Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / ADOM 2 What new do you want?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7193 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 00:28 (GMT -5)

what is your vision of ADOM 2.0.0 (or, to be more precise, adom 2.0.1, 2.0.0 will be an unplayable buggy test version ;)).

imho, the plot should have to do something with sealing CoC with a huge fortress in the mountains(yes, i HAVE seen LoTR III (speaking of Gondor ;))). IMHO it'd be rather kewl ;)

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7290 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 00:35 (GMT -5)

Well,there aren't too many major bugs,but I still hope they get fixed.

And I think TB should implement more realistic,logical,whatever stuff,such as feeding a monster a poisoned food will kill them.What?It's logical enough. <:(

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5034 days, 14 hours, 1 minute and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 04:34 (GMT -5)

well... eating corpses of monsters you poisoned also poisons you, lol

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7193 days, 18 hours, 17 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

and what if you eat a poisoned corpse of a creature, that poisoned you before, after you have poisoned it, suffering from it's poison? That is the stupidest thing i've ever wrote on these forums, so it's worth quoting!

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Achillies
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7412 days, 5 hours, 36 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 17:00 (GMT -5)

Have a few more quests that have nothing to do with winning the game. Have a castle or something that houses some sort evil that terrorizes a village. Or mabey something extra that will challenge someone even after "winning."

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!".....Phoebus Apollo
Jelly Cube
Registered user
Ur Friendly Neiborhood Dessert

Last page view:

7110 days, 5 hours, 36 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

The ability to control multiple characters at the same time, in the same game. Like a party of adventurers.

I dedicate my life to you, Katie Durkin.
My sword as well, is dedicated.
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

7405 days, 18 hours, 55 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 21:54 (GMT -5)

• I think unlimited spell usage would be nice so
    when you read a book you've learnt the spell forever(sort of a one time use)
  • Be able to load your game from where you last saved it when you die
  • Get rid of the whole identification thing because having to identify everything before using it can be very annoying like you can take a risk with potions and you might acidentially drink a potion of poison
  • In the bar where it says your name, attributes and allignment have a picture of your characters face like in Warcraft 3 and be able to design your charcter's physical features like in Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3, 4 and Underground so you could choose things like hair/eye colour, skin colour/complexion, height/weight and have accesories like facial hair or earings or even tatoos....Of course this might be hard being a DOS game but I think Thomas Biskup could do 2D pictures or make you draw them then insert them like in this forum most people have a picture next to thier name.
  • Upgrade the forging skill so you can create your own weapons from metal ores, melt any metal object into a ore like lv 6 weaponsmiths and be able to make items rust proof like the dwarfen weaponsmith in Dwarf Town
  • Remove the skills appraising and law because they are useless
  • Better level designs like I was impressed with the Tower of Eternal Flames, The Underwater Cave, The SIL and The Emperor Molochs lair but all the other temples water,earth,air and mana were crap and the ice level D:49 was very unimspired so was D:50 well(I guess the Chaos plane was ok)but still you get my point
  • Have only essential NPC's in towns like Terinyo and Dwarf Town because all the towns folke and drawfs get in the way when you try to walk from one side of the town to the other
  • Change the Infinite Dungeon so that it only has 100 levels and have a reward when you get to the bottom like meeting the NPC Thomas Biskup(You can look him up in the Monster Memory) and have the ultimate battle or he becomes your companion like hawkslayer but only better

P.S Jelly Cube I appologised to you isn't that enough?

"Such is life" - Ned Kelly

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/18/2004 at 21:55 (GMT -5) by Chris]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 00:31 (GMT -5)

i like jelly cube's idea of a travelling party (maybe if we can control pets/slaves? the problem is that you can make the group work flawlessly as a group, which is not always realistic) and chris's ideas of improving smithing and reducing the number of NPCs in towns (still have a few though, makes it more realistic :P)

but chris, quite a few of your points go against the point of roguelikes. saving and loading for example. if you really want to, you can always back up the game. unlimited spell usage would also make spellcasters much more overpowered. wizards with infinite castings of magic missile or lightning bolt right from the start is too much ;)

infinite dungeon... <b>infinite</b> dungeon... 'nuff said :P but having TB in the game could be interesting if it's done well (can't think of a good way to do it though)

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 01:16 (GMT -5)

Maybe a 'secret' room?Which leads you to TB?

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6514 days, 23 hours, 47 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 01:22 (GMT -5)

Bah. How about a hidden programming feature while you're at it, that makes ADOM's code dance on it's head like a break dancer from New Jersey?

There really is no point to putting TB into the game. At all. After all, this isn't DOOM II with John Romero's head on a stake.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2004 at 01:23 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 01:47 (GMT -5)

Well,sure.There's no point.But it would atleast make the game more fun. :P

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/19/2004 at 01:48 (GMT -5) by Anarchy2]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 03:43 (GMT -5)

it WOULD be pretty hard to add TB to the game and make it good/interesting/unstupid. there are other ways of adding fun ;)

Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 04:04 (GMT -5)

Well I think if you can look up Thomas Biskup in the Monster Memory he should be in the game, maybe if you do a quest from Khelvaster(if you saved him) to kill him and the dungeon location of his lair will be hidden in the wilderness until you get the quest from Khelly like the Scilinating Cave which is hidden until the Mad Minstrel tells you where it is or the Village Dungeon or the Dwarfen Graveyard.

I agree with Taz that being able to re-load your game would make it not a Rouge-like game well I guess theres always save scumming. But how about when you start as a Wizard you only have wands with limited charges and you have to find books like in Final Fantasy 7 you start with no materia and you can buy it or find it in certain locations in the wilderness or steal it from creatures.

I still stick by my point of the Infinite Dungeon I mean whats the point of having it other than the filk quest?

P.S to Anarchy2 I like the title you chose under the picture of Vincent because it's very appropriate his love for Sephiroth's mother was tainted by Shinra when they mutated him and her by injecting Jenova's cells into them both...hmmm I wonder if Vincent is Sephiroth's Dad?

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 07:17 (GMT -5)

vincent, sephiroth, etc... some final fantasy game? i've only played up to 6.

wizards find books reasonably easily, plus they start with a few already, so that should be enough to help them survive.

well... the ID has to be infinite cuz of the filk quest ;) what if your first kill is a rat and you meet lots of wererats? having the ID there also gives a challenge on how deep you can go ;) it's not hurting anyone by being there, so why take it out? :P

yeah, i looked up TB when you pointed it out earlier. cool... i also look up my own characters once in a while (didn't know that either before)

i still think that adding other sidequests instead of TB will be better. i read an RFE about a doppleganger emperor sidequest (like moloch and minotaur emperors). that sounded interesting. maybe also have a quest that involves invading a goblin tribe... but since goblins are so weak, that quest would have to be shut off quickly or it'd become too easy.

Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 23:07 (GMT -5)

Yea Taz Vincent and Sephiroth are from Final Fantasy 7 it's the best out of them all but it's on PS One and PC(mutters god damn son of a bitch under his breath)so it has ok graphics but the game play is awesome, it takes ages to finish I took me a couple of months...Taz did you say you've only played up to number 6? Hmmm well I never really got into Nintendo or SNES(Super Nintendo)which 1-6 were on I've only played 7,10 I wish they would bring out 7 on PS2.

Anyway back to ADOM...

What about:

• More non random shops and only specialty shops like just weapons or just books or just rings these are good but very rare in dungeons like maybe have towns with 2 or 3 shops
  • Have every race with a special move like drakelings have acid spit attack but no other race has a special move however trolls heal very fast and human learn very fast but still
  • Have every class get a special move at each experience avancement peak like at lv 6, 12, 18, 25, 32, 40 and 50 e.g at lv 6 monks get the circular kick attck or at lv 32 paladins learn healing touch or at lv 25 necromancers learn shadow touch or at lv 6 priests can turn undead(I know paladins and necromancers can too) or at lv 50 thieves can turn invisible by staying adjacent to a wall or at lv 50 necromancers can be resurected you see what I mean?
  • Being able to make bridges in the wilderness but only if you have a bridge building and woodcraft skill lv of 100
  • Being able to wish for artifacts like Bugbiter(starts drooling...ahhh) or the Cloak of Oman or Nature's Companion or True Strength or Sun's Messenger or True Aim or the elusive silver key of course you'ld only be able to wish for artifacts that aren't guaranteed in the game so you wouldn't be able to wish for the TotRR if you did try to It would say "Thou will have to find it thy self"

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/19/2004 at 23:10 (GMT -5) by Chris]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 00:55 (GMT -5)

Wishing for artifacts is way overpowered. Or what do you say if I find a pool in the puppy cave and get a wish and get Ring of Immunity for example? No damage from elements, gained at level 1?
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 12:11 (GMT -5)

i like the classes the way they are now. maybe with a few tweaks here and there. no need to make a special move for every one of them :P

maybe wishing for artifacts could be limited, like getting crowned/precrowned? wishes are pretty rare in the beginning of the game, but yeah, towards the end of the game you could get loads of wishes.

we can't build bridges in the wilderness? i've never tried, but i thought it was possible...

Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

Building bridges in the the wilderness is impossible it says"This bed of water is too big" even though it's only one square across...bah humbug.

• Maybe you could wish for artifacts if you were a crowned champion of any allignment like Taz said because to get pre-crowned you have to be at least lv 8 and remember wishes are very hard to get, by either finding a ring of djinni summoning/wand of wishing/spellbook of wish or getting one from a pool is still very rare becasue by the time you get close to getting a wish the pools already dried up but Darkforge has a lot of pools and I guess you can savescum on top of pools but that's cheating.
  • I still stick by my race/class comment

But what do people think of my idea of more shops in towns and being able to build bridges in the wilderness?

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 21:16 (GMT -5)

More shops would be a nice addition.The race/class special move thing would require too much coding,if you know what I mean.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 23:22 (GMT -5)

the code is sort of already there, you just gotta take some abilities out and stick in a special move ;) the problem is coming with a decent move for EVERY single class...

more shops would be nice, we'd just need to find fixed places for them :P

ok, building bridges in the wilderness too

wishes can be easier to get towards the end. get a few rings, polymorph them. if you're lucky you'll get several wishes

Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6679 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Heres What i would want:

-Being able to make your own home, where you can store items(you would need many logs&rocks).

-AFter selecting race you would select race modifier, like skeleton vampire, hermit etc, like you could be a Human Skeleton Fighter.

-Instead of ASCII use Tiles like in TOME, it would be nice, dont kill me.

-More Cities, maybe some Metropolises :D

-Clans, what you could join.

-more alingments like Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Lawful, Lawful Neutral.

-More secrets, like meeting TB in ID lvl 200 and getting him as a companion etc.

-After winning game the game wont end, you could continue the game.

-Able to be Andor Drakon, your mission then would be commanding your troops to kill adventurers etc.

-Remove annoying Towns People

I think if all that would be in adom i wouldnt be playing any other roguelike :D

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

6145 days, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 at 19:51 (GMT -5)

Here are my personal dreams:

WARNING! VERY HEAVY SPOILERS.

- Tone down monster experience gaining ... jackals, animated trees and ancient blue dragons gain experience far too fast.

- Increase a PC's chances of successfully climbing down the rift just a bit. Not absolutely everyone (bar the highly corrupted) should fall.

- I like @'s idea about the house, but it would have to be rather difficult to make. Potential for a new skill, here?

- I agree with Chris about increasing the chance of special locations, particularly shops, but only a little bit. I also agree about junking Appraising. The idea about race 'm' abilities for non-Drakelings is also something that crossed my mind.

- Small chance (nothing like the Unremarkable Dungeon, for example, but still a chance) of special locations other than rivers being generated in the infinite dungeon ... especially pools. Heck, if there can be cutpurses at ID:50, why can't there be shopkeepers?

- Some other means, even if very difficult, of losing intrinsic invisibility. This is one of the worst ways the game can deny you a very important quest ... Dak does not allow you to fight when invisible, which means you cannot get the Golden Gladius to learn those important skills from Bart. Drinking three blessed potions of visibility on top of each other crosses my mind, or perhaps a rare scroll. The only problem with pools is that they're so rare, and finite ...

- Improve the Law skill so that above 80 or so, you get a verbal indication of just HOW good or bad what you last did was. For example:

"You feel restless." - minor chaotic act, -3 stones.
"You feel considerate." - minor lawful act, +3 stones.
"You feel saintly." - highly lawful act, +50 stones.

This would remove some of the need for the relatively rare scrolls of balance, and would make the skill itself much more desirable. Just an idea ...

- Some guaranteed method for lawful PCs to learn some of the skills Yergius can teach, in particular Detect Traps. That's open to dispute, but I still think it's a good idea. For some reason Yggaz crosses my mind ... perhaps if given enough potions of booze?

- Fire bolt in the animated forest should anger the trees. I'm sorry, but if burning hands does, fire bolt should, too.

- One more guaranteed source for at least a couple more scrolls of chaos resistance.

- Some means of actively practising the Dodge skill.

- More races, more classes, more skills, more locations, more monsters, corrected typos, the usual fare.

- For those few noble souls (I am not one of them) who are trying to win without spoilers, more Mad Minstrel songs and Yggaz babblings. Thrundarr should also have a bit more to talk about to clue the player in.

Please do argue with me if you disagree with any of that, I'd like to know what you think.

"For only one you'll step aside and cease your faithful vigil:
The one who wears your brother's ring emblazed with Heaven's sigil."

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/24/2004 at 20:30 (GMT -5) by MadTom]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

@, that race modifier is a bit weird. can you give a bit more detail? could be really interesting :P

i dont really like the thing about controlling andor drakon or finding TB

townspeople make teh game more realistic, but sometimes there are too many of them. just reduce their numbers.

madtom, special locations in the ID would mean infinite pools and shops for those who have patience. on the other hand, yeah, TB could put those in and only those with a LOT of patience can take advantage of it.

i like that idea about the law skill

about fire in the animated forest. what if we could set things on fire? eg: if you're in a forest and use a fire spell on a tree, it'll burn for a couple of turns. any creature going through that square will take fire damage. using fire spells on animated trees could have a similar effect. if an animated tree was on fire, it'd still move around, but anything it hits (or bumps into) will take melee AND fire damage (dangerous chain reaction, all trees could catch on fire). after a while, the tree would get burned out.

i think that there already are enough races and classes. can't think of good skills to add either. but i remember reading somewhere something about mixing classes, like if you're the son of a grey elf and a human, your stats would be somewhere between theirs, and etc. starting skills would be tricky though.

Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 03:49 (GMT -5)

@ there are already the allignments CN and LN you see them when you go from Lawful to Chaotic or Chaotic to Lawful, there is no need for you to be able to build your own home to store items because the Old Barbarians Glade is for that.

And stop stealing my ideas like meeting Thomas Biskup and removing the towns people. But I do like your idea about being able to walk around after finishing the game.

P.S What do you mean by clans?

Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

Thx chrish.

Clans= Examples: Palladin Clan, Necromancer Clan etc. Like if you want to join Palladin clan you must be palladin and lawful, and it will cost you. After you have joined you can buy healing spells train get quests etc.

Taz: Race Modifier: It is like i pick Orc race, then i can choose will it be a Vampire Orc Skeleton Orc Hermit Orc Normal Orc Lazy Orc Wise Orc Etc. If i choose Lazy Orc, after that i choose profession, id pick barbarian, then id be Lazy Orc Barbarian. Like if id pick Humanish Spectre i would be able to walk past all walls, but if i would go Hungry! i would die right away cause Spectres need fresh meat :P vampires are Strong and charismatic but are weak at sunlight and must eat fresh bodies.

Yeah, it would be really great if you could walk around after won. Thinkg if you could become Chaos God and rule the wold mwahaha:P

House Building: As tom said, it would be cool to build your own house, but you would need Building skill or something. Heh, what about if you could make a SHOP!! ^^ npc's would come and buy your stuff, that would be cool. and you could build your own TOWN! mwhahah and you could get married, get kuds and make them your companions, slaves or kill them for exp :P

Chris: Oh, should i write in there like Meet Thomas Biskup(TM)(Copyright to Chrish, all rights reserved) i think many have thought about those ideas.

Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 05:40 (GMT -5)

I like tazes idea of mix classes, what about a High Elf/Orc? :D

EDIT: Oh and whit building skill you could build your own stuff, like instruments spears arrows and stuff

What about if there would be schools, where you can learn litearcy skills and even another profession, but it would cost much money. What if youd be a High Elven archer who goes to school and comes back as a High Elven Arcer, Wizard?

It would be pretty hard to TB to make, though

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 1/25/2004 at 05:45 (GMT -5) by @]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6517 days, 5 hours, 44 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 05:51 (GMT -5)

Change the listening skill so that you get direction messages from it eg. "You hear a splashing sound from the north"
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 22:48 (GMT -5)

woa, @, i think that your suggestions are a bit exaggerated :P

Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7016 days, 22 hours, 4 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 23:03 (GMT -5)

Like I said in the "darkness" thread, I think it would be cool for dark elves to have some sort of infravision, so there may be some positive modifiers when in the dark. Or perhaps make it an intristic gained from pools or wishes.

Plus maybe have some sort of a nemisis race...chosen at the beginning or something...(if you are a dwarf, you get to hit modifiers on orcs). Like sometimes in the opening when it gives a brief background and it says "your parents were killed in a raid..." have an advantage of some type when in combat with the same kind of race\creature...

but this is just me.

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

Taz: Think i got a little carried away...

Lol

But wouldnt it be nice to be a High Elf/Orc whos building his own shop to sell stuff? :D

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/27/2004 at 15:49 (GMT -5) by @]
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: