Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Precrowning/Crowing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

Hmmm...
Been experimenting a bit with hurthling wizards.
What do you guys think is better:
Kill it, cook it, sac it?
or give the god the raw material ie. live sacrifices?
Whats worth more for a hurthling? The cooked corpse or a live sac?
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 06:24 (GMT -5)

is a live sac worth more than a gods prefferd sac?... hmmm good Q
Ill say it depends on the value of the live sac against the cooked one...eg, a cooked orc is worth less than a live gnoll..?
no help in the manuals on this one.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 21 hours, 32 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 06:48 (GMT -5)

Level >= 8 + 3 * artifacts

There, greater or equal.
Portrait
Quvean
Registered user
The jack of all trades

Last page view:

6805 days, 10 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 07:30 (GMT -5)

This means you cannot get precrowned until you're level 11 ( + The number of possible artifacts generated, like Si, Phial of Galadriel or something....? )

That made things a bit more clearer to me. Thanks, Molach :D !

Man, I just hate sacrificing. I usually spend like 20 game days in some stinking dungeon sacrificing monsters and gold... That's boring, but worth it :)

((( UNLESS YOU GET THAT F*CKING BLACK TOME OF ALPHOSOCUS!!!11one1! )))

The smurf punches through your armor and hits you. You die...
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 10 hours, 32 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 08:45 (GMT -5)

No, 8 is the lowest level at which you can get precrowned. If you haven't generated any artifacts: 8 + 3 * 0 = 8, see :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

welll.....
The question isn't if a cooked orc is worth less than say a live fire giant king...
the question is: Is a cooked gnoll worth more, less or same as a live one...
there is one advantage to the cooking approach, obviously: You get the killing XPs. And it is less boring than w5Ow5Ow5O for some hours of realtime...

>quvean:
No not really, you can't get precrowned before level 8. Add to that 3x the number of already generated artifacts.
:)

And if anybody wants to know: My current hurthling wizard is doing greeeeaaaaat!
First time in my life i have seen the wall of flames! got my first wand of wishing (wished for scrolls of cure corruption. :duh: got potions.) :)Big room is (somewhat) pacified with an angry horde of blink dogs. (I don't care, they can't see invisible :)) )
At the moment i wonder hard what to do next.
Toef? Darkforge? Explore the water dragon cave if it is worth killing her? Kill her anyway because i'm angry at her because my last elfen archer couldn't pick up his arrows in her cave??? well,well...
ashandarei_
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 11:20 (GMT -5)

'wished for scrolls of cure corruption. :duh: got potions'

They are scrolls of chaos resistance and potions of cure corruption. Scrolls are better because they reduce more corruption.

The water dragon is extremely hard. One of the toughest enemies. But she can't fight in darkness, so it is possible to kill her even at lower levels. I usually try to kill her about L 20-23. Be very careful there.
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

Thanks ashandarei.

I read the guidebook and mixed it up...I am getting used at hitting myself. i should start to think of another punishment... :)

after getting nearly killed by a huge dragon turtle i fled the watercave...
im not *that* mad at her...I can understand that dragon urge to consider everything dropped as a gift *g*

actually did darkforge, and advanced through toef 1-3 very easily. On level 4 i realized all my wands of digging and my pickaxe have perished to the flames...
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4956 days, 2 hours and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 17:01 (GMT -5)

Pray. It helps. ^^
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4938 days, 21 hours, 17 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 at 00:38 (GMT -5)

Wear a blessed ring of ice or have some blessed fireproof blankets, preferably both. They protect yor equipment from fire.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

6608 days, 20 hours, 11 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

For neutrals, how do I avoid crowming when I want pre-crowning first. Every level 8 I have tried gets crowned, by-passing precrowning.
I guess it must be that I am in the range of true neutral. If I used a scroll of balance, what value should I see so that I can get pre-crowned?

Also, a few folks have mentioned a Adom manual/Guidebook. Where do you get it? It didn't come with the beta code & I don't see it on the web site.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/26/2004 at 07:54 (GMT -5) by arkflash]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 13 hours, 53 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

To get a neutral precrowning, you alignment must not be N=

the GB:
http://andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-toc.html
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

yah you have to be N+ or N-, and be absolutly close
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

I find the blessed amulet of order you get from sherrif after kill crime lord helpful to stay above N=. Wear it while you sac, and alignment should easy be N+ when you want to be precrowned.
Jarl Wolfbane
Registered user
The Irish Assassin

Last page view:

6967 days, 17 hours, 13 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 at 09:20 (GMT -5)

I think I only ever got precrowned -once-, and that was due to a PC altar and lots of live sacs. I've never seen the ToEF, but I have made it past Dwarftown a few times. I'm working on the whole caution thing now... I'll fiddle around a bit more with all this crowning stuff. I don't usually spend much time with it.
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

6997 days, 12 hours, 24 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 at 17:13 (GMT -5)

>>>On level 4 i realized all my wands of digging and my pickaxe have perished to the flames...

>>>Pray. It helps. ^^

and what if it doesn't? i have a 'remains unheard' message right now:/
despite being in good standing with god
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4899 days, 4 hours, 36 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

I think Live sacs are worth more every time. BTW, does anyone know how much experience your PC gets for a live sac of a monster? I know you get some, but I'm not sure if it's the whole amount (which would be a *really good* thing) or half or 1/4...
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

I think Live sacs are worth more every time. BTW, does anyone know how much experience your PC gets for a live sac of a monster? I know you get some, but I'm not sure if it's the whole amount (which would be a *really good* thing) or half or 1/4...
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

sorry. dumb IE.
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 02:49 (GMT -5)

that was my original question.
i know the crowning stuff...
but what is the FASTEST way to get a pre crown?
useing GODS FAVOURD sac <elfs gods like rings>
or just sac orcs till you are there, the cooking thing was just 1 example there are 100's <or 1000's, is a live troll fire giant king worth more than a blessed ring of ice?>
maybe that is a better eg
Portrait
p_ouji
Registered user
Hikari no Yuusha

Last page view:

6907 days, 2 hours, 3 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

The absolute fastest way to get a precrown is abusing cross-aligned prayer since no alters or sacrifices are necessary. There has been some debate as to wether or not this is cheating.
- p_ouji
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 at 04:55 (GMT -5)

Just one quick tip about hurthling sac thingy:
Undead can't be sacced, but they sometimes leave corpses (which may be sacced.)
Same goes for summoned monsters (rats n stuff).
As a hurthling it would certainsly be better to cook these corpses first.
It should be better for other races with cooking too, because cooked corpses have higher satiation value....

And again, remember the "firebolt" - instant cooking for chars without cooking set and/or skill.
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

well, my hurthling experiments have shown the following:
its easiest to do the w5O-routine-routine, just as with any other char.
The reasons for this are:
1. Not enough corpses from fighting, no matter how high your Food Preservation is.
2. Danger of getting killed.
3. Danger of spoiling the corpse. (gods really are picky eaters)

Still doesnt answer the question... (uh, thomas?)

But -> raven1: the problem really only exists for hurthlings (well...dwarves maybe with gold being preffered, and monsters dropping gold for misers and the like...) How do you get 50 or even 100 rings for an elf???

-> P_ouji abusing cross aligned prayer? Whats that and how do you do it? Never heard that one.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 11:23 (GMT -5)

mattam, Praying a *lot* and when your current god gets angry at you, the other gods like you more if you do this long enough the other gods will like you enough for a (pre-/post-)crowning. That's called cross-aligned prayer
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 15:09 (GMT -5)

Thanks morio, you are a source of wisdom ... :D
just tried it out with a 1. level human fighter.
just to see what heapens.
sounds dangerous even at higher levels to a n00b like me...
well, ADOM is dangerous isn't it? *g*
Portrait
einherjar
Registered user

Last page view:

6833 days, 11 hours, 29 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 at 11:50 (GMT -5)

Now I'm confused. I have to pray to my god to get precrowned? Every time I sacrifice something, I get the message "Corellius seems to be very close to you." My PC is L.
May thy wisdom be omnipresent.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 at 11:53 (GMT -5)

You must sacrifice until you get the message: "Correlius seems to be extremely close to you" and then pray

Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

I've just spent 20 days in VD:7 sacrificing monsters to Law. I've already been precrowned once. How long should I expcet it to take to get a second pre crowning?
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 12:56 (GMT -5)

Since i got my first second pre crown today i feel obliged to anser:
Its dependant on level and on nr. of already generated artifacts.
If you are level at least 11 and only the pre crown gift has been generated you can get a second precrown. otherwise the necessary level goes up by three per generated articact.
:)
The formula is:
Char Level >= 8 + 3xartifacts generated

Imagine my joy when i found out that i was level 14, and only the si and the gift were generated. I decided to hang out by that altar for a while longer :)
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6017 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 at 07:44 (GMT -5)

I asked the above question about a second precrowning (second last post).

I am aware of the level artifact formula for pre/post crowning. Only one artifact had been generated (first pre crowning gift) which I confirmed when I quit in frustration. I was also at the required level. In fact I made it up to level 14 while sacrificing monsters.

My question is how long I should expect to be at an alter until a secopnd precrowning is rewarded?
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: