Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Most Neglected Class

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
MrNiceguy
Registered user

Last page view:

5548 days, 6 hours, 8 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

I personally like to play a druid once in a while. Hurthling druids are particularly good. Combine the rock-throwing skills with the non-hostile ants on Puppy Cave 2 and you've got plenty of ammo. Druids can run into food problems in the early game since so many tasty animals are non-hostile, but Hurthling Druids have Food Preservation and Cooking to avoid that.

As mentioned above, you can almost completely avoid the cat problem except for the arena, (and the bottom of the Black Druid dungeon - usually a lot of cats there for some reason - lure them up a level and let some non-hostile animal deal with them) Druids can also switch alignments much easier than other classes. (At least once you've found any healing spellbooks) Need to get more chaotic? Kick an animal. Need to get more lawful? find an animal that's fighting and heal it.

I do agree that their class powers pretty much suck, though. I've tried to imagine some better "druid-y" class powers. Maybe give the ability to tame animals by Chatting at a low level, then at some higher level grant the ability to transform yourself into some sort of ginormous Greater Dire Bear for a short time. Tremendous strength and toughness, all equipped items drop, can't use any spells or items.

The "Avoid wilderness encounters" class power can come in handy if you're going to try for an ultra ending. Make your first kill in the wilderness - something that's not all that common in dungeons. I usually try for a barbarian, outlaw, or maybe bandit. Common as heck in the wilderness, but not so much in dungeons. (Not what I'd call rare, but at least they aren't common in vaults or tension rooms.)
Redundancy is good.
And also good.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 14 hours, 36 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 at 20:08 (GMT -5)

I also think that druids are underestimated. The
biggest knock against them, is that they are not
wizards. Semi spellcasters just don't aren't as
magically powerful as true spellcasters. Still,
the animal friendship factor can be a great help
for early game survival. Also, when you find a
great weapon, you can actually make the most of
it.

Hopefully, when Silfir puts out the druid guide,
they will get a bit more respect. I did a 'limited
turns' game with one recently, and found his
performance to be quite competitive with wizards.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 12 hours, 19 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

No the biggest knock against them is that they're not priests. They only have two things over priests - guaranteed offensive starting spell, and friendly animals. That's compared with far better class powers, much better starting equipment and Detect Item Status (which is high enough at the start to be very useful).

By the way, I would have said before that thieves are one of my most neglected classes, since skill-wise they're simply weaker versions of assassins. But I'm playing one now (going for Max Artifacts again) and they do have one very nice feature - they're practically immune to traps. Level 6 class power means searching every step - combined with 100 Detect Traps and 100 Alertness I haven't had a negative effect from a trap all game (level 20 at the mo). Disarm Traps is quite nice for doors too (and starts off well enough with good increases, so it's a lot handier than learning it from Yergius). The dagger of penetration is handy against some enemies, but as you go on it gets fairly weak - it simply is too low on damage (even after some improvement). Monsters end up fleeing or berserking before you finally whittle them to death. Thankfully now have Skullcrusher to replace it...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/25/2008 at 22:22 (GMT -5) by Darren Grey]
Nezur
Registered user
Overlord of Jak-Aragth

Last page view:

5817 days, 10 hours, 42 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 at 08:57 (GMT -5)

My most neglected classes:
1. Farmer
2. Merchant
3. Weaponsmith
4. Thief
5. Ranger
some adom fan
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 at 20:47 (GMT -5)

thief sucks. merchant sucks. farmer sucks. beastfighter ROCKS!!! I could be wrong ive never even reached khelly, so take my opinion with a grain of sodium chloride, or salt

Mi Hai Loo
Registered user
Demented kobold

Last page view:

5382 days, 20 hours, 32 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 15, 2009 at 22:45 (GMT -5)

My top list:
1. Monks. Beastfighters are just much better: they have much more damage and can be burdened - so they have great speed and DV+PV at one time.
2. Druids (and, may be, priests - but they have good skill). They are not weak, but I simply do not like semicasters. If even a wizard becomes fighter class for me at lvls about 20th, what will be those druids?
3. Bards. Sorry, but I hate them. The weakest class, I think. But great for roleplaying.

Merchants and Farmers are not here just because they are supposed to be a challenge.

Fighters are strong, I thing. They have really good defense.
sterjs
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 18:02 (GMT -5)

Thieves are the worst... they just have a terrible skillset, bad crowning gifts and their class powers arent great.

Merchants suck too for similar reasons.

I'm not really a fan of weaponsmiths, but they're not that bad... at least they start with a decent skillset and have several good crowning gifts.

Other than those, all the classes have something cool going for them.
Mi Hai Loo
Registered user
Demented kobold

Last page view:

5382 days, 20 hours, 32 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 19, 2009 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

At least thieves have lots of wands and potions which must help them a lot, haven't they? I didn't play thieves a lot, but I suppose it must help them to kill most dangerous monsters.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3181 days, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 at 20:42 (GMT -5)

"ULE in 50 days is crazy indeed"

My best is ULE with a human wizard in 32 days, UNE with a human druid in 36 days, and UCE with a human monk in 39 days.

Being lucky and finding 7LBs in your first or second dungeon is the key to that.
But even without 7LB luck, I can usually finish in <61 days, and often finish pre-day50.
I most often try for limited time games, as I find them far more challenging and fulfilling than limited turn games.
Of course, if I'm playing a character that does any smithing or cooking, I don't bother with limited time, and will usually be close to the 90 day mark or higher.

My three bottom classes would have to be:

1. thief
2. merchant
3. ranger

B_C_
Registered user

Last page view:

5160 days, 7 hours, 18 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 at 18:22 (GMT -5)

Bards!

If you get them through the early game (which is possible when you randomly start out w/ [+3, +3] clothes or something ridiculous like that) the drops/number of wishes you get makes the middle/end game very fun indeed.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3181 days, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

I used to think that orc farmers were the weakest race class combo.
Back when new versions were still coming out, I would try an orc farmer for a challenge after finishing with the easier classes like monk, wizard, etc.
But, with the incremental buffs farmers have received over the last several versions, they are actually quite viable now.

My bottom 3 would be:
1. thief - a friend of mine swears by them with their super fast start and enhanced pickpocket + virtual invis on command. I however, just don't feel it with them, since every other class can do everything they can do, just not quite as well...
2. elementalist - a lot of people like them since they have an easier early game, but as a power character looking for a complete ending (not just closing the gate) they are very lacking... Sure, they get some free spell points, but they find very few books and they have a penalty reading the ones they do find. You can't really get super-powered with spells, and using them as a melee character with some spell backup just kind of defeats the purpose of being a spellcaster.
3. merchants other than scroll merchants - for obvious reasons, scroll merchants have an easy time with more chaos resistance, but the other merchants just seem weak in comparison.

Druids actually have a lot going for them. One of their biggest bonuses imo is the regen outdoors thing, a bigger deal then the cat thing if you make use of it.
What it lets you do is convert every book you find (druids find 10x more books) farming the infinite dungeon into super high effectivity.
I’ve played wizards straight through the game using only spells and never using any weapon at all even killing Andor Drakon with spells and still not as high effectivity as I’ve gotten druids to.
You don’t need to hit a monster with a spell to gain effectivity, just casting it in the wilderness is good enough. In terinyo is a place where you can regen pp very fast, and with druid bonus it’s stupid fast.
With patience, you can get your effectivities into the 40s easily and at that point, nothing, even emperor liches and quicklings, can evade your spells.
This also raises your learning, mana, and willpower to very high points…
It’s a different way of playing which may not be for everyone, but if you maximize their class bonuses, you can get very powerful.

Every class has ways of maximizing on their special abilities with different playstyles.
Of course, you could play every class the same, and trudge through with a wizard till you kill andor with arrows/bolts of slaying or trident, but where’s the fun in that?
I like to play a wizard like a wizard and play a druid like a druid…
Playing a thief like a thief doesn’t really get very powerful in the late game though…

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 14 hours, 42 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 at 01:56 (GMT -5)

I like to play a wizard like a wizard and play a druid like a druid…
Playing a thief like a thief doesn’t really get very powerful in the late game though…

Then play a thief like a thief ;) I enjoy pick pocketing more than I should, and seeing the words "sapphire amulet" or "ordinary ring" show up on my screen is great. After level 32 if you pick pocket every tension room you run across you'll definitely have enough PoGA and SoCR to have an easy late game. It's just the early game that can be horrible...

For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/17/2011 at 01:58 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
Portrait
Encephalon
Registered user
People's Person

Last page view:

4337 days, 15 hours, 42 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 at 03:38 (GMT -5)

in game time isn't a problem even if you have already used every scroll of chaos resistance available through quests as long as you have food preservation, because you can just scum wilderness for black unicorn corpses to give to Guth' Alak
(which you can also do for quickling corpses and eternium plate mails from chaos knights)
if con is the opposite of pro, then isn't congress the opposite of progress?
~Philosoraptor

The gold pieces are engulfed in gray mist. nothing happens. you hear someone counting money.

You kick the Ancient Chaos Wyrm and kill it!
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: