Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Religion and all that Jazz

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
calvin
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

yeah, free will is an illusion i agree with you. but thats no reason to beleive souls exist, but i guess it would be comforting to know you do have a choice with a soul.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4697 days, 13 hours, 50 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

Lobster: I think you can control if you even feel jealous.

I haven't worked with jealousy, but I have worked with anger, hate, like and love. I actually can choose to feel those or not. With hunger, I can ignore it, but I do stay (and continue to feel) hungry.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 at 19:32 (GMT -5)

Calvin: Do you ever get angry or upset with people? IMHO, it makes no sense to be angry with somebody who has no choice.

If a fellow gets pushed off a wall, and lands on me, thus breaking my legs, I will not be angry at the person who was pushed, since s/he had no choice. Rather, I will be angry at the whoever did the pushing.

However, if a person jumps off a wall and breaks my legs, I might very well get angry at them, depending on why the chose to jump off the wall.
calvin
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 00:31 (GMT -5)

it also doesnt make sense to get mad at your car or your computer for not working and freezing all of the time, but people do it everyday. weather we have free will or not it doesnt make sense to get angry because it really doesnt solve anything. its just a natural reation beacuse the thing that we are getting mad at is threatening our survival in some way.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 09:14 (GMT -5)

Do you get angry at your car or computer (or a rock that lands on your foot)? I actually don't but I do feel angry at those who committed the atrocities in the Bosnian war (and people who drop McDonald's bags on the sidewalks even when there is a trash can 10 feet away)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/27/2002 at 09:16 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

7311 days, 13 hours, 34 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 16:59 (GMT -5)

Emotions can be controlled if you apply enough logical thought to it. If you think deeply about the fundamental concepts behind the reasons of getting upset, like Calvin gave an example of, you can learn to simply overlook them.

LS
calvin
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

well said luke, thats how i killed my conscience.
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7709 days, 16 hours, 38 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

One can apply all the logic one wants to *controlling* one's emotional response, but the key word here is *control*... You can't stop yourself from feeling (at least if you're alive, anyway!). Yes even anger at the poor rock that just fell on my foot. Or the computer that froze and lost all my hours of work. Am I angry at these things? No. Probably just myself. Could have moved out of the way, saved more often, etc.

You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

So is anger needed to apply emphasis on our mistakes so we are more likely to be more aware/safe for the next time?

LS
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 09:47 (GMT -5)

All of the emotions are needed to keep balance in ones life. Even the "Bad" ones, like anger, hate, jealousy, greed can provide neccesary help to ones mental and physical well-being, so long as they are taken in proper context and not allowed to overtake ones life. You can't be angry at everything all the time. Same goes for the "Good" emotions. You can't be happy with everything all the time.
Sorry, this this may be getting us off the topic at hand. Suppose I should start off a new thread...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/3/2002 at 09:52 (GMT -5) by SuperLobster]
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, no I'll just take us to a convinient diversion.
Since there are a few certain believers here maybe they can tell us if God himself feels emotions such as anger, happiness etc?

LS
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

Luke: IMHO, God can feel any emotion, and probably does feel most of them.

A little fuel for this fire: I don't think any emotion is "bad." I think trouble arises from directing certain emotions at people or things who don't deserve to have such emotions directed at them. Trouble can also occur, depending on how people react to their emotions.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/5/2002 at 16:08 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

Exactly, which is why I placed them in quotes, just trying to group them to the commonly held conceptions of "Good" vs. "Bad". Love can be a "bad" emotion, if, for example one "loves" hurting others. Just as Anger can be a "Good" emotion if one is angry with the treatment of the environment. It's all in how one reacts to and controls the emotions one experiences if life.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

Agreed, but some emotions are rendered bad no matter what. In the light Jedi religion there are no emotions, only peace. Anger especially is completely forbidden - and yes the Jedi is officially a religion.

LS
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

6119 days, 20 hours, 39 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 at 14:49 (GMT -5)

Jedi IS officially a religion. That was new to me.

I think so toothat people need to feel all emotions. Yes, the good and the bad.
If you always hide your bad feelings well you became badly neurotic. I think it is rare for a human to feel only peace. It possible, but is it a life worth living?

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."
Portrait
Damon
Registered user

Last page view:

7736 days, 1 hour, 11 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

I wouldn't say so, but then again emotions can drive some to the brink of suicide. I guess a healthy balance is needed but one cannot always hope to achieve full control over what they feel.
A Jedi must be pretty devoted to thier cult.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 at 19:00 (GMT -5)

Mishka: But what do you think is a bad emotion?

Luke: Jedi got a its own categorization on the census because so many people put it down (brilliant!! :-D ) but it is not official in the sense that the British gov't recognizes it or gives it any tax exempt status, etc.
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 at 02:08 (GMT -5)

Caladriel: I just used the word 'bad', but I couldn't really say what emotion would be 'bad'. If one emotion gets too manipulative control of one's personality, that's bad emotion, I think.

Damon: yes, sometimes being neurotic can save your life, which is the case in most of neurtic people. But they have to work it over later, still.

Emotions are important to people, but funnily so is the need to be 'neurotic' too. Some emotions just are too much to handle at certain points in life.

"Faugh!" snorted Tahngarth. "Why would it make a meal out of something like you?" Squee looked relieved. "No," he continued, "you'd make a much better toothpick."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/10/2002 at 02:18 (GMT -5) by Mishka]
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 at 02:23 (GMT -5)

You were disgussing anger earlier.
I think that it's very important to be angry at sometimes. Maybe because I envy a bit you who feel angry. I don't get angry at any point. I might sometimes fake that I would be angry, but I really aren't capable to feel or show that emotion. I guess it's my little neurotic character.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, Mishka your not missing out on much. Anger makes you feel very fustrated and stressed out. It usually happens to me when I fail at something important and makes me feel useless. Sometimes I get angry at something else which I blame but inside I know I'm angry at myself.
All negative emotions in my opinion wouldn't exist in utopia.

LS
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

Luke: Still I'd say anger too is relatively important emotion. I get frustrated and stressed out 'cause I don't get angry. See, there are times when a person just should be angry, not just be cool and say 'it happens... I seem to make other people raging for being ok with everything.
I think that without 'negative' emotions there would be no 'positive' emotions either.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

Or would they just be harder to distinguish or define without a comparision?

LS
Portrait
Mishka
Registered user
Hopeless

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 01:42 (GMT -5)

Got me lost there, Luke.

Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 04:26 (GMT -5)

Often with most things in life, it's easier to recognise and label something if they have an extreme opposite.
It's easy to define evil for example because you can compare it to good and notice the difference. But without good would evil exist, or would it just be normal standard and not seen as anything really significant.

LS
Portrait
Luke
Registered user
Apprentice

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

I think that postive emotions would lose it's defination if negative emotions didn't exist, as they'd be nothing to make it postive without comparing it to negative. Instead the standards would shift and positive would become normal.

I've heard many people say one cannot exist without the other, but is this literal or just based on defination?

LS
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

You would just be plain old "Happy" most days, with a few "Ecstaticly Euphoric" on others...

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

This thread is too long. Besides, we are off topic, and the Religion thread is makes this one obsolete. I am breaking this out into an Emotions thread.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/12/2002 at 18:27 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Go to page 1 2 3 4

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: