Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Most Neglected Class

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4959 days, 12 hours, 16 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 at 07:07 (GMT -5)

ULE in 50 days is crazy indeed - takes my PCs that long to work out which end of the spear they are meant to point at stuff.

As for smithing Soirana, you are probably correct about skill being everything - though to be fair, a dwarven smith should definitely reach 100 in smithing way sooner (in terms of items smithed) than some poor PC getting screwed by Garth... oops, I mean the smith not garth...whatsisname...Glod? Gloin? Edward? A jebige.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/9/2007 at 08:35 (GMT -5) by vogonpoet]
Xevoc
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 15:56 (GMT -5)

If you find the seven league boots early on it's very easy to finish game or do an ultimate ending in 50 days. Without seven league boots it's hard.
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 17:17 (GMT -5)

And what about that guy who won the game with a lvl1 pc? 63 experience points in total.. with the only kill of Andor Drakon who gives 1 xp. (I readed this on the Andy website)

How did he make such a record?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 15 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 20:30 (GMT -5)

Bard, tamed killer bugs, scrolls of familiar summoning for D:50.

BTW - 50 days is nothing, try too top my first win ;)
"He survived for 2 years, 82 days, 4 hours, 44 minutes and 14 seconds (233411
turns)." And without saving Khelevaster too.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/13/2007 at 20:37 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4071 days, 5 hours, 28 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

I'd be impressed if corruption would double every 90 days like it was planned once. As it is, everyone can essentially spend as much time as he wants as long as he keeps finding all the guaranteed corruption removal items in the game.

Not to mention that the wilderness is non-corruption and you can find black unicorns there.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5924 days, 4 hours, 49 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 at 12:36 (GMT -5)

I believe the point was: they are getting screwed!!
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5359 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 17:47 (GMT -5)

Thieves are underestimated. My first win ever was with a lawful human female thief named angel!. The lvl 18 pickpocket thing is great source of poga and extra stealthy +stealthy talent +100 stealt combined with kickass backstabbing means lots of instakills after midgame. Plus that the stunning with crit is great and +20 speed is awesome. Though thieves basically suck all the way up to ToEf after that they become strong, not great but good enough. They would really be a good class if archery was avaible normally. I just can't live without food preservation...

I usually complete the game just in 90 days give or take a few. It's just a matter of finding 7lb boots early enough.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5666 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

Hurthlings have archery and food pres :) They also make good thieves because of the extra talent: thieves have the best, maybe second best, heir talent.

Although, I don't quite understand why you'd want archery... It's a good skill, but as a thief you have to get near all those monsters to pickpocket them.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/23/2007 at 14:44 (GMT -5) by J.]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 4 hours, 45 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

The top monsters should all be taken out with archery. And you can always pickpocket, run then kill.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 at 10:29 (GMT -5)

Still, the skill is what, +4 to hit, +2 dam at 100? Altough, it opens up Eagle-Eyed and Lightning shot.. At least it's not the least useful skill.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
adomist
Registered user
Noob

Last page view:

960 days, 4 hours, 9 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

My second best character was a merchant. ;)
You steal a broken dagger! The orc misses you.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4601 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 17:17 (GMT -5)

J, are you talking about the Archery skill? It also increases your range with all missiles, and I think it offers a few more points than you suggested.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 15:16 (GMT -5)

Yeah, it might increase range, that's good. Normal short bow range is just a little bit too short. About the bonuses, that's what the manual says: +1 to hit/20 points, +1 dam/40. Archers get +1/10 and +1/20, so it's a bit better for them.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/28/2007 at 09:30 (GMT -5) by J.]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

Total benefit or Archery skill at 100 is +2 damage and +5 to hit. BUT, as J. said, you can get Eagle Eye with the Archery skill, which adds 3 to both, and Lightning Shot. That's indeed the real benefit of the skill.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 03:55 (GMT -5)

I believe Eagle Eye also increases your sight radius... can anyone confirm that? It makes sense, and I seem to remember one of my characters taking that talent and getting a few extra squares than before.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

I checked. My gnomish archer could see five squares on level 5 with Perception of 15. A level later he took Eagle Eye, same Perception value, and could still only see five squares.

Maybe there's an effect when using Farsight or torches, but it's probably a small one.

EDIT: Dammit, gnomish archers have torches. Now it's too late to check the sight pre-Eagle Eye. With Eagle Eye and a lit torch, I can now see eight squares. Can someone start up another gnome with 15 perception?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/30/2007 at 08:00 (GMT -5) by Silfir]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

I wonder if using torches reduces or eliminates chance of stealthy movement, or helps mobs find invisible characters...

Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5008 days, 11 hours and 22 minutes ago.
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 at 18:14 (GMT -5)

Nightmare, I suppose it has something to do, since the in-game manual says something about not using torches on the section with thieves' class ability. But that's just partly-educated guess :P
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4152 days, 10 hours, 2 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 00:09 (GMT -5)

i'm surprised it was so hard for anyone to start gnome with 15 Pe...
Nothing spectucalar 5 squares normaly and eight with torch. on other hand if that gives 10% to seeing range rounded down...
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 at 18:34 (GMT -5)

Well we wanted to test if the Talent Eage Eye gave an increased sight range.

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 06:18 (GMT -5)

Which we did.

Gnome with 15 Perception

Without Eagle-Eye: 5 squares without torch, 8 squares with

With Eagle-Eye: 5 squares without torch, 8 squares with

We'd probably have to test Eagle-Eye with higher perception values... or the Farsight spell.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Or an amulet of, whatsit called... amulet of the eye? Shoot...

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

You can scum for gnomish wizards with 15 perception and Farsight, but not for ones with amulets of the eye...
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4152 days, 10 hours, 2 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 01:47 (GMT -5)

i'll be waiting for results of your testing.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 at 05:18 (GMT -5)

... I think I'll just do something else instead. :)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5766 days, 18 hours, 41 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 at 18:58 (GMT -5)

Necros are awesome IMO...nothing like slaughtering a group of enemies in a vault, then raising them as slaves to attack the rest of the enemies in the vault and making things go a TON faster.

Bards, well, Hawkslayer with nice stuff given to him owns, and killer bugs/Greater Earth Elementals/Greater Titans.

My top 3 underused classes are druids, beastfighters, and fighters.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5394 days, 3 hours, 59 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 04:19 (GMT -5)

Hm.
Most negleted for me:

1. Merchant
2. Farmer
3. Druid

Merchants are good for nothing.
Well good herbalism and gardening IS good thing but i would prefer having something else as well.
And druids are well - OK but nothing compared to wizards.
"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Druids are more early game stars, with animals leaving them alone (sometimes defending them) and a good starting skillset. Key among that is starting with the healing skill, giving you more flexibility at the outset.

They also seem a bit more melee-friendly than wizards, although I could be just imagining it.

Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 07:38 (GMT -5)

Druids are divine spellcasters and thus not as bad at training weapon skills as wizards. They also have mostly at least 3 PV on their starting equipment, which isn't much, but usually enough to get through the most easy levels. It's the comparison with the priest where Druids fail spectacularly, the priest usually being better equipped, possessing better skills, far superior class powers and better stats.

A good starting skillset... If you count having Concentration, Herbalism and Healing among it as good, then sure, but you get that with wizards and priests, too, and possessing both Healing and Herbalism isn't that important, as the other can be gained rather easily in the respective quest. Apart from that, there's nothing spectacular. Gardening isn't worth much if you aren't a farmer.

Farmers are the best characters in ADOM, if you consider that they are able to farm an infinity of blessed spenseweed herbs right from the start.
MrNiceguy
Registered user

Last page view:

5547 days, 22 hours and 35 minutes ago.
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

I personally like to play a druid once in a while. Hurthling druids are particularly good. Combine the rock-throwing skills with the non-hostile ants on Puppy Cave 2 and you've got plenty of ammo. Druids can run into food problems in the early game since so many tasty animals are non-hostile, but Hurthling Druids have Food Preservation and Cooking to avoid that.

As mentioned above, you can almost completely avoid the cat problem except for the arena, (and the bottom of the Black Druid dungeon - usually a lot of cats there for some reason - lure them up a level and let some non-hostile animal deal with them) Druids can also switch alignments much easier than other classes. (At least once you've found any healing spellbooks) Need to get more chaotic? Kick an animal. Need to get more lawful? find an animal that's fighting and heal it.

I do agree that their class powers pretty much suck, though. I've tried to imagine some better "druid-y" class powers. Maybe give the ability to tame animals by Chatting at a low level, then at some higher level grant the ability to transform yourself into some sort of ginormous Greater Dire Bear for a short time. Tremendous strength and toughness, all equipped items drop, can't use any spells or items.

The "Avoid wilderness encounters" class power can come in handy if you're going to try for an ultra ending. Make your first kill in the wilderness - something that's not all that common in dungeons. I usually try for a barbarian, outlaw, or maybe bandit. Common as heck in the wilderness, but not so much in dungeons. (Not what I'd call rare, but at least they aren't common in vaults or tension rooms.)
Redundancy is good.
And also good.
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: