Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Need help about curse/disease

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 5 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 21:49 (GMT -5)

Hello, I'm newbie in this game, well I already lost too many time :-D and in current game I got one more disease or curse I don't know.

My character is level 6, a farmer. I have only explored the peaceful town and in a previous game the outlaw town but I won't get there until a long time to not risk a stupid death. I also explored a bit the 2 dungeons to the east, north and south.

I got a previous char killed by sick disease.
=> How newbie could heal that?

My current char get teleported regularly.
=> How newbie could heal that?
=> Is there any way to identify the curses of my character?

A previous char got cursed by an item before to die.
=> How identify items and avoid being cursed?
=> How identify the curse brought by an item?
=> How cure those sort of curse?

Thanks for any help.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

Ok I found on thing, the constant teleporting was caused by an item I was carrying, just need to drop it and this problem disappeared. If I take it back is appears back.

Alas I make the assumption from that that all other unidentified items wasn't cursed because I didn't notice bad effect and now I have a sticky cursed sling. No idea what the curse is and what effect it has. This brings me another question:
=> Are some cursed items can bring bonus?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/6/2008 at 22:36 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3899 days, 8 hours, 42 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 00:16 (GMT -5)

If an item is cursed it just means that it does less damage, has a higher probability to break and you can't remove the item.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

5216 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

Or in the case of armor it makes it easier for your enemies to hit/injure you.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4600 days, 31 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 01:58 (GMT -5)

For disease, most times a newbie has to wait it out. It's a decent way to train up your first aid skill, assuming you survive the sickness.

Paladins, I forget if it's level 6 or 12, can use their class power to remove disease (if they have sufficient piety).

Other classes can either find Jharod the healer, or eat a curaria mancox herb, or find a book of cure disease.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:02 (GMT -5)

On a few occassions, i've actually gained a coule max HP points by surviving a disease, so really they aren't always a bad thing.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:04 (GMT -5)

As for teleportitis, you probably gained it from eating a pixie corpse, a fairie dragon corpse, or from drinking a pool.

Further pool drinking can remove it, although I don't advocate that route unless you have an altar and can reach extremely close to remove the dooming and cursing pools inflict.

A better thing to do would be to eat a blink dog corpse, this will allow you teleport control. If you can't get one of those, a helm or ring of teleport control will work.

Controlled teleportitis is great, especially for melee fighters. It can get you across rivers, away from cats, to safety when you're cornered, to the stairs quicker to save you time, ect. If you need it, just walk in place until it triggers.

Finding out what "curses" you have, or Intrinsics, can be done by drinking a potion of revelation, or by finding a book of revelation and casting the spell. This will tell you if you have teleportitis and if you have teleport control.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2008 at 02:07 (GMT -5) by Nightmare]
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:09 (GMT -5)

I prefer getting myself a spellbook of teleportation if possible. Or a wand works just as well, as you can recharge them.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:10 (GMT -5)

the last question is easy. Read scrolls of identify, best if blessed.

To remove a cursed item, dip it in holy water using the ! button. That will make the item blessed.

rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 02:33 (GMT -5)

thats just a waste of a potion of holy water if you ask me....i tend to save them for blessing useful items, like a potion of gain attributes. Its better to find a scroll or spellbook of uncursing.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 03:47 (GMT -5)

Hi all thanks for the answers.

For the teleport, ok the pool is probably the problem, drink one is one more things to not do in this game! :-p Well find all the nice items isn't really an option, I'll become crazy before!!! :-D

For cure sick, well wait is what I hoped but I end dying. Only one guy that can help you for curing? Ha well ok thanks.

For cursed items ok thanks I haven't seen that items (identify/bless potion)... well perhaps I have found them but not have identified them!!!
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 04:06 (GMT -5)

do you try to use first aid while waiting for it to end? Often times first aid will fail at lower lvls, but it can also help to survive sickness
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4898 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

Doalag:
If you are new to ADOM, I Strongly suggest
playing as a trollish healer. They have amazing
toughness, and healing powers. This will allow
you to see a lot of the game, and learn the
ropes without having to die so much.

A few suggestions:

Identifying items. Pick up every scroll you find,
but don't use them right away. Some can have bad
effects. Once you have a dozen or so, go ahead
and read one of the scrolls that you have the
most of. This will probably be a scroll of
identify, as they are one of the most plentiful
scrolls in the game. If it is not a scroll of
identify, at least it will likely be a beneficial
scroll, and also probably uncursed too. Once you
read one scroll of identify, you will recognize
them from then on. Do dip your other SoI in holy
water before reading them, as they will then
ID every item in your inventory, and show all
item's blessed/uncursed status.

There are two ways to get a supply of holy water.
The first is to find a co-alligned alter, like
if your allignment is lawful, you should find a
white marble (Lawful) alter. Then sacrifice
a lot of gold (or other things) to make your
diety 'very pleased' with you. Next, drop all of
your potions of water (watery potions) onto the
alter, your diety will make them all holy.

The second way bypasses the alter. Just collect
about a dozen potions of water, and you will
notice that they don't all stack in one pile.
There will be 1 stack with, say, 8 watery
potions, another will have 2, and the third will
have 1. What this means, is that you are
carrying: 8 potions of uncursed water, a potion
of unholy water (dipping items in this causes
them to be cursed), and at least 1 potion of holy
water. Drink one of the potions from the stack
of 2 watery potions, if it says 'this tastes like
muddy water' that means it's unholy water, but if
it says 'this tastes like fresh, clean water'
this means it's holy water. Either way, you now
know which stack of 1 potion of water is holy,
and which is unholy. Now dip your stack of 8
potions of water into the one potion that you
know is holy water. You can only dip 4 potions
at a time though, so you will have to dip again
to change the rest. You should now have 7 PoHW.
Dip your stack of scrolls of identify into the
holy water, and ID your whole inventory.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 11 hours, 8 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

Don't play trollish healers, their leveling sucks, and all the other kinds of healers have lousy starting equipment. Play orcish barbarians. There's nothing easier than playing orcish barbarians, except maybe high elven archers.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 10 hours, 26 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

To get rid of sickness drink a potion of healing. It has a 50% chance of curing sickness (100% if blessed). This is normally the only hope available for low level characters.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 16 hours, 20 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

I have won the game several times. Even when I tried to play very safely, I've had characters die from very easy monsters. If a rat hits and causes sickness at level 1 on a weak character, there is not much one can do. Your character will suddenly be less than half as able to survive as usual, so you cannot advance more levels, you cannot find any items which can cure you. Getting to wilderness and waiting out the sickness is possible, but it might end up with a "last fever attack" which will kill you instantly at level 1 (too few hitpoints). Nothing much to do, really, bad luck. Life's a bitch. Happens every now and then, even to the pros.

Getting to, say, level 6 is very fast for most characters, and that will normally allow you to wait out the sickness and survive. Or you could grit your teeth, game on, carefully, and continue on your toughening-up work. Late-beginning game sickness is merely an annoyance, mid-game it is trivial, and late-game it can even be a boon to your character.

Pools: I rarely drink when I first see them. Teleportitis is annoying (but not game-breaking, actually) but cursing and dooming is even worse, and will make you life miserable at low levels. Finding an altar first is recommended.

Cursed items: Main thing about curse is that you can't take the item off. Cursed gloves means you can't wear rings, too (logically). Cursed weapon means you cannot change gloves (logically). Cursed girdle also means you cannot change out armor. Think of curse as something magically locking the item on you. However, if I saw a nice armor early game with a naked character, I would likely put it on even knowing it was cursed. The +PV or DV would let me survive, and early mid-game cursed items become trivial to deal with. Water and altar and problem is solved.

You still get the PV bonus from normal items, and that will early on usually be good for you. Special items can have reversed effect, that is bad.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 10 hours, 26 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 07:19 (GMT -5)

Notably the majority of scrolls and potions have some sort of opposite effects when cursed, making trying unidentified objects quite dangerous at times. Worn equipment is rarely badly affected, other than being damaged more easily. Cursed weapons do less damage to undead and demons (with blessed you get the opposite effect).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

About guts stating you can only dip 4 potions at once......this isn't entirely true. In the example he showed up above it is, but not in all. If you look carefully at them potions have 1 of 2 different weights, 2 stones or 4 stones. Potions of water weigh 4 stones and he's right they(and other 4 stone potion stacks) can only have 4 of them dipped at once. On the other hand i've dipped(don't have enough to try more) 6 2 stone potions into a single potion of holy water. Presumably the limit on 2 stone potions is 8, double what it is for 4 stone ones.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Thanks all for the helps, one thing is sure it's that the game isn't kind with players and can easily kill a character. :-)

About pool and altar in fact I had found one with the character mentioned above, no idea what alignment but not my god, it was onn for the altar.

For the sickness I waited and pray few time to heal but got the character killed anyway by the sikness.

I also got blinded once, by a trap I think and ends in the civilized town by bumming the little dragon that instantly kill me!!!

I even got killed by my dog because of a trap and when I was attempting to tame it.

In fact I do not follow the rule and backup sometimes my save files but the version I use is a nightmare to start, I must attempt many many time before to succeed, thanks once the game is really started I hove no problem. So because of that and to keep some tension I rarely save but I was stick to level 6!!

I gave up this char and is trying a new one. In fact this new one looks better, it has higher attributes, one more skill per level and much more herbs to start (7) when I was searching solution for my problems, I saw that was important but so complicate to use one more thing not easy for a newbie. Well it's one more farmer among many I created, ok next one I'll try the troll healer.

Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 18:54 (GMT -5)

As for questions, my current dog got injured 2 or 3 times by an acid trap when I was cooking!! (didn't knew yet there was a trap around) Is this mean that it lost a leg or any definitive physical damage?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5665 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 19:09 (GMT -5)

Farmers are quite weak. The classes in ADOM aren't balanced, some are easier than others. Barbarians are quite tough, orcish barbarians have high strength and toughness, humans start with a good two-handed sword and an amulet of luck. Try them out.

Try and find a bow/crossbow and some arrows/quarrels and train your missile skills. There are some monsters you don't want to get close to, and missile weapons are pretty powerful in ADOM!

When you get sick, praying isn't very useful. Your god will heal you to full HP a couple of times, but sickness will bring it down to about one half, so it's kind of wasted. The best thing you can do is just wait it out. Everytime you get the message "you're wrecked by feverish fists!"(or something like that), use the first aid skill. Might not help much, but it trains the skill, which is useful if you happen to get poisoned before getting poison resistance. Which reminds me, eat a spider corpse as soon as you find one!

As for your question: No, things like limb damage aren't in ADOM. Your dog just lost HP, and will recover them, slowly.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/7/2008 at 19:10 (GMT -5) by J.]
rmcin329
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 19:42 (GMT -5)

He'll recover them more quickly if you throw a potion of healing at him, or if you're lucky enough to have a healing spell at this point that can help too.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4898 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 at 23:10 (GMT -5)

Silfir:
Barbarians don't start with the Healing skill.
This is a HUGE factor for new players.
A trollish healer will have an extremely high
chance of surviving any bouts of poisoning
or sickness that comes their way. Even in the
early game.

Getting the healing skill probably seems easy,
but for new players it can be hard. If you die
soon after getting the healing skill (somewhat
likely), then you have to do it over, and over,
and over...it can get tedius. Your trollish
healers will die too of coarse, but you don't
have to sludge through the same opening each
time. I think, first play a few trollish healers,
just to learn the ropes. Then give barbarians a
few runs also.

Troll leveling is not always a hinderance, it
can also be a blessing. Say a new player finds
a certain scroll upon reaching exp. level 13.
It says 'hero, come as soon as possible'.
What PC do you think would have a better chance
of living through that, a troll or another race.
My troll PC's frequently have to clear Darkforge
just to get *IN* to the pyramid! This isn't a
bother, it's amazing. What other race could clear
Darkforge at level 12.

Slower leveling, to me just means waiting longer
for your class powers. Usually that's not such
a big loss, although there are exceptions. A
troll, at level 13, is in most ways = to other
races at level 16. I think slower leveling does
not mean lower abilities.

rmcin329:
I actually didn't know that about the potions :)
It makes sense though, thanks.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 14:45 (GMT -5)

I found the pet cool that's why I played many farmers. Well the pet died and I forgot save back.

It's not cool because all was going too good and I probably didn't notice the pet had already received hits before the combat where it died.

I imagine the farmer pet isn't made to survive long except in hands of an experimented player.
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4069 days, 11 hours, 8 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

The farmer pet isn't going to survive long for any player, unless he is merciful and leaves it behind in Terinyo. I don't think it is worth the effort :)
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 16:02 (GMT -5)

Ha well ok, not cool!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5665 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

If you want pets, play a bard. They can tame almost any animal by playing music. At the beginning, a bear or two from the wilderness might help in a tight spot. Later on, wild boars are quite powerful, and killer bugs will live up to their name and kill just about anything and everything for you if you want. You can in fact go to the bug ruins right away and get yourself a GCB/KB.. Just remember that you don't get exp from the monsters that pets kill.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 at 18:38 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the bard hint eventually I'll try that or the troll healer. :-)
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5828 days, 6 hours, 43 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:29 (GMT -5)

I think I'll try training my farmer dog to extreme power once.

...or maybe not. It'll probably get killed by some ogre magus in an unexpected second.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Lol I'll try a little more, my current farmer has a ton of luck and the bonus skill at each level is very cool. Currently the only negative point is that I lost a way to light torch, just hope I won't kill anything friendly in a dark area.

About the dog, yes I noticed I had to train it. That requires management and a lot of care but I still feel it adds fun. The dog level seems to not have any influence on monsters level unlike the level of my char.

What's not cool is that I have no way to get some stats about the dog. Well the game provides stats on speed and damage level but if that is possible we should also get some stats about health level and even the dog level.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/9/2008 at 16:49 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: