Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Atheism and Church vs. State

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 5 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7098 days, 15 hours, 50 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

unless maybe someone here is really george bush. anyone? admit to it now!

(:
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 3 hours, 35 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

LOL... if George Bush played ADOM, he'd have a bit better military strategy, wouldn't he now?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6508 days, 7 hours, 34 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:34 (GMT -5)

Caladriel: I spew tons of random quotes, so those are the ones I chose to put up there.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6993 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

"LOL... if George Bush played ADOM, he'd have a bit better military strategy, wouldn't he now?"

nah, he'd still be leading his characters down the ID wondering why he could never find the bottom
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

lol

"now i know there are weapons of mass destruction somewhere down here..."

(:
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

lol.

I got a very funny clip of the state of the union adress, edited so he keeps saying funny stuff like "Every american child should have..... 3 nuclear missles".
:-).

"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:54 (GMT -5)

is it online somewhere?

(:
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

Yeah, warfalcons.com

Be warned, that site has a lot of crap on it. It's near the middle.

Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

back to religion slightly...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/3088444.stm

d'oh! that is what damn RE lessons are for
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 17:40 (GMT -5)

LOL.
Quite a funny article.

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4699 days, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

Iridia: Did you see the contradiction I ran into from your posts? (See my response to clear up praying to the Biblical "God")
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7171 days, 6 hours and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 22:39 (GMT -5)

Caladriel: Did my posts RE Capital Punishment clear up my viewpoint? Or do you still feel my attitude tends towards the fundamentalist?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 23:27 (GMT -5)

Cal: Yes. I would maintain that the Biblical God is not the God the Muslims worship, though they claim the two are the same. The Jews are a special case; they do worship the same God but need to believe in Jesus as the Messiah (except for the special case in which they may not have heard about him... I doubt more than a few dozen people fall into this category) in order to enter heaven.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 02:16 (GMT -5)

Why's everyone want to get into heaven anyway? If such a thing did exist it'd only be filled with nerds anyway.

:)
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 10:58 (GMT -5)

Iridia: Understood -- Jews worship God, but, on the whole, do not believe Christ is the Messiah.

So, contrary to your previous agreement, it is not sufficient to ask God, regulary and with true and heartfelt repentence, for forgiveness, to try to have no Idols other than It, and to try to love one's neighbor as oneself. Such a person would still be condemned.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/17/2003 at 13:16 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 11:00 (GMT -5)

Lamaros: Yes it clears up your view of capital punishment, and yes, I still feel your attitude tends towards the fundamentalist. :-)

I don't feel this because of your stance on capital punishment, but, rather, because of your stance on proselytizers.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 17:36 (GMT -5)

Hmmm. So Lamaros, am I a nerd? j/k

Caladriel: You have to ask the right god. My pastor once said, "You can have all the faith you want in a potted plant, and it still won't answer your prayers"...

I do not believe that Muslims worship the same god I worship; the Koran and the Bible don't match very well.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/16/2003 at 17:37 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

surely heaven is whatever your idea of eternal happiness and bliss is, your happy place for eternity then lamaros'heaven would be devoid of nerds
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 19:38 (GMT -5)

Shall I apply Caladriel's rather stringent ideas to you, DaN? :)

Instead of saying "surely", you should say that it's YOUR OPINION that heaven is "whatever your idea of eternal happiness and bliss is".

Because, you know... you could be wrong; it mightn't be :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 21:04 (GMT -5)

:P

and just to reiterate

:p

well if heaven was lots of white and fluffy clouds and golden sunshine beaming down on you and nerds In My Opinion (:p ) wouldn't that be a bit of crap reward for being sin-less all your life?
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 23:48 (GMT -5)

heh. like my new title. I think this should clear things up...

(:
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 23:53 (GMT -5)

I don't mind being a bit fundamentalist. I know that I am in certain ways and accept that I want to be in those ways.

I don't think I'm getting much out of this discussion anymore, everyone's just nit-picking or repeating themselves... lets spice it up a bit.

I think most people are hypocrytes. I feel that the 'Christian' stance of certain people is laughable. People like politicians, certain religious leaders, fundamentalists, etc..

I have always thought that the appeal of religion was the community that went with it. I could have the exact same moral viewpoint as you, but while we hold that we are individuals we are different. I felt that people follow religions because with it they get a sense of belonging, people to share feelings and worries between.
I think religion stems from fear of the unknown, and in joining a group then that fear is lessened not only by the teachings of the religion, but also by the sharing and support of its community.

With such communities openly hypocritical and in disarray; with the political nature of the major religious bodies and the fundametalist attitudes held my many of the more steadfast members, what is the attraction these days?

Why do people need to say "I'm a Christian" and the like rather than just say "I believe this."

Cal: Yes, I'm not interested in being converted. This is because I see no point and I see an amazing number of of negative conitations that I really don't want to have anything to do with, they cloud the issue. That's not to say I'm not interested in those coulds completely, but in the context of this discussion I feel they have no place. Fundamentalist, ok.

I once had a long conversation with an american missionary while I was waiting for the bus. In the end he gave me his copy of his bible so that I could read it and I did. If you reject my notion on the pointlessness of Christianity out of hand (and I feel you do) then you're being just as fundamentalist towards retaining your viewpoint as I am towards other's. That doesn't mean I might not convert at some point (though I doubt it) but it does mean I'm not interested in being converted. If I change my mind it'll be because of the views and thought I have come into contact with have meaning towards me, not because someone says "You have to or you'll go to hell".
Likewise, I'm not trying to convert you, but if I can express myself in a way that you understand then perhaps that might change your worldview too.

But I don't want you to beleive what I believe, otherwise it wouldn't be much fun talking to you. I'm just interested in saying and listening to things and thinking about them myself. If someone enteres in a conversation with me with the specific intent of changing my mind, and not concerned with expressing themselves i'm not interested.

So a fundamentalist is me? I dunno. And if I am, I can always change. It's a constant process.

:-) (yeah, it's long)
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 00:12 (GMT -5)

i have never been a big fan of the people who try to get other people to convert by standing on a street corner, handing out Bibles. it seems to me (like lamaros said) that if someone was considering converting, they would already have one. not that im against christianity, or any other belief, i just think that if someone standing on a street corner, handing out bibles, can change someone elses opinion about the creation of the world, they must not of had a very good view of it anyway, and would probably not stay with any one belief for very long.

I have to say, (please do not quote me on this, if you plan on using it against me in the future...) i am not very sucure with my beliefs. i could sway one way, or the other, with a good wind. What i can say is this: there is no other non-'godism' belief out there, that can fully hold together, from what ive heard. And christianity holds together (regardless of the "holes" that it is said to have.) the most, out of all beliefs, considering you can have some form of faith.

This is of course, what my title says.

(:
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 11:09 (GMT -5)

Iridia: . . . I have suspicions that you are avoiding the question. :-)

When I realized you had problems considering Muslims and Hindus, I simplified the situation by only referring to Jews, yet you brought them up again in your past couple posts on this issue.

You agreed that Jews worship the same God as you. So we have Jews who regularly, with true and heartfelt repentence, ask God for forgiveness, try to have no Idols other than It, and try to Love their neighbors as themselves.

If Christianity is the [only] way to know God, then they can't know God, but if people who regularly, with true and heartfelt repentence, ask God for forgiveness, try to have no Idols other than It, and try to Love their neighbors as themselves do know God, then these Jews do know God.

Which is it?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

:-D

Ah, but DaN prefaced his post with "surely". I believe that implies "I believe." It almost makes the statement a question or hypothesis. Contrast:

"Surely, you don't want her at the wedding."

to

"Obviously, you don't want her at the wedding."
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

Lamaros: Another problem with big posts is that there is too much to which to respond. :-)

Re: Fundamentalism
So you accept that you are a bit fundamentalist in your beliefs, but you are upset by other people being a bit fundamentalist in their beliefs . . . That just seems a tad . . . well . . . I'll let you come up with the word.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 11:41 (GMT -5)

Re: The Pointlessness of Christianity
If there is no God or Spiritual existance outside of the physical world, then I agree with you that Christianity is pointless as a belief to have yourself.

The only alternative that I have found, though (to the existance of God) is that we make all of our morals ourselves. Yes, society gives us influences, but in the end, we choose which to accept.

In that case, I can either reject the Golden Rule, or cease being angry (in a sense, judging) any other person. Additionally, I cannot explain consciousness.

BTW, my actual belief in God stems from my life's experience, but, since you have not lived my life, I try not to use that in discussions.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

Re: The point of Christianity
Personally, I am not Christian for the community. I have and explore my beliefs as a way of connecting to God, getting to know myself, getting to understand others and getting fulfillment from life.

Interestingly, Community is both a cause and effect of these reasons (but not a goal).

Christianity leads me to sharing with others and being a part of a Community; while sharing with others and being part of a Community helps me be a better Christian. (at least, better at what I consider a Christian to be) However, Community and sharing is not the reason why I try to be a Christian.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 18:53 (GMT -5)

*sigh* Is this "try to trap Iridia day" or something, and no one told me?

According to the Bible, knowing God and knowing Jesus are the same thing; you can't know God without knowing Jesus. Some references:

John 14:6-7 "I [Jesus] am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well."

John 10:10 "I [Jesus] and the Father are one."

Note that "the Father" refers to God.

A Jew who believes in Jesus remains a Jew, but also becomes a Christian... do a Google search on "Messianic Jew" to find out more about that. The Jewish religion is "special" because the Jews were the people God chose to send the Messiah (Jesus) to.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/17/2003 at 18:53 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 19:14 (GMT -5)

as far as carefully wording my posts is concerned, it ain't gunna happen. if we communicated in pictures that would be fine.

anyway, bring back the momentary tongue-in-cheek, i liked that

also, there was this article in the Guardian today comparing religion to class A drugs ("more e vicar?"). "Religion - Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism etc, etc - is by definition irrational and, more than that, it is an irrationality that lays claim to the complete truth. How dangerous is that?"

full story

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 9/17/2003 at 19:18 (GMT -5) by DaN]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: