Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / DiG -- Democracy inside Game

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 4 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

5994 days, 44 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

wand of magic missiles(7 charges)??

Thats heaps enough to kill them all...
.vultuous.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4074 days, 7 hours, 11 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 at 14:58 (GMT -5)

With that wand, you probably could do it. Thankfully, we're pretty quick by now.

But make no mistake about it, with our current hitpoints we'd be torn to shreds should he reach us.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 11 hours, 45 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 at 02:33 (GMT -5)

Part V The Punishment

It starts to seem chaos has corrupted village council as well. At least they are quite bloodthirsty and willing to eradicate crime lord.
We start the job by taking Skriek and beggar out to peaceful village. Ireth also buys boots of sneakiness which give us extra point of speed.
And speed is needed because crime lord appears to be quite resistant to gold coins and quite fats as well. We have advantage only due too long stride.
Five charges of magic missiles later crime lord and his bouncers are just dead meat and some cash in eleven pocket. Well, Ireth actually is on that was and a bit of coin toss and potion of cure 5hp and poisoned, but luckily we blessed identified some potions of cure poison in puppy cave.

To my surprise talking to old barbarian is quite smooth. He must right kind of man, since I do not hear nothing about majesty and lesser beings.
We use the pyramid road a bit and 4 outlaw ambushes later Ireth gets free lessons on courage.
Boring cave entrance: we met blink dogs yet again and I name first one “Buzog’s killer”. In mind of course since Ireth doesn’t want to hear that name for sure.
We also use some random rust monster to get rid of our cursed spear.
Since we start getting low on food we stop playing with doggies.

Dusty dungeon: we work on detect traps and hit level 13:
dodge (I feel we will be soaking lots of rises here)/2x detect traps/healing
Lightning vortex takes as down to 15 hp, so we use some necklace which acts very like rapid healing one.
Pyramid down level: use detect traps a lot and fetch the tool case.
Persistant as we are, we get back to dusty dungeon.
We use kobold shaman and blessed potion of healing to raise Ireth’s mana.
Dark elf priestess gives us some trouble but her summons provide poison resistance.
At least that spider should have because Ireth becomes poisoned for a very long time so maybe we missed some RNG check. {no spiders are not 100 percent chance, 90+ I’d say}
Between remains of spiders we found bone bracers giving +5 to Toughness. And a heap of hp as well. And easy means to work on healing. Cause we just need to remove bracers and to put them back to force healing to be at work.
We use scroll of item detection from black market, to fetch the very particular wand.
Some yet alive spiders provide second corpse this time granting poison resistance.
Ireth starts blaming me on not taking food issues seriously and she might be right. I’m used to rely on food preservation but that is not an elvish skill as well.
As things go bad we end up drinking cursed potion of potential toughness to avoid starvation.
We reach puppy cave and dig up altar. That wakes up stone giant who is way too tough for our gorgeous elvish merchant.
We use speed instead leaving him down a level.
Blink dogs kick again this time providing teleport control. That was blinkie number 76 and I felt arrows of hunting did the bloody work.
Ireth regains some favor of Ayssia, enough to bless 14 water potions.
We ponder a bit about drinking or not potion of gain attributes. And I decide not, cause we have 93 hp already (without bracers I would have gone for that, you may be sure).
Sacking things. Get lucky. Sacking and kill neutrals for food income. Steal some wand which on test appears to be cold.{which actually marks carpenter quest as unneeded, besides Buzog saved him, right?}
Still sacking mobs. Get fate smile. Get more blink dogs, two of seven leaves corpses and the sell them to local food shop.
Sacking further. Level14 – dodgex2/detect traps/courage(elves need to be brave and we are really out of other useful options).
Lots of sacrifices later chaos rat gives as absolutely close. We use upstairs stored friendly goblin to drop alignment and get…scorched spear. At very least we are already skilled with that and damage output is not that bad either.
Ireth cashes in stuff and buy pick locks. Just because we are really thieving type.
{for 5000gp it would be 15-16 keys from Skriek, who is in our village. just roleplaying a bit}
After some journey to west Ireth hits cavern of chaos.
D1: tension room –rats.
D2: Ireth claims she hears some buzzing in distance but we keep on plan to ascend as quickly as possible.bees
D3- nothing to mention.
D4- we hit the herbs. We use pickaxe to arrange stat bushes and find stoma-alraunia square.
We drop to D5 to get food from ratlings and do the test fighting – goblin falls with ease.
We pick up some herbs for training and continue descend
“I’ll help you, mistress”
“Keep your hands away from herbs. I am planning to eat some of them, human”
Well, at least we already pushed herbalism to 65 speeding up harvesting.
D6: quick run from stairs to stairs.
D7: We enter big room just to find tairs down five steps away.
D8: we found ring of ice and pick strange item.
D9: tension room –some gnolls give cloak of adornment +6 to appearance.
D10: The famous dwarven city.
“Just go ahead and keep shouting “Give way to famous elven hero!””, whispers Ireth.
“But…”
“Do as you told or you’ll be dead as that orc of your’s”
So I go and shout.
Dwarven shop has tower mithril shield (+9, +2), girdle of carrying, fireproof blanket.
We found out we have leather armor of order. Nice addition to alignment manipulation.
We cash in some ant gems ending on 10k, and decide not to start dwarven stat training because of chance to nail second precrown.
We switch take smith of forgery. And put ourselves locking doors behind.
Dwarf smith knocks on door: “That used to be my house, arwenamin.”
Ireth: “Just without familiarities. You can simply leave the gifts next to door and my servant will sort them out.”
Dwarf: “What a f..?”
Ireth: “I really start doubting if you are noble enough to have a guests like me. Soira, check his family tree and take the keys from our apartments.”
Ireth at her best, nothing to say… Well, dwarf decides no to make much problems, except we can enter and leave our new house only via lockpicking.
We also read scroll of peace to eradicate some stupid problems (d10 it is).
Finally after some Ireth does some washing and dressing we visit dwarven elder.
Dwarf elder: “Good to see, heroine.”
Ireth: “Good, no actually I do not see nothing goods. There is chorus singing my name and gifts for worlds savior.”
Dwarf elder: “You should prove your valor. Bring me hydra’s head for my collection of rare animals.”
Ireth: “Sure, my servant can hunt down a swamp animal. He claims to be sort of scout anyway”
Elder: “Not a swamp hydra. I said rare animal.”
Ireth: “And the prize would be…”
Elder: “I will enlightened all your belongings”
Ireth chuckles: “We got… eight blessed scrolls of identify already. We are NOT interested.”
We get back to herb picking.
Some pathetic ogre magus with useless ice bolts gives us level15-dodge/detect traps/climbing/swimming(in case we need). Talent - good shot.
As we reach line of need for morgia we head back to dwarftown .Bless identify and than bless uncurse our stuff.

We sell unwanted items/ herbs and check up remaining upper part of caverns.
We found S3: another quite boring level I think we will out cats in this side branch.
Ireth kills the bees, does fights in arena. Fight 18 spawns wererat and his minions leaves us worn boots.
Ireth puts them on and energy check shows them to be uncursed, so we bless them.
We get down again, sell stuff, wield identify orcish spear of devastation. Rustproof that one.
We check in our belongings 50k in gold + 60k equivalent in stoma, which we picked while harvesting stat herbs.
“You could harvest more herbs, Ireth, god gifts might be good.”
“I’ve got a brighter idea, servant. Take a pickaxe.”
“But we agreed on you doing mining. Helps with strength, remember?”
“I also do remember some of you writings. You haven’t thought I can’t read in your pathetic language, have you? Anyway now it is time to put some work if you want me ever to forgive you.”
I actually doubt her being able to forgive anything, but I just take pickaxe ant start working on D9.
As Ireth gets bored by taling out random mobs disturbing hard job of mine, she gives some details of our plan.
Since we have already corroded pickaxe making it cheaper to repair and blessed it and elf has 100 in gemology and dwarfs like gems and she is so damn beautiful (appearance 28 with stuff)… That should lead to ore and a profit.
Some repairs later. We recheck theory and it seems to be working.
{notice – never tried that before (gemology without mining) it will be educational at least for myself. It is of course scumming tactics. Nobody is perfect. Well, Ireth claims to be…}
Some random mobs and waked up giants later we reach level16 – healing/2xdodge/courage
Some more mining and killing later large kobold drops very ordinary ring which makes Ireth very excited. Just because she autoamaticaly recognize to be djinni summoning one.
We put that one safe at home and recheck gems. We decide to keep uncursed ones in order to dip in 19 heaps, that way we are selling water for ridiculous cash.
And system works very fine, gemology at 100 really gives away ridiculous amount of stones.
We bless 10crystals of knowledge and get learning at 30 {I was under imprssion they work until 25 but having learning potential at 42 might be helpful}
As D9 gets to open we switch to D8 enclose some doors and dig rest.
Finally as Ireth starts approaching level 17 and I get really exhausted we bless our heaps of precious stone. Just for interst we have two 19 heaps of aquamarines and so on.
Final cash is 250.000 in pure dwarvish gold.
Ireth sacrifices some stoma first as we do not need that much. Than we add 150k of gold.
Kill some pure dwarf and pray.
Well, Ayssia might have remember something we don’t as prayers remain unheard.

Since all the mining is really killing I will stop here.
Question is:
Once we are screwed with dwarven quest, shouldn’t we finish arena on ourselves. Reward is good. Tactics are great. I think in both cases we get shot for pyramid, as we might get hydra on top and seeing invisible is good for last arena fight.

P.S. Ireth told me to send this dwarf maid her portrait with the report so you could admire her.
P.P.S. I think it reveals her inner self very well.

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

Should we go for arena champions ourselves or (no) we should wait for certain quest?
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/7/2007 at 23:57 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5833 days, 2 hours, 46 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 at 06:22 (GMT -5)

"Certain quest"? o_0 This is the spoilers forum.
IMO, no, you shouldn't wait. I'd congratulate anyone for getting a hydra as a dwarven quest's monster, so I think you should just proceed and gain some time. Unless it just comes at you.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5147 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 06:09 (GMT -5)

If this was me, I'd still wait on doing arena, quest reward is quite good, if I remember correctly. Pyramid then TotHK upper levels (or even all of it) will generate a hydra, given time.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

Plus, despite getting no reward, the replacement quest of Thrundarr for arena quest could very well be yet another bloody hydra.

I think Arena was after ogre tribe? Then it's the Arena you get blessed potions of extra healing for...
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3605 days, 8 hours, 51 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 07:35 (GMT -5)

Arena is after the ogre tribe mission.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/8/2007 at 07:36 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 08:54 (GMT -5)

iirc, you get same reward if you do the original quest or random kill replacement.
i've been in such situations few times.

since i'm starting playing official pol result is 6:3 for doing arena straight after pyramid.

from roleplay reasons i've had problems imagining why on earth arrogant elf should do dwarf quest at all. Which means if hydra is not generated fast enough i probably skip dwarven quests at all.

p.s. i've got heap of crystals of health heard these being good while blessed.
gives at least 50-100 hp i hope.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/8/2007 at 08:55 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 12:42 (GMT -5)

Part VI Gifts ungiven

Council did have some reservations, but majority advised not to rely on dwarfs and their gifts.
If you remember we went to rest at the moment Ireth went absolutely close to Ayssia, moved to N- and prayed.
Well, we returned to altar and sucked one gold piece just to check if we managed to lost our piety in short time.
Nope, Ireth is still extremely close. And no gifts from above after praying.
That can mean only one thing. Our count on artifacts – one precrown, two si, end of deal – is wrong. The only places we haven’t explored for good are some locked/dark rooms in village dungeon and big room.
Ireth claims she haven’t felt any surge of powers. I… I am pretty sure I would have noticed such a thing in village dungeon. Big room… well, we saw stairs down and ran like mad towards them.
Despite spending only around 20 rounds in big room we already got some blink dog madness there. (they are chasing me in this story, I am pretty sure).
Some of these yellow dogs there nuts, but we are reaching 100 count of their dead heads so that might be pretty normal.
Since we haven’t got much to loose we check big room. Ireth cleverly uses stairs to drag and slay dogs in small portions. Once their population is at control we start exploring level.
Somewhere in middle we see strange yellow thing. I guess it is mimic and we don’t have any means of paralysis resistance. So Ireth shoots an arrow. Nope, it is an item.
We slowly make our way towards it through wererat and his minions and find…
Yes, oh yess…
Bracers of war [+8, +4] {Dx+8}
It causes your wounds to regenerate.
It is very good at scoring critical hits in melee. It grants luck.
It grants resistance to stunning.
It grants resistance to death attacks.
It grants resistance to confusion attacks.

I start making some prayers to RNG. C’mmon, RoDS, bracers of war in trade of what? Dwarven quests, piss on them.
While I make some dances of joy, Ireth does some killing bringing her really close to level 17.
We return back to dwarftown sacrifice good extra over absolutely close, kill one more friendly dwarf (upstairs of course) and leave for a pyramid.
We reach that yellow stupid thing being less than 800xp points away from level 17.
First greater mummy (actually lv2 of pyramid) gives us level up - 3xhealing killing it/detect traps/2xliteracy(100 now)/courage. Sweet, we have 7 rises. We need tactics or we will start rising haggling pretty soon.
Ireth prays and gets…

black tome of Alsophocus
It contains the essence of Chaos and Corruption.

Nope. Just kidding. It really was:
Robes of resistance (-4, -4) [+3, +12] {To+5}
It modifies your toughness attribute by +5.
It grants resistance to fire.
It grants resistance to acid.
It grants resistance to shock attacks.

I won’t put a poll on question if Rich and Naughty Goddess is planning to kill us in a wicked way. We are all sure the answer is yes, right?
Well, Ireth manages to steal ring of invisibility from very next mummy. I feel we are sort of doomed.
Upper level is no match fro blessed spear of devastation combined with invisibility.
We get no hydra, but Ancient Mummy Wrapping and ankh makes nice additions.
We head for bandit village and put climbing at 4d5, taking practical lessons. We try improving stealth but we just move from 1d3 to 1d3 couple of times. Thieves are thieves even at guild.
After some walking in a healthy air Ireth arrives at arena for famous fight No.20.
We put on AMW and get… lousy troll, named Ripclaw. Fight was funny but pretty ones sided.
Ireth: “we ar going to give golden sword to an old drunkard? Within a week it will end being sold to innkeeper.”
Me: ”Tss… We got rustproofed spear, which is at least twice as good. And money wise it is cheaper than “Disarm traps” we just bought at guild, and that is three skills plus some weapon marks. Just don’t let him know how good the deal is.”
She likes that sort of deal and we change gladius for training.
We also pick smithing for bloody 5000gold and decide to make dive down.
D11 - non tension room full of outlaw leaders
D12 - |Ireth feels tension and gets excited. Vault is full of jellies and room is just old werewolf and hiss summons. No problems, no serious gain.
D13 – we found forge, get mixed tension room, find stone golem guarding “Moon sickle”. Well, dwarf and his stupid hydra saved us for second precrown.
D14 features white altar and yet another mixed tension room featuring dark elven princess.
D15 – we found ourselves in animated forest. Bye, bye some more dwarven quests.
D16- we slay some chaos servants, take a close look at sage’s wounds and leave him.
Well, I am sure I can talk Ireth in wishing for amulet of life saving. But we may just found one somewhere. Or get lucky by transforming amulets with “Moon sickle”. Wishes are too rare to waste them.
We enter Dh2 from below. We search a bit get swamp hydra (“wrong one”) extra scroll of magic map. We use magic mapping to find stairs, enter DH 1 from below. Since we already entered it from above we know position of stairs. DH1 features tension room and we are not crazy enough.
Ireth just uses wand of trap creation to make teleport shortcuts.

We return to dwarftown to recheck loot and find mithril spear of mayhem. Pay a visit to lonely isolated mystic but get no extra scrolls.
I pack some mountain climbing equipment and we move to Tomb of high kings.
Lv1: wer get pool and gorgon. Luckily we have some amulets of petrification resistance so we do not need to play with it seek’n’hide in darkness.
LV2: more herbs. Ireth reaches level 18 - dodge/3x climbing (100)t/3xdtect traps. Talent - keen shot. (Prerequisite to fast shooting line).
LV3: ants we have enough of ore and… Okay, honestly it is next to ideal place to hunt for hydra. Except Ireth has her own opinion about hold dwarfs request. I’d like to translate, but my phrasebook is not good enough. It is something about noices from his mouth being worser than sounds from over end of digestive tact, only shorter and very refined.
LV4: We get sort of tension room equivalent on cavernous levels bunch of aggressive guys of one type with no walls around them. Since we very tactically use stairs revenants don’t have much of chance.
LV5: second gorgon
Lake we use wand of cold and weight control. Skeletal king is undead so and our spear of devastation is already blessed.
Back way: on lv4 troll king moves Ireth to level 19:
2xdetect traps(100), 2xsmithing,3x courage. I’m not sinking at tactics yet since it is 80+1. good enough for me.
We slay remaining revenants dor experience and weapon marks.
LV3: we get, bless and eat lightning lizard corpse.
LV1 I talk Ireth into pool drinking (golden balls is very effective promise, indeed). We get:
-fate
+stun (remembering poor Buzog I won’t say it is useless anymore)
-teleport control(we got three blinkies stocked in shops)
-dries off
Great isn’t it?
We make more walk on country side, rebuying one blink dog in village and regaining fate smile at puppy caves altar.
Since we have means to save Khelavaster, scroll of danger and are in need for certain stupid monster I decide it is time to open SMC. Ireth puts on ring of invisibility and we enter small cave.
We have blessed scroll of magic map and wand of teleportation readied but proceed to simple exploring and slaying anyone obstructing our way. They are not worse than opponents in arena after fight 20.
A bit late we found stairs down and proceed to unremarkable dungeon.

Ud1 – river, tension room with werewolf. We found forge and crystal helmet.
River isn’t much of problem with swimming, good hitpoints and regeneration.
Ud2 - really unremarkable.
Ud3 - pool.
Ud4 - black altar and forge.
Ud5 – boring.
Ud6 – forge.
Rest of dungeon very boring and no hydra.
After short pass we enter long forgotten High mountain village. We fetch scroll, sweep out prison and buy off shop getting nothing except cloak of invisibility.
All stuff cost less than 2000gp so I guess we will force restocks in here.
Back to ud3 doing pool drinking:
- water snakes
- younger(I haven’t even noticed Ireth getting a couple extra years somewhere, but she is very happy about this)
-poisoned sip
-gained death resist (in case we take off bracers? But why we should ever do so?)
-dooming, wise option is to remove it before continuing drinking bur Ireth is too eager to get golden ball.
-appearance down a point
-lost luck
-golden ball, at last we qualify for frog quest, I just imagine if we found right frog I am the one who will do kissing part, let’s hope poor thing is bisexual
-lost stun resistance
-lost acid resistance
-lost poison resistance
And here we gain… paralysis resistance. This is the one I’ve been looking for. So we stop here, no more pool drinking.
We head back to dwarftown regaining poison resistance from some stupid spiders.
We use our good standings with Ayssia for 1gp sac doom removal.
We count a cash and buy a point of charisma. Why? Cause we can… and Ireth by no doubt wants to be a perfect.
Ireth also decides to do more arena fighting. She likes crowd shouting her name so much.
While she s doing job, I create couple of escape traps in case we need running. Because we are low on recharging abilities for our wand of teleportation.
We make very technical execution of greater water elemental by using single crystal of darkness. Crowd loves it. Ireth is very happy.
Couple of dark elven princess later Ireth hits level 20 – courage/tacticsx6.
Somewhere in the arena Ireth manages to pick potion of cure corruption.
Finally Dak refuses to organize more fights and gets gold piece between his eyes.
As we step to pick up his stuff crowd shouts “Ireth Oronar for arena master.” She asks about salary but it is way too low. Well, not much can stand comparison to mining and blessing gems. Especially if mining is done by someone else. At least we get extra scroll of peace.
We go down for another point of charisma via dwarf trainer and on way up I manage to stumble pushing Ireth straight into cave tiger.(mistype on directions that is). It dies and even I hear some roar.
“What was that?”
“We just get invitation for more experience.”
“Experience is good. We could work on my haggling skills.”
“Sure, mistress.”
Well, I miss that ring. If we get that far... And since I do believe it is possible to get away from fight with one cat, we will try to keep count low.

Since somewhere between arena and dwarftown we picked ring of fish we will check big mother dragon.
Dragon lair: We speak to her, and Ireth has some doubts of how legal is that pile of loot. So we use some crystals of dark, amulet of balance and marked plan to pick eternium halberd (mine guide says “wyrmlance” apeears as runed halberd but in my experience it is simply halberd 50s), potion of gain attributes and some minor stuff like unknopwn potions.
We do inform baby dragon skipping part about our problems with his mommy.
We bless ring of ice and head towards certain tunnel.

Above darkforge: tension room appears to be undead and spear does wonders. We also bash first golem without problems.
In bad case we still got 10quareels of construct slaying and on demand teleport.
We tackle rest of golems using tactical retreats to lessen fire damage on our items.
We fetch money, crown of science, weapon and armor rooms.
The only good things are dagger of hunting and…
jet-black glaive "Long Sting" (+4, 7d3) [+4, +0] {Pe+6} (+6 spd)
It grants resistance to paralyzation.

And I just called that good.
Few steel horrors later we hit level 21-tacticsx7
Talent-quick shot.
Dwarven artificer: “I aM sO iMpReSsEd WiTh YoUr BeAuTy…”
Ireth: “I am so unimpressed with your speaking style.”
I manage to stop her hand with well-aimed gold coin at very last second.

This time I have two questions for honorable village council.

First we need smithing. Smithing needs anvil. Anvils are found on dead smiths.
Which one?
Artificer is promising deadly fight. We got some arrows of slaying and thunder. And some wands. But we have some big fights in our near future. Do we need one more?
Dwarven smith… We already took his house, and he can repair pickaxes. And we got one, two… only five to spare. In worst case we can hunt for dwarven chaos knights in darkforge or lure some dwarfs from dwarftown.
So…advice is really needed. I mean if you have opinion besides yes or no, give it to me.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

Shoul Ireth Oronare get anvil from (yes) artificer or (no) dwarven smith?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

Second: we have done most of minor things and next step is?

Tower of eternal flames? We could probably do it. I have two potions of blindness with picture of bad old wyrm on them. And some wands(double cold and acid) and ring of ice and crystals of health and nice spear.
And I am not keen on doing this.

Another option is jump into rift.
Pros: library, chances for hydra. Hydra is low interest since we pissed on all dwarf quests we could. Books are good with learning at 30+. And we got a heap of crystals of power too.
Cons: Item destruction, lots of nasty monsters, on my count we approaching first corruption. And I do not want getting stifle muscles down there. Bringing in means of corruption removal is also out of question.
Once again extended opinions are very welcomed.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

What should come next: (yes)ToEF or (no) rift and library?
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/8/2007 at 12:46 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 14:00 (GMT -5)

Man, I love this thread! Awesome job, Soirana - most entertaining ADOM-related post I have ever read!

I voted for the artificer and rift (I believe one can never be too prepared for the ToEF).

Some general advice / suggestions:

1. Have you cleared out the graveyard yet?

2. Have you decided what to do with Khelevastar yet? One way or another, I would be sorely tempted to complete the water temple before the ToEF.

I am seriously thinking of starting a thread like this myself ... although it has been ages since I last played ADOM.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

1. no. I made some stupid oath for my games. first see portal than speak about it. Portal tends to be below Khely so we move to point 2.

2. Not exactly. I have wish so i probably save the sage. Or put a poll on that. Just it would be to predictable.
The problem is - without concentration i do not find myself in high need of water orb.
That means i have very hard time remembering last time i used it for healing. I just tend to keep myself on high piety:)
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/8/2007 at 14:14 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4962 days, 13 hours, 59 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

My suggestions: artificer followed by rift. Then (if all goes well) you can trade in the Weird Tome, and with a few spellbooks in your backpack, you can decide to wish for concentration and slay Khelly.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

Part VI Playing with fire

It is first time I have some doubts about council decision. To put poor elven girl against guy who has four-five attacks per round each reaching one hundred points of damage? Just because of few stupid pickaxes?..
Well, we started day with some preparation work. First we checked our piles of things in dwarftown for anything useful. We also bought a point of charisma.
Second, we rechecked HMW shop. Big find – second pair of seven league boots. It will save me big effort. It is not that easy to catch up 7lequebooted elf in wilderness even if you are decent scout.
Another way could be me running with 7LB with Ireth on hands. Whatever my opinion is on this options, her decision was “no”.
We also returned to eastern part of valley to milk some beggars for booze. The one in village appeared to be useless as even after feeding him 1000gp in portions of 50 he was still onlky making random rumors. In bandit village we also gave up pretty soon as our count on killed outlaws started growing to fast.
On our back way to dwarven artificer we met a couple gangs of ravaging barbarians and made some arrow milking dances. Big gain – one arrow of penetration. No, that was not ironic.
We also got spelbook of darkness. First and very useful spell Ireth has picked. Still we have 20+ crystals of darkness…
Well, let me remember we are going against guy who sees in dark and is very capable to kill us in one round especially if he lands a couple of criticals. We… merchants do have some hard times in damage dealing. And if our girl is doing fine that is mainly because she keeps bashing everyone with 5d8+6 spear.
So that is not a fair fight. Normally I would advice shooting an arrow artificer, run to pool room and put some water barrier to stop his advance.
Unluckily he is already in corridor leading to pools and it is so narrow. So Ireth gentlky pushes him towards the water (basically stands next to him until he moves and than moves to opened square, so we step by step move stupid dwarf to his death place.) And then teleports via wand leaving one water square between her and Kherab.
She takes a heavy crossbow loads in some quarrels of thunder. Miss. Dwarf stares at water, at Ireth and remains on other side, shouting stupid war cries and shaking his warhammer. Good luck, stupid thing.
Next quarrel bounces of heavy dwarf’s armor. And another. Third pushes some damage in and check his stats. DV – 25 , good we will land a lot of hits. PV - 35 and we get 2d6+30 dmage on regular bolts. Great. We finish thunder rounds with dwarf unscratched and he has picked up all our missiles. Great. Time for arrows of darkness. Miss. No harm, no harm…
On a shot eighteen we Ireth scores perfect critical moving dwarf straight to moderate wounded status. Unluckily arrows of darkness are already over, so stupid tough guy is still picking up our ammo.
While I keep cursing myself, Ireth loads our main hope arrows of slaying. 4 pieces.
Yeah. Blessed of course. Dwarf goes to severely hurt, still severely, third shot brings him down to critical and fourth… Finishes him off. Well, we still got that arrow of penetration…
We cross water to pick up anvil and…
“Liar, and you call yourself scout?”
“Cool down, Ireth… Majesty, we got the stuff and if he would have a chance that certainly…”
“Remember lesson about criticals?”
I nod my head as spear of devastation is dangerously close to my eyes.
“You told me criticals are twice as good as regulars.”
“Yes, mistress, it is common belief.”
“So how comes we landed 5 criticals doing around 35 over dwarfs protection and killed guy with over 300 hitpoints.”
She got only worse after boosting her learning with crystals.
“We will fix that, mistress, and put your name for this discovery.”
She takes away a spear, but as we reach dwarftown I got new nasty hard job as a reward of lies – smithing.
After week of very hard work I get:
diadem of beauty [+7,+6+]{Ap+7}
adamantium girdle [+7,+6]
rustproof orcish spear of devastation (+7,5d8+11)[+2,0] (beats down good bunch of artifacts if you ask me, except the indestructible part of course)
black dragon hide gauntlets(-2,0)[+7,+6]
With that on normal Ireth has 102/47.
Luckily we got enough ore from ants and mining for gems.
“Looks good, your majesty, right?”
“Looks tough armor, but… With all that I look like scrapyard queen. Why couldn’t we use only adamantium or only mithril?”
I assure her that all armor quite fast will look identical. Dirty and bloody and for walks in city… she might use some less protective stuff.
She mumbles something about lesser beings not being understand needs of elves and we venture to recheck dwarven shop as while I was smithing it managed to restock.
New wares provides as with magic writing set.
We also bless a couple potions of potential strength and turn some gold into training.

After short trip we go into read hot tower. We got inner fire resistance (fire beetles I guess checked with potion of insight), robes of resistance, ring of The High Kings. And ring of ice and three major healing potions.
TF1: Ireth opens tension room with some micxed stuff –elementals, beetles and a giant. No problems here.
Tf2-3: boring, no ancient dragons, no fire giant kings.
Tf4: greets us with fire giant king, we check for quarrels of giant slaying but Ireth deals with big angry guy with her resmithed spear. We are so low on recharge that I must make most way inside the temple with a pickaxe. As clever guy I also make some niches to hide from energy blasts.
As we bash through final wall Ireth puts on cloak of invisibility and takes down a couple very smart chaos servants. Someone starts working on our mind and we retreat into the tunnel.
Some daemons and elementals goes after us in blind search. Ireth beats life out of them, but we don’t see a Wyrm.
Ireth sneaks inside the temple again and stabs one of the pet drakes surrounding Ancient Chaos Wyrm. As little ones brain litters the floor, the big one finally starts chasing us.

We finally get the wyrm in tunnel Ireth skillfully eradicates a couple stupid mobs between our archenemy and us.
Instead of some mighty attack we throw a potion. As glass shatters some acidic vapor gets into Wyrms old small eyes blinding him.
Ireth makes step ahead and land her spear into Wyrm’s body. He is already severely hurt and panicking. Except he doesn’t see the way out and rushes straight into elven girl. Heavy head bashes into an old pathetic shield (the same from dwarven shop), strong short legs claw Ireth but ll smithed armor holds. We get… 17 points of damage and some corruption. Pathetic effort.
One more swing and wyrm is already in critical condition. This time he smells the right way, but with scven league boots one Ireth catches him in a moment.
This time we miss and Wyrm runs into Ireth again. But armor still holds and sje lucks only slightly scratched.
Elven hand raises trustful orcish spear and stabs straight through Wyrm’s scale, thropugh his old and purple heart.
As Ireth picks up remains of Wyrm and Orb I pick her level 22skill raises - 2xtactics(100)/5xsmithing.
We sneak out of tower ASAP.
On the way to our village we stop for lunch break and I read scroll of uncursing on Wyrm’s body.
“I thought it was just rotting.”
“Rotting is just a curse of Mother Gaya. Than the organic items get…”
“Spare my ears of that druidish nonsense. ”
I also won’t tell disgusting details of events which happened after we delivered Wyrm’s corpse to our druid. I guess you all saw as she checked druid’s pockets just in case he was hiding more potions of cure corruption. I also hope not many have seen as ireth checked some natural places in druids body. It was very sad. And gave us no extra potions.

Once we are through big job next poll is minor one.
I do now that area is skipped often. But I also believe main goal of this game is have to fun. Victory of any sort is only secondary.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

Should we pay visit to minotaur maze: yes or no?
Yes  No
Check results

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

I have to vote no to the maze. It serves no purpose whatsoever and isn't remotely fun (well, not for me anyway). I say on with the caverns of chaos!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 13:32 (GMT -5)

As i made some thinking on current situation it is actually right time to ask very serious question.

i do think pros and cons are very clear.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

Should Ireth Oronar save the dying sage: yes or no?
Yes  No
Check results

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 13:41 (GMT -5)

I voted yes for saving Khelevastar. The only other thing I can think of wishing for is concentration but I think the game will be more challenging and fun without boosting Ireth's already considerable prowess with a multitude of spells.

Besides, won't their be more profit to be had in saving a great sage? ;)
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5670 days, 1 hour, 23 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 17:37 (GMT -5)

Would you determine the right and wrong levels of the maze from the trap types, or do it the old fashioned way of toughing it out? My last couple of games, I've found the maze to be almost easy to do and very worthwhile just for the potions alone, although my characters might have been a bit more powerful than an elven merchant. Last time I happened to find the right steps down everytime and descended straight to maze:7. The big guy hits very hard and is fast, but you should be able to outrun him with 7LBs. Nice DV/PV you got, too.

If possible, the sage ought to be saved. I always do everything else there is to be done first and only let him die if wishes or AoLS don't show up.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/10/2007 at 17:41 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 21:52 (GMT -5)

maze: trap types sure.

Khelly: i've got RoDS stored in dwarftown.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5147 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 03:41 (GMT -5)

Yes to sage, not for the immediate benefits, and certainly not because she is goodie-goodie, but for the possible long-term effect.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 at 03:50 (GMT -5)

Part VII Saving and killing

We start day playing with amulets and potions of raw chaos. Just in case we can save wish.
Ireth: “You must be pretty influential in the village.”
Me: ”Not really.”
Ireth: “Nine questions to a council nine positive answers. Or do you think they don’t really care?”
Me: “Some votings were pretty close and…”
Some drops of potion get on elven hands.
Ireth “Watch what are you doing, you – agaryulnaer… Wait… that is good. Very good. And very elfish.”
I think so as Ireth just scored her first corruption - extreme thin and nimble or 6 points of free DV.

Once we amulets are over we descend to D16 summon djinni, get AoLS and donate it to dying sage.
Khelavaster: “There are five orbs, four underground…”
Ireth: “Yes, and fifth in my tool slot. Get away from stairs, lesser one.”
Khelavaster: “I’ d still like to help you with some…”
Ireth: “Good idea. Soira, check his backpack for useful items.”
I do respect Khelly but I also would not try arguing with Ireth in such situation.

So we get teleport book, wand of digging, some ultrahealing potions and scrolls of chaos resistance.
Ireth supposes we should strip sage from his robe and sandals, but I let him go with few drops of dignity.
On d17 we found some more herbs and blessed spelbook. Ireth tries that one and fails four times in row. So we put it safe upstairs with book of teleportation and SoCR.
On D18 we met dwarven graveyard and some bees.
Ireth switches to dagger of hunting, but five(!) wight and wraith corpses fail to move her toughness up. Luckily some ghul drops second spellbook of teleportation.
We locate bees in south west corner. Luckily hive is already empty, ireth shoots down the bees and picks up royal jelly.
Rest of guys are quite easy with such a perfect blessed spear.
Wed enter d19 just to hear buzzing sound and get more royal jelly. Both of jellys actually fails to increase Ireth’s beauty. We also bang at dwarven portal. There is no way to open it so we go back to dwarftown.

Ireth: “You blocked lower levels of caverns, right?”
Dwarven elder: “I got another quest for you, heroine.”
Ireth: “Let me guess… Eternium golem? Fairy dragon? No I know, mutated rabbit found bellow portal.”
Elder: “No. We have some problems in another graveyard. Slay the evil necromancer and save soul of our…”
Ireth: “Do I look like bloody maiden of dwarfs? Get away from that lever or it will be dwarven graveyard right here.”
Me: “Exuce me, your majesty.”
Ireth: “Stay away, I am slightly busy.”
Me: “Mistress, we could dig up some great TREASSSURE graves.”
Ireth: “Great treasure? Where is this stupid graveyard?”

Before hitting wilderness again we identify spellbook as one of magic missile. Ireth tries reading and it is gone with no spell knowledge gained. Well, with 25 in willpower, 31 in learning, 24 in mana and 1100 in literacy. I always thought elves are good with books.
Dwarven graveyard: We alternate dagger of hunting for wights and spear for rest. Couple more corpses don’t give toughness too.
Ireth hits level 23 and her dodge still sits dead at 60.
So she gets 2xdidsrm traps and smithingx5.
Ireth follows my advice and we enter Nonnak chamber invisible stab necromancer to death, retreat, turn visible beat remaining stuff and fetch artifacts.
Rather boring.
On surface we mark great treasure graves with 1gp. Just in case we need fast dig –teleport plan.
Ireth puts on cloak of invisibility, eats until satiation, waits until it passes to regain speed and we start digging. With wand to spare one round of climbing from pits. With sages wand that is.
First grave - lich king. Ireth steps back and sends him out with undead slaying ammo. After that we pick up stuff and take care of summons.
Second - master lich, we have to chase it as after couple hits lich panicks.
Third - emperor lich, Ireth steps back and lets bow do talking.
Last two graves gave us master lichs. No problem here.
Big finds gorgeous adamantium sacle mail(Ireth is so excited about it) and medium crystal shield which is slightly better than our current one.

T is time to keep promises and head to maze. We fetch old eleven witches phial and get ambushed by warband of stone giants on mountains. ?They drop some corpses moving strength up to 24.
As we enter forgotten city we feel fine. Just kill mazelord and enter maze.
This is a time I walk on coward. We have 172/45. That is bad we are under 300hp. 293 to be exact. May be that is okay for elf.
Ml1: found stairs very fast.
Ml2: detect first trapand looks like we in right level.
Ml3: very fast stairs down to a wrong level.
Some time later we found other stairs but that appears to be false level again. Well, as far as I know no level here has three staircases down.
We head back to ml2 and appears I mixed covered pit types. That was wrong level. Bottom line don’t rely on pits in trap calculations.
As ancient minotaur gives corpse I tell Ireth tyo munch it. We gain conf and lose point in willpower, but since we worked on potential with morgia’s overflow before that is gain in long term.
After 80 precent of level is searched we fid right level 2 of maze.
Ml2-very unexiciting and boring. First stairs lead to false level again and we have very long job finding other stairs.
From fourth time of asking we hit right level 3.
We search quite a time and Ml4. You guessed it, wrong one.
Back to Ml3we found second stairs on very last unexplored square.
On real Ml4 couple mazelords later Ireth reaches level24 (dodge still sits on 60) - smithingx7. Talent - that was hard one-defensive fighter. Potent aura might been good, but with memories of that spellbook of magic missile... maybe next time.
We hit stairs and right Ml5.
We met first minotaur mage here, we try invisibility (as my guidebook doesn’t mark them as ones capable to see invisible), but that doesn’t work. My experience also tells they can drain stats at darkness. Nasty mages.
In true elvish manner Ireth shoots him down.
Unluckily after getting through illusionary wall a bit later we met two minotaur mages. One is next to us and drains elven girl for two points of charisma and point of mana immediately.
After exploring all the level again and taking down total of foru mages we find stairs down. Right one stairs. No more false levels left?
Well, ml6 greets us with minotaur mage and blinding trap on first step. We pray for Ayssia and shot down the bastard.
One more mage later we found very last stairs.
I immediately zap monster detect wand, unluckily no magic map to spare.
Minotaur mages are plentiful here. Despite of double confusion resistance Ireth gets in problems couple of times and use two prayers to clear her mind.
As we start approaching minotaur emperor’s position second corruption kicks in.
Guess which corruption ireth got:(
Since we had thick gauntlets readied, it was stiff muscles. Sure. And guess if we have dared to bring potions of cure corruption into the maze. Sure not.

As we saw some opening in narrow tunnels and minotaur mage I underastand we are in big fights position.
Acid wands take care about couple of guarding mages and we get emperor in sight.
We take good look at him. Pretty brutal with his huge axe and speed of 148.
I start doubting outrunning part. And we never were good fair fighters.
Ireth covers long tunnel between her and emperor in webs and while he makes his way through magic webs we zap him with wand of cold. He still gets close with decision to fight to death in blind rage. On bright side he is severely injured already.
We teleport a bit. Create more webs and try unerring quarrels but the bounce of his armor. So we thank RNG for scroll of charging from some minotaur mazelord. Bless it, read over wand of cold (web friendly, good damage, perfect choice here).
Emperor didn’t manage to cross this set of webs.

Well, big guy took 2charges of webbing and seven of cold. Big fight wasn’t it?
We use blessed potion of cure corruption he dropped to recover from stiffness.
Ireth investigates remains of big minotaur for another PoCC, cursed potion of strength, book of Knock and corpse of course.
We teleport resurface.

Real life forces me to stop here.
General line is pretty clear – highway down towards casino.
Small question is shouldn’t we eat that corpse.
Keep in mind – corruption is not yet a problem, but the day is 85.
Stat gains are good but given current stats not 100 percent.
Till next time.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)

Should Ireth eat the minotaur emperor: yes or no?
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/12/2007 at 03:51 (GMT -5) by Soirana]
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 at 11:08 (GMT -5)

Just awesome! I am seriously loving this thread, Soirana! I voted no. I don't believe in unnecessary corruption and stat improvements can be easily achieved through other, safer means.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

"I am seriously loving this thread"

I seriously love*
Don't use the McDonalds slogan BS. You don't use Present Cont. here with like, love, hate etc.
Removing corruptions isn't exactly that hard to achieve, either.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

Removing corruptions may not be that hard to achieve, but neither is improving stats. And, IMHO, the cost of removing corruptions outweighs the cost of improving stats through means other than eating corrupting corpses.

Oh, and I will continue to express my enthusiasm for Soirana's saga any way I please. However, your anally retentive advice is noted.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 at 13:59 (GMT -5)

I just don't understand what I offended you with. Well, if criticizing your grammar did it, well, as those kids with their stupid T-Shirts would say: "Born to be a grammar Nazi" is me.
And there are good corruptions, even some other ones than the thin and nimble stuff.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

I don't have a problem with constructive feedback. So, for example, if you had posted something like "Hey, man, technically it isn't correct grammar to use loving in that way - just a friendly heads-up" then I would have been fine with that.

But when you post something like "Don't do that", as if you are the internet grammar police, then you just come across as an asshole who doesn't have enough emotional intelligence to articulate your obsessive compulsive nitpicking in a non-abrasive manner.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 03:31 (GMT -5)

Back on topic ... yes, there are a few good corruptions, but the vast majority are bad. Soirana was fortunate enough to get arguably the only truly benevolent corruption first-up. I just don't see the point of indulging in unnecessary corruptions when there are other perfectly safe methods for improving stats.
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5441 days, 1 hour, 39 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 04:03 (GMT -5)

I agree, the corruptions are not worthwhile. Or, as the kids in my neighborhood would say, "Don't be eatin' on da bull-man!"

Apologies to BattleBunny for compounding the error of an improper continuative by adding a misplaced preposition.
You pick up the worn boots.
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 04:09 (GMT -5)

Not to mention the stats of Ireth are high enough to win the game as they are.

In an international forum as this one, being overly critical with people's grammar and spelling in general is pretty uncalled for, Battle bunny.

I mean, we're here to talk about ADOM, for Christ's sake, not get into arguments over the correct use of whatever "loving" is (In German, I know all these special grammar terms, promise!).
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 at 05:08 (GMT -5)

Eeh, my post was constructive criticism relative to me. And maybe this forum is nice and all but there is this forum where your intelligence is judged by your grammar. So all apologies to those who were offended.
<_<
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Go to page 1 2 3 4

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message: