Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / A thought provoking idea

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1657 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 06:35 (GMT -5)

Here's a thought provoking idea about the Cyclops'. They are being misrepresented as bufoons. Who said that the Cyclops' were unintelligent? Just because they have one eye, does that make them some how inferior? I only have one (working) eye. Does that make me inferior. Just because the Cyclops' were a nomadic people that never settled in one place and thus did not have time for science and were thus due to eventually pass on; does that give us the right to call them unintelligent savages. This could be linked to how the colonists considered the Indians to be savages. What do you think?

RKade

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 7 hours, 15 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Well nearly ALL the giant races are portraied as stupid brutes in most fantasy/legend material, much the same way as big (muscular) people are usualy "cast" as the dumb brutes.

I think it's more a matter of the more muscle = less brain power equation, and giants (alng with ogres and what not) have lots of mucle (compared to humans)...

I don't think it's an eye thing. Heavy set people ought to take more offence than you regarding the "treatment" of the giant races in most fanatasy material...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

considering that I weigh about 300 lbs. (BIG appetite)

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 12 hours, 16 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 at 00:42 (GMT -5)

LOL... :)

Is it possible that maybe giants (or 250 pound, all muscle football jocks for that matter) are "stupid" simply because they've always gotten what they wanted out of life because of their superior size and strength, and thus never had reason to exercise their brains?

Whoa, that was a long sentence.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 02, 2002 at 00:54 (GMT -5)

Football jock my ass. I'm almost entirely blind. I've also been screwed by the government since I started kindergarden. I'm currently getting screwed out of a higher education due to the fact that I haven't been able to get my SSI for about a year. I was supposed to go to a blind school that teaches undependant living skills.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 16:24 (GMT -5)

hey... no offense... I didn't mean YOU... i just meant your basic stereotypical football jock...

Forget the government... they never give you anything, at least not for free.

At the moment I'm in college, despite that my mom's income is less than $5000 a year... I have to work my way through, but it's tough. So I have several government loans, and boy do they hang over my head!

Depending on how much your particular school costs, maybe you could either work a year, or get a loan?... You don't necessarily have to go for jobs where you stand up 8 hours a day, because that's tough... After college, when you can get a decent job 'cause you have a degree, then you can pay off any loans you have...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/3/2002 at 16:29 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

Wull, SSI is supposed to pay for my school. Basically, some blind people cought some apartments in San Pablo to teach other blind people how to live independantly. It's not really a school but that's how it's classified. Anyhoo, I can't go down there until I get my SSI and the govt. has been delaying me and putting me on the back burner since March of 2001. I'm currently playing the waiting game at my parents house. Because of my tripped out sleeping cycle, I have no social life (except you guys) until I go to San Pablo. Sleep all day; ADOM all night (or vice-verce) It gets boring.

Why don't you go out?
No money and my eyes are EXTREMELY sensitive to light

Why don't you talk on the phone?
I don't know anybody (No friends in high school)

So, you must be pretty introverted and geek-like.
No. I'm very extroverted. I just try to hard to be liked. I'm no geek. I'M A FREAK!!

BTW this is probobly somewhat disturbing but I felt I should get this out. I like to talk about myself (unfortunately one of my biggest downfalls.)

My ambition is to be a radio personality (the way I whine and b**** I could be the next Howard Stern.) When I get to the "school" I'm going to enroll in radio classes at the local college.

I hope you all have enjoyed this journey into my WaRpEd MiNd!.!.

Please add to my story (like the stone giant thing.) It could be great if it gets off the ground.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 17:15 (GMT -5)

As you can probably tell, I'm getting cabin fever. I can't go anywhere until it cools down and it stops being so bright. Thank God that I'm going to San Pablo (near San Francisco)

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

Winter's coming. Take heart.

Besides... you're not the only one who's nocturnal. Whenever I get the chance, I shift my sleep cycle so that I go to bed around 10 a.m. Who wants to go out in broad, blazing daylight anyway? :) I had a night job last summer... loved it... now I've got to go to class at 10 a.m.-- ugggh. Nobody should have to do physics at that early hour!

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

Indeed it is. Until it does though, It's good to know I have people to talk to.

Physics at bedtime. NOOOOOOO!!!

I live in Sacramento. 112 degree weather. Blazing indeed.

Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6971 days, 21 hours, 10 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 at 01:08 (GMT -5)

You too? If I could, I'd go to sleep at 5-6 o'clock in the evening, wake up in the middle of the night, anduse computer until the sunrise :)

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 at 05:13 (GMT -5)

I'm defenently a night person too, if I don't watch it I frequently find myself in front of the computer at 3-4 in the night, wich kinda suck when you have to get up at 7 in the morning to go to work :-/

112°? I hope that's Farenheit :)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 04, 2002 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

Yes it's Farenheit *)

Now I have another problem. I'm now forced to wake up at 7:00 AM I guess I'm starting to get a life. Problem is, I still can't get out of the house so I'm stuck in here.

If anuone has Yahoo IM, You should IM me. Felios (feliox?) and myself had an hour long talk about how bad I am at ADOM.

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 05, 2002 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

Too bad you are not like me then... I usualy sit inside in front of my computer (or the TV) most of the day by choice (what would I do outside anyway?).

I rarely use chats and IM's because I still only have a dial up connection from home (and the phone bill is bad enough as it is because of my other net activities), and from work I have to be ready to answer the phone on a seconds warning (actualy it's set to "auto answer") so I would keep loosign the thread in the conversation when I get "interupted" by a custumer, and I don't want to install to much "crap" on these computers... I could get a MSN messenger acount though I guess...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

What would you do outside, Jan? Shame on you! There are sooo many good books out there... :)

Okay, okay, so reading is kind of a couch potato thing to do tooo... but at least this way, you'd get a tan!

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 01:29 (GMT -5)

Yes, reading rulez! But what could I do outside anyway - just go, buy a book, come back, and forget about the whole world while reading. My other activities are very similar to Jan's: PC and TV :). Unfortunately, usually there isn't anything worth watching on TV :P.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 03:04 (GMT -5)

You people are mindless tv freaks and you are wasting your lives.

It's good to know there are people that I can relate to.

Outside? Ugh!! I can't take the light or the heat. I LOVE books though. Terry Brooks is a good writer (Think american Tolkien.)

Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 05:07 (GMT -5)

Yep, we spend all days in front of our computers/TV sets, and we play computer games that don't have graphics. We're total freaks :) .

My favourite authors:
JRR Tolkien of course :)
George RR Martin - Songs of Fire and Ice series
Terry Pratchett - Discworld series
Andrzej Sapkowski - you probably don't know the name, he's the best Polish fantasy author.

Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 05:25 (GMT -5)

See, and here I thought I was the only one.

eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7187 days, 10 hours, 44 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

Actually, I live in Russia, but i got to United Arab Emirates for 3(!!!) years, 'coz of my dad's work. Just imagine, when someone comes and tells you "it's gettin' better outside - just 40C"! Yep, i'd been to Kuwait, and some people say, that you could even make omlette on roof of your car in 1996 summer.
So what shall i do outside, if in Russia the MOST hot summer i remember was 36C in average, and in Kuwait it was 45!! And here it's about 40! Damned Arab countries, how did people get here??!!
PS but i'm also wondering how did people get to Russia! ;))
It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 13:36 (GMT -5)

Russia? Lucky. I wish it was that cold here.

eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

nope, you don't :))
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 06, 2002 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

I sleep with my room temperature at 30 degrees farenhiet. I enjoy weather under 50 degrees farenhiet. My dad was born in Alaska. I wear a shirt and shorts in the snow. Trust me. I could take it.

eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

you are a real Russian :)))))))
30 F = ? C... :-/
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

Nope. I'm a real Californian who likes real cold weather. The colder the better. BRING IT ON!!! *)

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

30 F° = -1.1111111 C°, that's literaly freezing man! Are you serious? your average refridgerator keeps about 5 C° (41 F°), heck our cold storage room is warmer than that, you must have a huge electricity bill to maintain that room temperatute in Califirnia... I like a cool room when I'm going to sleep myself, but that sound a bit extreme.

No wonder you can't stand going outside, your body would literaly go into shock from the drastic temperature change!

Maybe you could borrow Mr. Freez'es suit from that Batman movie j/k ;-)

Personaly I preffer "regular" room temerature (or slightly below), and I hate to wake up to a cold room because my Wi si to low to leave the warm bed untill I abselutely have to (usualy 10 minutes before I have to be at work ;)), and too warm is even worse because then I get soaked in sweat no matter what I do...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 10/7/2002 at 13:42 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 07, 2002 at 23:26 (GMT -5)

Temperature in northern California ranges from 30^F (I've seen it happen in winter a few times) to 115^F (especially this summer) In the early morning in December, I had to wait for my bus to get to school. It was 30^F. Trust me. I could take it.

Portrait
Archangel
Registered user
The Creator's servant

Last page view:

7359 days, 8 hours, 28 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 at 07:38 (GMT -5)

Statistics:

Im right here in Finland. In the mornings (about 8am) when I go to school, the temperature is about 2-3C.

When I come back (about 5pm), 5-10C.

I think the average temperature when the winter arrives will be -15-20C.

Im also very tolerant when considering temperatures. BTW, the minus temperature record in Finland is way over -50C. Could you take that??:) AFAIK -50C is so cold, that if you throw away a bucket of water, it will freeze to ice pearls before it hits the ground. (Haven't tested though:))

I hereby announce that I am more than willing to kill anyone who dares to cross my way
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

I've never been in weather THAT cold (Though 30^F is freezing) the coldest I've ever been in was 13^F (Tahoe in the winter.)

Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 08, 2002 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

Archangel: it would be hard to test. The only solution seems to be throw away the bucket through the open window, otherwise the water can freeze before you'll pour it (and your hand can freeze to the handle of the bucket :)))

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: