22:37 (GMT -5)

Its extremely simple once you get the hang of it. Lets say you want to make yourself Level 50. You kill one monster, start Cheat-o-Matic, and put your current experience value in there and search. Then you kill another and repeat. It usually takes 3-4 tries and gets the memory location, and then you can put any value you want. You can cheat in levels the same way (you would need to open two cheat-o-matics at the same time for level scumming)... and then its mostly anything can imagine, basically any number that changes can be manipulated. by 'locking' HP and MP at high values say 3000 you can wish indefinitely, just when ur stats grow too less you can scum lvl 50 for bards and get them back to 99...
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

You realize that cheating makes the game incredibly entertaining and enjoyable? Are you sure that you want to enjoy the wonders of killing those otherwise so very dangerous orcs and rats with your immortal character? Getting so much fun out of a game can make you highly addicted to it...

I think cheating is great for everybody. Everybody who wants to make boring games like ADOM at least slightly interesting should cheat in as many ways as possible. It certainly does not ruin your playing experience so don't believe others who might think cheating is bad.

In fact, the reason that Thomas Biskup himself didn't put build-in cheats to ADOM is that he isn't a very good programmer and cannot create cheats. Neither did he remove some cheating possibilities(duping with levels, arrow duping bug) because of improving others' fun but he did it accidentally.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
RamuPL
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

I think you forgot [sarcasm][/sarcasm].

Anyways, if it werent for cheating I would never have seen a major part of this game or any of the advanced character skills.

I do agree that building a character is quite interesting, but they are a lot of unknowns and none of my characters have survived for very long, and died mostly due to lapses in concentration.

So though I can create immortal characters, they only reason I keep playing is that someday I will complete the game fair ;) and the fact that the game is strangely addictive with great replay value. (Better than Diablo & Baldurs Gate).
Elethiomel
Registered user

Last page view:

7676 days, 23 hours, 13 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

The main reason why I think these kinds of games (roguelikes, and for me, especially ADOM) are better and/or more addictive than the big graphical games like the Infinity Engine or Diablo series, is that my imagination is better by far than any of the graphical effects in those games. ADOM et. al. are more immersive for me, simply because they allow me to see what's in my imagination, instead of what some game artist forces me to see.

On the issue of cheating (why not be a little on topic, too?), the only cheating I indulge in is save-scumming. It lets me learn quicker than the 'create character -> die on early level -> repeat' process would. I'm gradually sliding into characters who do less and less of this savescumming, and I play the occasional 'proper' character. Normally these die before/at the water temple, so I have a ways to go yet.
Mewto
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 at 05:12 (GMT -5)

How? i went into the folder where I've istalled it but the files are all with that windows flag.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 19 hours, 12 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 28, 2002 at 07:49 (GMT -5)

Your saved games are in the adom_dat\savedg folder.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
ABCGi
Registered user
Atomic Bacterial Chemical

Last page view:

7617 days, 17 hours and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2002 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

As for getting a character of a high level without cheating: Head to the ID with a character that levels up ok (ie not a Troll!) and can appraise/idstatus items. Play it safe with speed and use the stairs to avoid nasty monsters. Don't go deeper than your PC can handle and stay fed. Easy way to get plenty of equipment and levels.

Eventually you'll want to leave and go find altars and shops, but quite likely you'll reduce early deaths in XP levels 1 to 10 this way.

Spoiler
Not really a spoiler but just in case. In the ID stand on a stairway and just go up and down constantly, picking up any items in viewable range. Eventually you'll be fully equiped.

……ABCGi

Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 at 05:03 (GMT -5)

How do u pple save scum? I die so often at early levels it's killing me. I wanna at least try to reach D50 or something....help? Please?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 19 hours, 47 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

When you save a PC_name.sav file is generated in Adom_dat\savedg\
Copy the save file somewere, and if you die, copy it back.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Prickle Pear
Registered user
Killer fruit

Last page view:

7198 days, 17 hours, 28 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 28, 2002 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

Yep, I'm going to try a UCGE without saving my .sav file on the last lvl. C has done this sucessfuly like a hurthling doesn't take (bleep) risks, only does (like with Florine) immortals, that was one lucky char. she sent me the .flg.
The new and improved MTV...my ass! Where's Bevis & Butthead?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/28/2002 at 13:16 (GMT -5) by Prickle Pear]
lifeless wanker
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 at 21:19 (GMT -5)

Ohhh cheating is no fun. =) adom1.1.1 has niiiice anti-cheat scheme with crc-checks even in tmp-files, but behold=> with runtime memory editor i've managed to alter health, mana, statistics, experience, item numbers & item types, maybe smtg else, can't remember. when i found out of the improved crc-check i just _had_ to get around it =) life is so much worse now that i did. at least i'll get to experiment with (=foul) adom runtime variables to no end.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: