Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Heir vs Treasure Hunter

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
gravel
Registered user
if i'm not ADOMing i'm working

Last page view:

5871 days, 18 hours, 50 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 at 01:11 (GMT -5)

If you get 3 skills and only 3 skills at startup which do you think is better, Heir or Treasure Hunter.

Now some races get great Heir gifts and some dont.

What is everyones thoughts on this?

I always like the assassin Heir gift and i dont survive past mid teens with my levels anyway so i probably dont get the full experience of treasures
The stone giant runs away in fear. Who ever heard of a stone being scared of gravel?
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 6 hours, 24 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 at 04:15 (GMT -5)

Really depends on the heir gift of the class.

Bards get the best heir gift of all (seven leagues), and they already have pretty high luck finding treasure.

In general, any heir gift consists of one and only one item, which can be as useful as it can be easily lost. On the other hand the permanent advantage you gain for choosing treasure hunter...

It's rare I get this many talents with any other class, anyway, seeing as I rarely play gnomes or halflings.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Z
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 10:56 (GMT -5)

I would go for permanent advantage of TH. Note that TH requires only one "Level 1 only" talent, I would get Long Stride first (not as good as 7LB but still useful) and then go for TH when experienced enough.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4152 days, 10 hours, 59 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

given one starting talent what is lv9?
somehow i feel good part of chars would have some other ways to improve themselfes. ID stairwalk for example.

i realy think TH is heavily overvalued talent. especiallyif you can't abuse at the vry begining.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

If I were playing a "challenge" game, where I knew that if I died I'd be out of the competition (as opposed to normal play, where I could just start a new character) I would go with long stride almost always. And then get hardy + PV talent. That really helps survival chances. TH - is not needed, you can always scum for items "just a little more". But if the chosen (or given) char might receive a great heir-gift, then I might go for that as well.

My point is (I think) that TH does not really help survival, but is merely a conveniance factor later on.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 04:33 (GMT -5)

MORE LOOT! I WANT MY MORE LOOT NOW!

Seriously, though, I try not to abuse the Infinite Dungeon too much. In the end, it's like scumming gremlins, or spending weeks harvesting herbs to get three precrowns... I simply don't feel like a hero doing that, and I want my wins to be a rare feat, achieved not by going the EASY way.

Treasure Hunter allows for a little bit more loot to be found without actively scumming for it. Also, it has a cool ring to it. Deep down, aren't we all going into these dungeons for the TREASURE, not for killing the same duplicated gremlins over and over again?
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5830 days, 2 hours and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 05:30 (GMT -5)

^What he said.

Also, I don't go ID/herb/gremlin harvesting. While I do make the herb patterns and do lock away the 40 breeders, I don't usually stay and only get what I need (and harvest them when I pass by). Treasure hunter is my friend. Though if I had 3 starting talents, I'd often choose Alert, Miser and something else instead of TH. Maybe Strong of Will if I'm a fighter, or Potent Aura if I'm a mage/mindcrafter. TH can wait, survival cannot.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

>While I do make the herb patterns and do lock away >the 40 breeders, I don't usually stay and only get >what I need

so do I... unluckily me needs quite often consists of 300+ stoma.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

300+? For the rest of the game or for the precrowns?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

precrowns:(
i can do game with no stomafilia at all. actually i'd miss stomacemptia a lot more.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 18:17 (GMT -5)

It's not all that difficult to go without precrowns. If your only cooked lizard merchant somehow got killed, however, I'd feel a lot safer having a steady stomafillia supply...

I've been made aware of the uses of stomacemptia; somehow, though, I seem to be able to make due without it.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 19 hours, 47 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 19:08 (GMT -5)

Sometimes I wonder how much Treasure Hunter talent actually helps. Is it 10% more? 5%? Only one guy on the planet actually knows for sure, and he isn't telling.

I usually get it, because I love getting more treasure. But other times, I'll make a character without it, and they'll find tons of good stuff anyway. I mean, remember playing ADOM before the Talent system got implemented? We still had characters decked out in good stuff. Are we that better equipped now because of TH? Without statistics to back me up, I'd say it's not that much different.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
netlava
Registered user

Last page view:

6032 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 22:18 (GMT -5)

I would have to say though, heir > th for bards.
Snwo aval ten
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 04:47 (GMT -5)

Nightmare: Who cares about statistics? More treasure is more treasure. It's not like I couldn't survive without a wand of fire (30) for an elementalist but if I would find an eternium plate mail of resilience, then I would thank TH first and not my luck. (Well, I got a *mithril* plate mail of resilience with an elementalist with TH. 'Twas a winner game... Champion of Balance if I recall correctly)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 37 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

This would suggest pretty big improvements with treasure hunter.

Spoiler
Yes, I sometimes scum bards with 4 starting talents.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 05:46 (GMT -5)

nothing new.
anyway i tend to call myself Soira on google groups.
so you can read my opinion in that thread.

in short depends how you count.
we speak about 100 items per 1k monsters. most of these being useless clothes, leather caps, etc...
for a cost of 3 talents...

heavily overvalued.

as far as heir goes... bard's gift is great, thief's one is better than a phase dager and i heard people wishes for these.

others... well i do believe healer's gift is not something to complain about. i just need to try one with three starting talnts.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/23/2007 at 05:51 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 06:14 (GMT -5)

Who said most of them are leather caps and clothes? And never forget, heir requires 3 starting talents. TH requires 1.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 at 06:54 (GMT -5)

>Who said most of them are leather caps and clothes?

actually you are right 25+percent will be gold and food. which are not items I do seek for.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 at 06:23 (GMT -5)

°_°

Expecting the game to drop valuable stuff every other monster is like trying to ask the RNG to do you a favor. You'll fail at the end -_-

One thing is sure, though. Using my gnome wizard's 4 starting talents on Good Book Caster & prereq.-s helped that wizard go better than TH. So maybe the solution will be "skip TH" after all? I could for example argue that there is little need for more treasure after getting some good artifacts.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

yeah, but i have problems in believing that loaf of bread and 5gp in leather cap is a treassure i'm hunting for.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

It's not really a valid argument. Treasure Hunter increases your chances to drop items. More item drops = more chances to get an actually useful item. Of course it could just be another set of clothes or a girdle of weight. BUT it could also be a wand of wishing. It's like that with EVERY item drop in the game, including those of gremlins. With gremlin-scumming you simply generate a near infinite supply of item-drops, which will result in a high chance, or near 100% chance after 3000 tries, for certain items to be dropped. Of course you don't need Treasure Hunter if you spend your whole game scumming gremlins or waiting for your gremlin bomb to accumulate the treasure. But it is a nice addition in case you want to play the game in a way that doesn't feel cheap.

As for the topic at hand: Three starting talents to get a single item that could be easily destroyed by one of those damned acid traps is pretty risky. Treasure Hunter at least stays with you for the rest of the game...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/25/2007 at 04:48 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 3 hours, 14 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

3 talents are too expensive for both, IMO

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 at 18:16 (GMT -5)

Usually I run out of useful talents to take by the end of the game - even with Treasure Hunter...
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 11 hours, 37 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 11:57 (GMT -5)

It would be more useful if treasure hunter had an effect like "magic find" in Diablo II.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 37 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

I'll still be picking TH the first thing I can with all of my chars. If the numbers are like pointed out somewhere: ~27,5% chance of drop with TH, ~15% without, it's a really big difference, almost double the drops with TH. There are many important items the finding of which depends solely on lucky drops, AoLS, RoDS, RoI. Increasing the chances to find these is much more preferable to me than some +1, +2 or +5% something that many other talents give.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 16:54 (GMT -5)

It would be more useful if treasure hunter had an effect like "magic find" in Diablo II.

Let's go Ssraxxarrakex running! :D
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 17:34 (GMT -5)

Oh my god, I'm playing ADOM so I won't have to ponder endlessly over what skill points to take, which abilities to raise, and items to find or trade stuff for. And especially not to keep killing the same boss a hundred times over...
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 at 18:12 (GMT -5)

It's not like *I* would want another Diablo II out of ADOM either. We don't want TH = MF here, thank you.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 3 hours, 14 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 at 16:17 (GMT -5)

LOL, Diablo II sucks.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 22, 2007 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

J.:take a note on weight of items you mentioned.
for them pick pockets are a lot effective than drops.

one fact i'd like to see in Adom is Diablo or Crawl style random artifacts. woulld make these scrolls odf great identify worth something.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: