Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / your most terrible blunder

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 5 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

Hmm. I understand the forge thing but the altar? They are not that uncommon. And there is nothing worth saccing in dwarftown.

Blunder:

Well, once I wanted to sac a bit in dwarftown. Don't ask where I was looking at, but I was standing next to the Altar and the priest was on it.
He was not amused :)
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6018 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

I wouldn't try to be crowned with that alter, but it is useful to be able to find out the cursed nature of items which is why I like to be able to convert that one.
Battle bunny
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

I often play chaotics, and so often kill Yrruir. Once, however, I tried a dwarven healer, and forgot that this time I had to kill Riurry instead of Yrruir!
Battle bunny
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 04:51 (GMT -5)

And the other one: I was keeping scrolls of power(blessed) in Sharad-Waador's room. Afterwards, I tracked the mana temple, but I forgotten to bring my scrolls of power! Then I said: Oh crap, then I do it without them. But I was so crazily casting spells, that I didn't watch my HP, and...
"Vile lord, the dark elven necromancer, exhausted himself by casting too many spells."
Battle bunny
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 05:01 (GMT -5)

And a third one: I had about 8 HP when I've found the cute dog, so I sent out the dog to attack the ogre before me. The cute dog won. Later, my HP reduced to 2. However, I didn't watch that the dog was critically injured, and I later discovered that I had a blessed potion of healing. But I sent out the doggie against the large kobold, and doggie poof, me poof.

Have you ever died in a fight without knowing that you have a method of healing?
Yes  No
Check results

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

Shouldn't 10000 gold pieces be enough to guarantee that an altar converts at level 26? There's no reason that I should lose all my stuff when sacrificing 10000 gold! 5000 is plenty already, I've had altars convert with 200.

Well anyways, I just lost all my stuff trying to convert an altar with 10000 gold, if you hadn't picked that up.

Can I have a do-over without calling it cheating? Please? I have a backed up file from right before, and I'm sure I know better than the game's RNG.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6509 days, 4 hours, 30 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 19:10 (GMT -5)

How much you need to convert altars increases dramatically with your level. At level 50 even some artifacts won't convert an altar.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Arch-mage
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2004 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

I had promiced char, going to become arch-mage and to do ultra-end. He maneged to find RoDS while scumming ID, firs wish for ?s of luck. Treasure hunter+luck+fate smiles bring him TWO AoLS, ? of Danger, 3 PoCC, number of PoGA and another RoDS, don't count those RoI and blankets. Then he decide to go for pre-crowning. Manipulating with altar and AoOrder lets him to be absolutely close with N+ alignment. Then he prays... and damn, CROWNING...
Just forget that stupit Black Tork :(
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

Yeah, there seems to be a bug with ADOM not redrawing your aligment after you sacrifice. Doublecheck by pressing ctrl-r (redraw screen) before you pray for precrowning.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4939 days, 15 hours, 30 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 12:54 (GMT -5)

About converting altars... Isn't sacrificing monsters the best way? I always convert altars that way.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 8 hours, 6 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 at 03:54 (GMT -5)

I think gold is the safest way to convert an altar. With monsters, it depends a lot on your level and the type of monster
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

Yup, definitely gold.
But Sis work well for humans, since they are tools and tools are human goods favourite sac.
Didn't try if one si is enough, but they always seem to quarrel about their favourite sac.
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6834 days, 5 hours, 42 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

My worst mistake was last night when Hotzenplotz killed my grey elven wizard. I forgot that my PC had 98 speed because he was burdened, so Hotzenplotz killed him.

That may not sound so unusual, but what hurts the most was that an AoLS was generated in Barnabas' shop.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 00:53 (GMT -5)

I went to the puppy cave and encountered a pool. My char was at lvl 3 I think, and not that good. I thought why not to drink the pool? If I get something bad, I can make a new character. So. 'The pool tastes like pure beer!' Then: 'What do you wish for? Seven league boots' :). Foolish me, I forgot to wish for pairs of 7LBs. Well, who cares, I thought. And on same level, I found some scrolls and decided to identify them to see if one was a scroll of identify. Well. 'This scroll seems to be blank.' 'Uh oh, you feel as if you have made serious blunder.' 'Your seven league boots turn into heap of dust!' AARGGH!! A scroll of item destruction!
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Patrick
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 at 21:30 (GMT -5)

I had my most poorly played game ever recently. Everything started well enough with my beastfighter, so he went for a pre-crowning, getting the ever-wonderful scorched spear. Naturally annoyed, I went for a second, but got tired of the sacrificing after a game week, saved Yrrigs, and became L+. Just for the heck of it, I prayed, and was crowned champion of order with cold immunity.

I later tried to get some wishes from Darkforge, but was doomed a half dozen times, and I made the trip to Terinyo (without 7LB) all but the last time, when I remembered a coaligned altar on D:1. That wasted about 40 game days.

To top off this great character, I later meleed two acid dragon lesser vaults (taking care of all but three of my spellbooks from the library) and accidentally killed a 100% avoidable cat the level before the cat lord. After this, I went ahead and tried to melee an entire greater undead vault, and had most stats drained to single digits and gained ~200 years of aging. He died, oddly enough.
tongHoAnh
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

Zapping wands of trap creation randomly in Earth Temple and after the fight stepped on a stone block trap. I survived but a lot of stuff were destroyed, including a glowing wand :(
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

Ouch. I thought all eternium items were indestructible?
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

6976 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

Wouldn't it suck if you'd been kind to cats all along, only to find the Cat Lord generated in a tension room? Yeah, it would.

Wouldn't it suck if a disk error corrected by Scandisk made your .svg file fail ADOM's CRC? Yeah, even a lvl 50 high elven archer on her way to kill Filk and then attempt an avatar ending would probably feel that she had "run out of luck."
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 13:28 (GMT -5)

"Wouldn't it suck if you'd been kind to cats all along, only to find the Cat Lord generated in a tension room? Yeah, it would."

No. It wouldn't. He wouldn't be hostile. Same is with Jarrod the healer for instance.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

but he might possibly be killed by the other creatures, because he isn't hostile towards the PC
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6970 days, 3 hours, 28 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

Yeah... I wonder what could be generated on D:35 or sth that could kill kitty lord... ;)
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 at 03:34 (GMT -5)

he isn't that strong if you haven't killed any cats
moomoo
Registered user

Last page view:

5385 days, 14 hours, 46 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

And the tension room might be full of ancient black wyrms or something. Or just fire lizards. Just something that breathes crap on the cat lord.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

what about a tension room full of cats, that would be a bit ironic :D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/13/2005 at 06:34 (GMT -5) by Morio]
marcos
Registered user
High Elven Ranger

Last page view:

5570 days, 21 hours, 56 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 at 20:02 (GMT -5)

Today I thought my lv 13 Hurthling Archer could kill a gorgon... he probably could but... I ran out of rocks... :(

And before that, just bad luck, not a mistake:
I was 5 paces away from Jharod, the carpenter behind me, I was going to get Healing... but then I got stuck in a corridor between him and a wild cat... Bah. I had to choose Healing...
Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

6895 days, 20 hours, 42 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 at 22:15 (GMT -5)

Don't forget the Cat Lord can teleport at will, he'd (she'd?) probably teleport as soon as the room woke up.
What do you wish for? _Drew Barrymore figurine
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 at 12:15 (GMT -5)

teleportation is not allowed on the level with the cat lord
Portrait
XaXeXiXoXu
Registered user
Ancient Weight Dragon

Last page view:

6976 days, 15 hours, 18 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 06:28 (GMT -5)

My latest blunder was failing to respect a doppleganger king with my human weaponsmith. Tension room, blind rage, death on the Mana temple level before even digging into it.

Previous blunders include executing myself with a magic missile on D:50 as a gnomish elementalist, and becoming a fallen champion by diggin up graves and not watching my alignment.

If there's any test of a player *not* reloading a backup save to recover from a blunder, I've passed it many times.
XaXeXiXoXu, the ancient weight dragon, breathes weight at you! You are suddenly overburdened!
InferisMortenum
Registered user
Blessed by Satan

Last page view:

6356 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2005 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

I guess my recent blunder was when I accidentally kicked stairs in ID and got crushed.
One hundred warriors of Lucifer, they brought the fire with them
And they made storm of fire, that blew over paradise
And behold, one hundred and six, monsters from the inferno
They brought the nuclear destruction, that devastated The Holy Realm

Barathrum - Last day in Heaven
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 03:00 (GMT -5)

being doomed and cursed trying do do the mana temple, that was a FAST way to die
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: