Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Need help about curse/disease

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 5 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 7 hours, 27 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Lol I'll try a little more, my current farmer has a ton of luck and the bonus skill at each level is very cool. Currently the only negative point is that I lost a way to light torch, just hope I won't kill anything friendly in a dark area.

About the dog, yes I noticed I had to train it. That requires management and a lot of care but I still feel it adds fun. The dog level seems to not have any influence on monsters level unlike the level of my char.

What's not cool is that I have no way to get some stats about the dog. Well the game provides stats on speed and damage level but if that is possible we should also get some stats about health level and even the dog level.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 16:49 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

5929 days, 8 hours, 12 minutes and 32 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

You can see the dogs health with the "l"ook command, but only when standing adjacent to it. There is also a way to get the other stats of your pet with a tool available from the healer from the village elder quest after you show him some "mercy" (meaning you have to heal your dog - for example throwing healing potions).
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3118 days, 29 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

You need a Stethoscope for that kind of details, a blessed one gives everything you'd want to know (it will self-ID when used, up to the Blessed/Uncursed/Cursed status).
You can get one from either the healer or the mad doctor, if you already know what they want to teach you.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 10 hours, 54 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

There is a way, too.

Blessed Stethoscope can do stuff if you use ut.

But that is a hard item to find.

Unless you play a healer, they start with one...

By the way, I would try a dwarf healer first, because Trolls level really really slow, and healers heal fast enough anyway. He should start out with high toughness, and if you take the following talents hardy (+3hps) -> tough skin (+1PV) -> iron skin (+1PV) you can then choose mithril skin (+3PV). Then you might consider steel skin too, for another (+2PV). This way you should soon have 10PV, and this means that every monster attack against you must do over 10 damage to even scratch you. This will enable you to level up safely to 10 at least with starting equipment. If you level in the dungeon that changes every time you enter, you can do level 5-6 repeatedly and gather exp and probably decent items too. Just don't starve to death!

He will also start with detect traps, which you should apply a few times on every locked door you encounter. If no trap, kick it in. IF, then consider another way around...

Starting stethoscope is uncursed, you can see monster stats with it. But bless it with holy water and you get more information.
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 17:42 (GMT -5)

Alas, healers don't start out with a dog...

If you like companions you might also try a necromancer - they don't start out with a sucky dog neither, but can make lots of slaves from humanoid corpses...
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 18:50 (GMT -5)

Noob :
Yes but that's a very rough estimate also you get much more information about the monsters. Logically if the player can deduce armor of monsters and life level of monsters he should be able to deduce that for the pet.

Village elder quest? I wanderer all wilderness (except if there's more than one map of wilderness) and I haven't seen any village like that, well except if it is behind a flame tower.

Ok I quote this when I'll be able to identify this potion... and find this guy.

For your corpses suggestion, it lacks totally of poetry!! :-P

Maelstrom:
Dam where are all those guys in wilderness?? I explored it almost fully and don't see where I can find kind people, well one stop me enter the area, another refuse to speak with me until I'm a hero, another just sing me various songs, I couldn't enter there, won't even try enter a flame tower, gave up enter the wild town after got killed by an assassin with one char. No I don't see where any kind people can hide anywhere but in the first town. Teachers? I haven't see anybody willing teach me anything! Dam they hate me all!! :-D

Molach :
I pick you suggestion of dwarf first instead of troll, level up faster will be much more pleasant for a newbie player like me.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

EDIT : I just discovered that the bandit town is really a big key. My first experience here was just bad but this second attempt makes me see that it can be managed and there's at least a great shopkeeper here.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 19:34 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 5 hours, 42 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 19:57 (GMT -5)

There are three cities in the game, but the (arguably) most useful of the three isn't on the surface, but rather several levels deep in the main dungeon of the game. Rynt or Guth'Alak, after you fulfill their quests, will tell you which one the main dungeon is.

You should actually listen to the guy who sings you songs, as the songs contain a lot of hints - which are, of course, very hard to understand.

As for the old barbarian, well, become less chicken and more hero. Kill yourself some monsters!
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 20:13 (GMT -5)

Silfir : Cool nice hints, not too much detailled but some spoil I really need to undertsand a bit more that game beginning.

That said I took a conclusion too fast from a first exploration of the bandit town, a very fast death at first exploration. I just found it could be managed and there's cool thing here.

Guth'Alak still refuses talk me and Rynt quest seems not obvious at all and a long road. Well the point if that I don't progress for many reason, I'm a little stuck at level 6 and spend a lot of time at this point. But I feel that will change a little.

EDIT: Yeah I found the mad doctor!!! is there anyway to steal him a stethoscope? Ha ok I'll investigate that

Many many good thing from this bandit town. I also saw a bandit leader and about him a bard sing me I could seduce him, my character is a gorgeous female! :-D Another point to explore. ;-)

Nope I'm not out of topics, it's linked to questions I asked there!

Perhaps I just got another important key in bandit town there's an identify scroll to by. Not sure how my farmer could exploit it but that opens some hopes.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 20:19 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 5 hours and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 21:41 (GMT -5)

Guth'Alak and Rynt both offer you quests, but if you take one the other won't speak to you. Guth'Alak's quest is a little harder, so you might want to stick with the carpenter quest for now. It's also the best way to get the Healing skill.

Hotzenplot offers you a quest if you want to be evil. There's quite a few ways to be evil in the game, but usually it's best to be good or neutral. Bandit town obviously has some underhand opportunities... Try talking to Yergius, he can be handy for non-lawful characters.

For now you'll likely want to stay around Terinyo and the village dungeon, getting used to the controls and the monsters etc. When you feel ready venture out to the west - there are many more depths to explore.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

In fact I already met the healer, in level 4 of the south east cave. He refuses teach me until I show piety, well if this mean I need heal my dog or something else to learn healing... :-D Ok I'll investigate that, don't need more hint on this for now.

Yes my hot female charm didn't work on Hotzenplot he only offered 2 murder quests. Yergius? The green guy? He sold me a key that open many doors in the south east cave.

It's my second char that reach level 7 but this time it's more open, the only negative thing is that I discovered the bow I was using was cursed, ha well, I recently discovered I wasn't using the right weapon for my skill choice so by using the right one my chance to hit improved and I could took my chance on a shield, I have a climbing set, get back a set for lighting torch, has 7 or 8 herbs well use them is quite tough as I experiment with another char.

I can buy various interesting stuff, a bless water at fair price or it's a water potion, a light book or tome, eventually some equipments, an identify potion or scroll don't remember.

And also my dog just got moderately experimented and started hits 2 time per round.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/10/2008 at 15:31 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 17:00 (GMT -5)

The guy who sold you a key was Skriek. Yergius is the yellow guy.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5828 days, 1 hour, 17 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

Skriek is described as one who would gladly go to a more lawful settlement. If you want to attack some important people it might be good to fulfill it first...
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 18:33 (GMT -5)

Silfir : Ok probably a guy inside the big closed house, I haven't enter in this yet, a choice for caution.

Battle bunny : Weird I didn't noticed that, I remember something about him knowing if you have money or not and not useful to bother him if you don't have. Plus he sold me a key but for now that's all.

I won't do the murder thing, I prefer avoid evil char.

About that (evil/corruption), my dog got corrupted 2 times by a same trap but not in a row. Each time it level up few after. My guess is that for pet the effect is lost of experience. I didn't notice anything wrong with it. Look at it show nothing special, it seems increase in power "normally".

About pet, just after got blinded (one more time but 1st with this char) by a trap, this time I recovered fast from blind state and I got the nice surprise to see 2 dogs! Mine and a big dog. I had ton of bones and succeed to tame it.

So now I have 2 dogs but I don't think that this will be easy to manage. I'll try a little but I plan let one wait me in civilized town. Am I risking to lost it if I do that?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/10/2008 at 18:35 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Silfir
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

Basically, you can do anything you want in ADOM as long as it doesn't get you killed.

If it is indeed true that stepping into a corruption trap loses your pets experience, you have discovered a bit of information I've never heard of!

I don't get your obsession with those dogs, though. That may be due to the fact that one of my lifelong dreams is it to travel to Korea just so I can eat dog once in my lifetime. Yeah, I really hate dogs that much. :) (I make an exception for dogs that are family, though)
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 19:38 (GMT -5)

You must have had some traumatic experience as a child - probably your whole face is a mangled heap of bitemarks ;)
Some giant rats are supposed to be quite tasty, too. Maybe the Creator had tasted some of 'em himself...
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 at 20:18 (GMT -5)

No I can't say anything about the corruption effect on dogs, what was strange is that the second level up occurred too fast after the first and both was somehow close to both traps. Eventually a hint, no evidence.

That said get back don't come near to my dogs! Agree with nood go eat giant rats they seem tasty!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 23 hours, 54 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

If you want to see what that corruption trap does to your dog, make him walk over it repeatedly. You might be surprised to see the results :)

Maybe back up your savegame before that if you really want to. Backing up is OK in my opinion for experimenting different things.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 10:22 (GMT -5)

Come to think of it, in my last game I was walking about in the VD:2 level. Suddenly:

"You suddenly feel taint in your vicinity. You suddenly feel taint in your vicinity. You suddenly feel taint in your vicinity. You sense a soul in agony."

Then, as I turn around I get attacked by something that could resemble your dog after running it through that trap a few times.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 at 21:07 (GMT -5)

Ok this sentence is coming from that, I have it sometimes but the dogs still ok. It walk on the trap only 2 times.

Weird is anything to do? I suppose only a high level stuff like some "never seen" potion? :-(

I feel negative because I'm tired of the rain destroying everything from any scroll I find to any weapon, tools, even got cooking tool rusted.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 03:23 (GMT -5)

A hooded cloak will protect items worn from rain damage, and a waterproof blanket protects items in your backpack from any sort of water damage. These can be hard to find though.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 07:09 (GMT -5)

It seems that I have ton of destructive raining at some point of the game. That is utterly boring, in last game lost, I lost all weapons, I don't mentions the scrolls lost but also those I tried put in a safe place and stolen.

About this I'll try this :
- I can't identify any scroll yet it's useless keep them, the same for few tools I don't use for now. I'll also backup some weapons, about them I'll just cheat to identify those cursed or not, my own rule I add to the game.
- All this I'll put them in a room of one of the two wilderness village (so I hope protected by rain). As I already did that and got items stoled by villagers I'll place one of my 2 dogs or another pet, either above the stack of item either in the room door passage. I hope this will be safe.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/12/2008 at 07:10 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 10 hours, 54 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

I have eaten dog. In inland china. Tasted something between beef and pork.

Doalag: Later in the game you will find armors that do not rust. Higher metal, like that mithril rong mail Frodo wears. And you can perhaps find a blanket or something to put into your backpack so your carried stuff doesn't get wet either.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

The small cave, in which the monsters seem to get tough quite quickly, contains some useful stuff. Nothing like artifacts but some basic, useful stuff. In my experience, there's always a cloak, a shield and stuff like that generated there. Might want to check it out, and also read those scrolls in on the stairs when you go in.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 09:45 (GMT -5)

Don't check out the small cave if you're above level 5 though - it can be an extremely deadly place.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 15:51 (GMT -5)

Yeah, it's probably best to make it your first cave to visit. Also that way, if you happen to die, you haven't lost much, 2-3 minutes of playing.

Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4898 days, 7 hours, 17 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

Doalag:
I like to use the top line of the Terinyo map
to store my items. The only villager that can
move to the top line is the sheriff, and he
can be led away. I like to drop him off in the
puppy cave. Perhaps you are just spending a bit
too much time travelling in the wilderness.
Travelling in the wilderness uses up a lot of
food and game time, and can ruin your equipment.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 03:14 (GMT -5)

Thanks all for the suggestions.

J: Which small cave? Where it is? Anyway, it's a little late, I'm not level 5 anymore, also there's a problem with identifying at level 5. I have a cloak, a leather cloak, a leather cloak, perhaps it protects a little but if I don't take care it won't.

Gut : Lol nice quote, yes I noted that too but not the conclusion, also it's not obvious the sherif won't take anything.

In the bandit town, I didn't enter in the house of the yellow guy and the doors never opened. So I put some stuff in the right room to see and closed doors like it was.

I also found a room in the SW dungeon with door I can lock with a key. I try put few stuff here too to see.

Molach : You're like the game author, a butcher with a stone at the place of the heart!! Just a remark I think you can't compare dogs to any other animals except cat perhaps. Because dogs have with human a very long history of taming and a tame level you can't compare with other animals. Eventually this isn't true in china/asia, perhaps they only "recently" import dogs from europe, africa and other places. Or it's just starvation or misery. I know in china it's a standard meat, I suppose dogs never been used like in some other area. Is there any pet in china? I wonder. If there's any I'll eat it with pleasure in front of the eyes of the chinese owner! And don't say me it's dogs, I won't believe you! :-D
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 04:33 (GMT -5)

Every time I see a dark red "t", I get wet. I tried using a waterproof blanket but it's no use! Help please?

On a more serious note, if you want to wait with the small cave you should enter it at level one... and then leave. The small cave constantly generates monsters at your level, but if a load of monsters are generated at level 2, then later you can easily go through them and get to the stairs while not much level 10 monsters are generated (level 10 if you are 5, for example...)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 08:58 (GMT -5)

Is anybody will say me where is this cave?
EDIT : It's the cave named "small cave entry" from
the wilderness? Ie the caves at NE of Terinyo? I already get there at char level 6, perhaps 7 because I didn't want try more attempts to finish the quest in the SE cave. I don't remember to have notice monsters so higher level but more that every two cave levels, perhaps more, I had ants armies to face that constantly emerge from small holes. I finally succeed to flee from a deeper level but that has been quite long (number of attempts!!) and tough.

About the raining I apply a boring tactic but it seems ensure safety so I use it instead to have an even more boring items destroyed by rain.

I always take care to travel not far from wood. I take care to have a high feeding level, and I check regularly the weather. When rains start, I go to a wood, enter the area, go under a tree and wait here until the rain is over. I know it sucks but get surprised by rain sucks even more.

Gut mentioned game time, I didn't notice that, the game is sort of time limited? If so I already build a lost game!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2008 at 09:19 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
noob
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 at 09:48 (GMT -5)

There is no time limit - you can play forever. But there is an unpleasant effect after 90 days...

I think the rain tactic is cool. It's what people do when surprised by rain. The small cave with the blanket however is north-west by the plains, but monsters are pure death there (if they notice you that is) although they LOOK usual.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: