Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Any other Christians?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7350 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 28, 2002 at 18:24 (GMT -5)

I just wondered if any other Christians played Adom? :) I assume most who play aren't however...

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 5 hours, 24 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

*raises hand*
Me! Me! :)

You're not the only one.... ADOM attracts Christians of all sorts, except of course for fundamentalist freaks, who mostly think RPGs are Of The Devil (like dancing and playing cards, apparently...)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 29, 2002 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

Cool! I love rpgs! and fantasy and sci fi...who said christians were boring is dumb...lol...last time I asked this in this forum I was flamed and called an ignorant bible-thumping baptist. How rude...heh...:) I think that guy is gone now tho

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 at 13:57 (GMT -5)

Here we go again . . .

:-)

BTW, Tekki, Did you really feel you were being flamed last time? I thought it was a good discussion.

Iridia, I'm sorry you missed that one. Jan, I don't suppose you have any of the old forums' threads archived anywhere?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 11 hours, 33 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 02, 2002 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

All the "old" threads are still here, you just have to go back a couple of pages (realy need to get that search function implemented one of these days)...

As for the old forum (the one at eesite.com), is still there for "historical" purposes, but that one only keeps the last 100 threads in each forum.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 03, 2002 at 21:06 (GMT -5)

Yes Calad, not by you...but you don't remember the guy who accused me of being everything from a fascist to a fanatical oppressionist? I don't think I've ever been insulted that many times in one post...

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 04, 2002 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

I'm familiar with the phenomenon. :) Though here, the reception was a bit kinder--about three weeks after I first came to the forums, there was a huge debate about all things religious... what fun! :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 04, 2002 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

oy...that can be deadly...I enjoy tolerating but not approving of other religions :) so many people take that the wrong way.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 at 01:34 (GMT -5)

Exactly. "I think I'm right" shouldn't mean "I'm going to flame you because I think you're wrong"... if no one could agree to disagree, then we'd all be terrorists to one degree or another.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lazy Cal
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 at 16:15 (GMT -5)

Tekki: Probably because "disapproving of" has a stronger implication of moral judgment than "not believing in" or "disagreeing with."

Heh, if somebody ever tells you they disapprove of your country (or your boy/girlfriend, or your clothes, etc.), feel free to feel insulted.
Portrait
Ragnarok
Registered user
Cat

Last page view:

7936 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 at 12:20 (GMT -5)

Being non-religious, I believe that everyone except me is wrong. Now that's the way to think. But actually, I don't mind religion, as long as NO ONE PREACHES IT TO ME. There's a guy in my school who became religious, and he just harrases everyone who isn't religious. he talks about saving our souls and fighting off the devil. If you aren't a christian, since we have foreign students in school, he tells them they are going to go to hell for worshipping the wrong god. Now that's a nutcase.

Also I don't like the christians who say things like D&D is satanic, working on Sunday is satanic, not going to church is satanic, eating rice cakes is satanic, etc. Basically people who force their beliefs on you. That's violating my freedom.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 at 15:28 (GMT -5)

Rice cakes?!!
Okay, whatever...

The religious guy in your school probably thinks he's doing the right thing... problem is, he doesn't realize you have to have tact when you tell somebody they're wrong. He's not the average Christian, that's for sure... the average Christian is often hiding, not even telling anyone what they believe, because they're afraid they'll be unpopular for it.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Ben
Registered user
Holy Warrior

Last page view:

7617 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 17, 2002 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

Well, I love ADOM and I am also a Christian. Good to know I'm not the only one then!

May thy widom be omnipresent!
Lazy Cal
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

Iridia: Actually, I have found that the average Christian is happy to talk about religion. Same with the average Hindu and Jew. I seem to have problems learning from the average Budhist or Wiccan, though. Now a days, the average muslim seem to be the sensitive one.

Ragnarok: IMHO, people who go out of their way to make you aware of their religous beliefs are probably over compensating for their insecurity about those beliefs, particularly if they emphasize what is wrong about others. The only way such a person can feel confidant s/he right is by convincing others that they are wrong.

BTW, you forgot about the people who think Harry Patter is Satanic.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 7/18/2002 at 12:49 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Ragnarok
Registered user
Cat

Last page view:

7936 days, 7 hours, 10 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 18, 2002 at 21:17 (GMT -5)

Yeah, those people are all nutcases. But we're all normal here right???

o_O
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 at 02:00 (GMT -5)

What's normal? j/k :D

Well, if it means someone who doesn't have a large stockpile of weapons and/or a 50-pound big black Bible, then I'm as normal as they come...

...on the other hand, insanity is fun sometimes, no?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6975 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 23, 2002 at 03:07 (GMT -5)

If normal means sitting half of a day in front of my PC and writing stupid posts on forums and playing cRPG game without graphics or some earlier parts of HoMM series, and spending second half of the day reading books (mainly fantasy) written in language that isn't my native one, I'm absolutely normal.

If you understood this sentence, you're smarter than "normal". :-)

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

7837 days, 8 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

I'm a Christian. And as far as I'm concerned, you
believe what you want, I'll believe what I want, and we'll all have fun playing Adom. ^_^

My signature is umop apisdn.
Portrait
Archangel
Registered user
The Creator's servant

Last page view:

7363 days, 1 hour, 36 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 20, 2002 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

I agree with DarkWolf. Believe what you want, I'm gonna play some ADOM...

And about average christian hiding... maybe true, sadly. Think about it: Isn't that one of the most corageous things to do? To say that I believe although majority of people will probably say you're wrong and ignore you?

I hereby announce that I am more than willing to kill anyone who dares to cross my way

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/20/2002 at 17:05 (GMT -5) by Archangel]
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 at 16:52 (GMT -5)

Archangel : On top of Inviso-Christians (the hiding-kind), there's those "7th day Christians" (not to be confused with 7th Day Adventists), those who pull the worst crap off during the week (stuff unbefitting a Christian, let alone a moral/sane person), then go to church on Sunday and act the little angel.

Ragnarok : With a little research, you'll find out why many Christians say what they say. You'll find yourself "better armed" in a conversation if you learn why Christians do what we do.

Lazy Cal : I could start a HUGE discussion over HP... but I wanna keep the peace 'round here.

Portrait
Archangel
Registered user
The Creator's servant

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 at 17:16 (GMT -5)

DarkWolf: That's exactly what I meant. There are are rather few of those who show their faith in their everyday life. And by that I don't mean preaching but acting like a christian. Being friendly, ready to help those who need help, etc.

I hereby announce that I am more than willing to kill anyone who dares to cross my way
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 at 17:41 (GMT -5)

Ya know how I consider it. Each time someone comes up to me and insults me, or demeans my beliefs, just 'cuz I'm Christian, I consider that empowerment... Preaching only works on those who want to be preached to... but a kind word and kind deed furthers the Christian cause much more than what any preaching could do.

Sort of a "sticks and stones may break my bones, but would you like to share my sandwich", sorta belief, I guess.

Portrait
Archangel
Registered user
The Creator's servant

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 26, 2002 at 19:44 (GMT -5)

Amen to that, DW. Being nice to people who insult you leaves them pretty "disarmed".

"The Christian friend disarms you. You drop your insulting tongue (+0, 10d10-100). You are stunned by the force of the attack!" :)

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 at 12:51 (GMT -5)

The Hot-Headed-Insulter becomes enraged and unleashes his Insult of Death!"

"You feel a wave of insults headed toward you. You regain 124 HP."

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4703 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

DarkWolf: I'd love to hear your bit on Harry Potter. Perhaps in another thread? (since it's a tad off topic)

Re: 7th day Christians
Personally, I've found that most people, with whom I interact personally, act in a relatively Christian manner, regardless of their beliefs and regardless of the day of the week -- relative to me, that is -- Nobody's perfect, of course, but I think it is very dangerous to consider that somebody else acts in a less Christian manner than I. There are exceptions, of course (IMHO, I act in a more Christian manner than the people who organized the rape camps in Bosnia) but such exceptions are rather extreme, and rarely encountered directly.
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2002 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

Caladriel: What I mean by 7th Day Christians, is that they are the antithesis of the definition of a Christian (ie, an adulterer, a habitual liar, one who harms children, etc) a majority of the time, but when it comes their day for Church, THEY are the ones who sing the loudest, pray with the most words, and do their Hallelujahs more vividly than the rest of the Church.

Certainly no one is perfect, but what I mean, more specifically, are the ones who act like the Pharisees... the hypocrites...

Perfect example of 7th Day Christians are the Catholic priests (and forgive me if any of you are Catholic), who molest kids (particularly little boys) yet continue to preach. Or gay Christians (forgive me if any of you are gay, I'm talking about the noisy ones, not the silent kind), that blast their gay pride down everyone's throat, yet make excuses for "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." Leviticus 18:22.

Everyone sins, but its the Christians who make excuses for their sins, or knows that they are sins, yet continues to do them with little concern, as opposed to trying to correct them, that earns them my label of "7th day Christians"

HP a tad off topic? Nah, whole 'nuther thread, I think, but sure. :)

Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6975 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

Exactly. Some Catholic priests do such things... and they are not kicked out. In Poland we have a Catholic radio, in which there are political speeches and prayers. They are accusing the left side of Polish political scene to be communists (no communists here for 20 years), godless and such things. I ask you: why should I go to church, if in homilia I'll hear the priest talking about politics?

DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

Well... first off, that's Catholicism (I don't wish to offend any Catholics here), but Catholicism is less based off true Christianity, as opposed to the assimilation of other belief systems into the Catholic church. Many saints are pagan gods, reworked into sounding Christian, and many festivals were pagan festivals, but placed under a Christian theme. Jeremiah 10:2 reads "Thus says the Lord, "Do not learn the way of the nations, And do not be terrified by the signs of the heavens Although the nations are terrified by them;""

The Catholic church has taken pagan beliefs, rituals, and festivals, and "Christianized" them, such as the usage of candles and incense, the concept of transubstantiation, holidays such as Lent, Ash Wednesday, Christmas, and Easter, the raising of Mary to the status of co-Mediatrix, and has taken unbiblical stances, such as forced celibacy, bowing to statues of saints, and the inverted cross (which usually now-a-days represents Satanism) which they claim represents the way Peter was crucified.

Is it any wonder, knowing what they do is unbiblical, that it is so easy to fall into a trap of sin as the way the Catholic Clergy does?

As far as politics are concerned, that's just one church who still lingers in "this world". Christians as a whole are stuck in this world, but we must try to be not of it... it's worries and concerns, the need to keep up with the Joneses, and whatnot.

I don't think I've heard the word homilia before... what does it mean?

If you are interested in learning, find a church that avoids matters of this world, such as political quibbles or "Donate so we can plate the stairwell with gold". Personally, I don't go to a church, because I feel few follow the way that Jesus teaches, and even less are in the backwoods area I'm in. However, reading the Bible and asking questions from those who know are a good way to get started learning.

Lazy Cal
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 30, 2002 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

Darkwolf: Any chance of keeping responses to 20 lines?

Re: 7th day Christians.
I still think it is dangerous to think that one can judge another's guilt.

Also, IMHO, one should be careful about claiming one doesn't make excuses for one's own sins, or judging those who do. Which is worse: Somebody who convinces themself that they are not sinning, or somebody who has full knowledge and acceptance that an act is wrong, but does it anyway?
DarkWolf
Registered user
The Ravager

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 01, 2002 at 21:18 (GMT -5)

You are right about judging. My problem is with the hypocrites... It might be just me, but I try to continually change; getting rid of the "customary" sins (the ones a person does out of habit), and trying to learn of any "unconscious" sins (those that a person doesn't even know are wrong).

And sin is still sin, regardless of form.

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: