Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / OOC: Arcanium

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 8 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7169 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 at 22:44 (GMT -5)

outdated

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/14/2003 at 02:42 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 01:35 (GMT -5)

I think a map showing orginization boundries would be useful. Cutting the geography (just what's ocean, what's mountain, what's land, mostly) and just putting in blobs where orginizations have their influence.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7301 days, 5 hours, 42 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

More general background.

Measuring : this is quite detailed.

LENGTH
5 Cm = 1 Link (l.)
2 Links = 1 Chain (c.)
10 Chains = 1 Cubit (cu.)
100 Cubits = 1 Measure (m.)
12 Measures = 1 Mile (mi.)
5 Miles = 1 Span (s.)
(area and volume are measured like in our world, but using these measures)

WEIGHT
20 grams = 1 Weight (w.)
12 Weights = 1 Tensweight (dw.)
12 Tensweights = 1 Hundredweight (hw.)
12 Hundredweights = 1 Thousandweight (tw.)

FLUID MEASURE
1 litre = 1 Drift
12 Drifts = 1 Tensdrift
12 Tensdrifts = 1 Hundreddrift
12 Hundreddrift = 1 Thousanddrift

There. I'll do coinage after this.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 9 hours, 27 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 23:24 (GMT -5)

I'm not (I promise) going to turn Jennifer into the next Robin Hood; her talents are simply due to "remembering" (subconsciously) her former life; apparently she's been part of a sports team or something.

I just posted on the main Arcanium thread. IMO we've got enough background worked out to start posting again... well, at any rate, I had enough to figure out the next post.

The stream is probably too small to be on the map...

Oh, yeah, idea: After we post a new section on Arcanium, let's just put vital info on this thread, like this:

Time: about 5:00 p.m.
Location: All are at the camp, next to a stream, with woods on one side and meadows on the other'
Status: Andrea is asleep due to exhaustion; the rest are healthy
New possessions: Some rabbit skins (possibly)

You'd also list new character names, place names, and anything else potentially plot-hole-forming.

Good idea?

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/12/2003 at 23:32 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 00:47 (GMT -5)

Yeah, good idea. And put it in italics, or bold, or something else to make it stand out. Bold would be good.

As for the rest you said, yeah, we have enough to keep going. But we should keep working on the world. We can ease up a bit on it now though. Keep posting ideas and stuff though. Particularly when we decide to go someplace we havn't been yet.

Also, I drew a map of Tauren, but it's in pencil and i don't have a scanner anyway. But i put a few locations in, just as ideas for where we could go when we get there. (I'm thinking we'll go there, either sooner or later. It's fairly important, and it's on our path anyways.)

ivan.sourceforge.net
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

There, my post done.

Time: about 17:20
Location : Willard, Relthe and Andrea are at the camp, Josua is assumadly somewhere near the camp, Jennifer and Dalinor are practising archery a short way into the Searchwood.
Status : Everyone is pretty much alright, but Andrea is of course, still asleep.
New possesions : Nothing

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 01:42 (GMT -5)

Crap. I just posted too, but mine was done long after yours. I don't see any way to splice the two into one effectively, and yours isn't much different from mine anyway (except at the end), so if you don't mind, I'm going to delete yours... I'll save it though, post it here, so we can decide.

Time: around 3:00 AM.
Location: All are at the camp, near a clear stream near the Searchwood.
Status: Everyone is alright and awake, but Josua is seeming to have problems. Currently he is on the ground.
New Possesions: None.
New characters: Nar-?, Thavaes (both unknown people, mentioned by Josua)
New locations: Marden (Unknown place, assumadely a group of people saved Thavaes there)

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 01:42 (GMT -5)

Dalinor made a small fire with a flint and steel and a few sticks of wood. He hung the rabbits over the fire by the legs on another stick. They were almost burnt near the bottom and almost raw at the top but the middle tasted delicous, if slightly tough. After that Dalinor took his bow and quiver, went to a large tree, and maked out a target with an arrowhead, and motioned for Jennifer to join him.

"You draw back the bow, look along the shaft of the arrow to aim, and fire." he said, demonstrating slowly. "Now you try." Jennifer drew the bow a small distance, about a quarter of the lenght of the arrow, and looked along the arrowshaft as Dalinor did. She missed, but it was still quite a close miss. After several tries, she was almost as good as with rocks.

In the meantime, Willard was sitting eating a second cut of burnt meat. Relthe was sitting nearby, and a thought from earlier poked up in Willard's mind. Magic. He was about to ask about it, but Relthe stood and shouted "Dalinor! Where have you gone?", and Willard's budding thoughts were driven from his mind.

---
ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/12/2003 at 22:04 (GMT -8) by Andor Drakon]

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 02:15 (GMT -5)

I really like those posts guys, keep it up!!

Just a minor thing. Watch carefully what you and the other writers make each character say AND, we want to remain as consistent as possible. I know i'm not the best at it but it's something I want to improve on.

Two other things:

Andrea:
She's too powerful for the group at this stage I think, and a minor character at that. I'm thinking that perhaps she will leave to join the Order of Four (or be taken by them) when we run into them.
The most likely and plausable situation is that she will get sick from the events and the efforts she was forced to undergo geting the blanket, and will require a long period of healing. It will be a painful sepperation for both her and Jennifer.
She will return later, but for now I think she's a touch powerful and it takes away from the danger and mystery of their trip.

Perdzagh the False:

I have a few ideas about this person, and I'll make Relthe talk about them soon. For now can I ask you to not mention him in too much detail, except in passing?

Idea basicly is:
Perdzagh was a powerful and evil wizard long, long ago. He died. There is no way to 'return' Perdzagh. The wizarding guild just created the myth that it was possible so that when someone does learn powerful dark arts everyone will fear them as Perdzagh and stop them. It's a way of stopping people gaining to much power.

Originaly it was a measure used to stop wizards learning powerful darks arts, because they would be easily be turned on by anyone who saw them practicing them. It was said that there were specific tricks that only Perdzagh knew, and that these were the signs he was returning. These were all the darker arts and this was the way they stopped people trying to learn them. If they tried and were caugh out everyone would turn on them, thinking they were Perdzagh returned to life.

These days many people have forgotten about the specific skills that were signs of Perdzagh (the guild has recently deliberatly encouraged this forgettfulness) so that those in power can use it to indict anyone they know, without proof.

I thought of this though. Perhaps you can go back to one of your first posts on this thread, one that no longer holds much importance, and edit it with a detailed description fo your character.
Provided we all update when we make changes it could be really helpful. I'll try to update my file on Relthe in such a way. Currently you all have no idea how he looks really, except for a few little things.

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/14/2003 at 02:47 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 05:26 (GMT -5)

Yes, delete my post, it wasnt that good anyway. I'm too busy to do big long posts the way I could (see the "vapor rats" one in ADOM RP 2).

Lamaros : There actually once was a Perdzagh, but he died in the Age of Legends, and nobody knows anything about him apart from the fact that he was staggeringly evil and just as powerful. The Wizard Guild just took the legend and used it the way you described.

I like the number 12. You can change weight and fluid to 10 if you like, but keep the "12 measures = 1 mile", because 1 measure = 100 meters, and a mile is about 1.3 kilometers, and thus an Arcanium mile is about 100 meters shorter than a real one.

Coinage

Sarvent
Sarvent coins are nothing more than mixtures of those of other races

Illdean
Illdean coins are made of copper, silver, and gold, and have a picture of the present King on one side and the Illdean national symbol (crossed sword wand, with crown underneath) on the other. Ildean Coins have the word "Illdean" at the beginning, as in an "Illdean Gold Earl", and due to some obscure reason, all the higher coins go up by 6.

about 0.1c = 1 copper penny
100 copper pennies = 1 Silver Noble
6 Silver Nobles = 1 Silver Earl
6 Silver Earls = 1 Silver Duke
6 Silver Dukes = 1 Silver Crown
6 Silver Crowns = 1 Gold Noble
6 Gold Nobles = 1 Gold Earl
6 Gold Earls = 1 Gold Duke
6 Gold Dukes = 1 Gold Crown
6 Gold Crowns = 1 Gold Imperial

The Free Cities
Ease of trade has driven the Free Cities to use a simple metric coinage system. The merchants of Pentil, Rhialston and Edgeton will gladly accept foreign coins but they prefer their own for trading. THis system has recently spread to Deriough but Deriough coins are slightly less pure and thus Free Cities coinage is worth 50% more. The Free Cities copper penny is worth about the same as the Illdean copper one.

1c = 1 copper penny
10 copper pennies = 1 silver half-weight
10 silver half-weights = 1 florin
10 florins = 1 silver double-weight
10 silver double-weights = 1 gold shield
10 gold shields = 1 gold double-sheild

I'll leave Dail and the other cities to someone else.

Oh, and you can have measures less than drifts, weights, and links if you can think of some nice-sounding names.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 06:04 (GMT -5) by Andor Drakon]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

*nods* about Perdzagh.

A mile is actually very close to 1,600m, or 1.6km. But I don't mind the difference, it's easy enough to remember.

I don't mind the number twelve, just the number twelve in conjunction with something (hundred, thousand) that I unconciously associate multiples of 10 with. If you changed the names from 'hundreddrift' to 'greatdrift' or something it would be fine.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 06:06 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

Okay, hundredfoo and thousandfoo are now highfoo and greatfoo

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 06:09 (GMT -5)

Oh, and tensdrift is simply twelvesdrift

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

Change the Illdean beggars to pennies too, but keep the rest the same.

Tauran, Dail, so on, should not use gold "sheild" as that's a Free Cities coin, maybe it should be changed to "sword".

The Free Cities are basically merchant cities and thus drive a hard bargain, but they shoyuld know the basic value of a coin.

On size: Basically the more valuabvle a coin is, the larger it is, but say a double shield is worth ten times more than a sheild not because it's ten times bigger or heavier, but because it's set down in law. The actual amount of gold required to create then does not matter, but the type of coin and the marking do. Anyway, on coin sizes (most of this is about 100% useless):

Illdean
copper penny : 3mm r, 1mm thick, round
silver lady : 6mm r, 2mm thick, round
silver lord : 8mm r, 2mm thick, tound
silver noble : 10mm r, 2mm thick, round
gold earl : 8mm r, 3mm thick, round
gold duke : 10mm r, 3mm thick, round
gold imperial : 12mm r, 4mm thick, round

Free Cities and Deriough
copper penny : 2mm r, 1mm thick, round
silver h. weight : 7mm r, 3mm thick, round
silver florin : 9mm r, 3mm thick, round
silver db. weight : 13mm r, 3mm thick, round
gold shield : 25mm h, 25mm l, 5mm thick, octagonal
gold db. sheild : 35mm h, 35mm l, 5mm thick, octagonal

Tauran & Dail
I'll once again leave this to you, Lamaros (or Duke or Iridia).

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 08:52 (GMT -5)

I have to disagree over the coin sizes, i'm afraid.

It's a fairly medieval world, and with the sizes you have given people would just melt down the metals. It's increddibly worth it.

A db. shield has 6125mmcubed in it and a earl has about 603.

this means a shield has about 10.2 times as much gold. however, it has 77 time more value!!

you could melt down 50 earls and make about 5 db. shields. 50 earls are worth 64,800 pennies, 5 db. shields are worth 500,000.

Whats worse is that you can do it with one currency. You can get about 2 shields, melt them down and reforge them as double shield and get something worth 80k more! (20k to 100k)!! And this isn't even getting to the silver, which has an much larger difference in weight to value.

Governments won't be nearly, remotly, powerful to control this. I'm sorry, it's not logical. Current curriencies work becase they don't work with actual materials of value, you can't barter with paper.

In our world even if they can't reforge them no one would care, gold would be accepted in any form.

My suggestions for Tauran, Dail & the Great plains.

copper knife: round, 2 bands in diameter. A quarter of a band thick.
silver dagger: round, 2 bands in diameter. Half a band thick.
silver shortsword: round, 3 1/4 bands in diameter. A band thick. (5.28 as much silver as a dagger, worth 5 times as much)
gold bow: round, 2 bands in diameter. Half a band thick. Small hold in the middle, half a band wide.
gold longsword: round, 5 bands in diameter. One and an half bands thick. (19.99 times as much gold, 20 times the value)

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 09:38 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 09:39 (GMT -5)

Re. Andrea: Yes, I agree; she's too powerful at this stage. I would rather she were hurt by a magic-user of some sort rather than just tired out from using skills usually beyond her reach though. It would give us the chance to learn more about the wizards, and perhaps Relthe... if you all agree, of course :)

Re. The World... I'm currently trying to learn HTML. It would actually be good practice for me to put the info together on some web pages... you all would have to correct my obvious, glaring mistakes though. *g* Until I can get it figured out, though, the information does have to be posted somewhere, and the beginning of thread is as good as any place.

Can someone stick the bit about Jennifer's archery practice in there somewhere?

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 09:44 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 18:18 (GMT -5)

New post.

Time: around 6:00 AM.
Location: All are at the camp, near a clear stream near the Searchwood.
New Possesions: None.
New characters: Feldor (not really new, just gave the Dtarn wizard guy a name)
New locations: None.

Edited post to fix with Duke's comments, below.

We need a scale for the map. To make sure we make the distances they travell each day fairly realistic and consistent. I have a general scale, will edit it in with next map update (soon).

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 22:38 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 20:27 (GMT -5)

One problem only with your post: nothing has jumped out and said "Hi, I'm a ghost inhabiting Josua." All we've seen is his eyes changeing color and him acting wierd. I wouldn't doubt that Relthe and Dalinor know some history, and recognize the names Josua mentioned, but they wouldn't know *that* much. Maybe only the place. But they wouldn't know he's got a legend spliced with his soul.

[EDIT] Ok, better, much better. I didn't get to finish my post, so nobody post until i can. Thanks.
Here's our ideas on months and time-of-year:
It's currently Autumn (we're keeping Earth-names for seasons), and the months work like this: there are 10 months of 35 days each, and one special month in the middle of 15. You guys can all fight over the names. *g*

ivan.sourceforge.net

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 22:04 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

Seeing as Duke won't let me post yet *grin* I'll bother you all this other thoughts and the like.

Some ideas for month names:

Dexor
Torthi
Qauli
Curth
Senth
*The passage of Quezeant*
Sorcha
Ouva
Nelth
Duvei
Oubli

I know quite a bit of html, but my computer is deciding to hate me recently (overpoweringly slow, *I can't cut and paste*) and I wouldn't be able to do it that quickly. If things get out of control and we're all struggling to remember details and stuff then maybe it'll be worth it. Once I get bothered enough to fix my computer I'll probably do it anyway.

Anyway. I was thinking about travelling.

The lands aren't huge huge, and travel for those equipped to do it doesn't take that long. But the world isn't very well travelled by most people, so we have to explain this. There are a few reasons I can see.

1. The lands are dangerous. Dtarn, Nerin, Goblins, Orcs. And this is just the easier areas, who knows about the beasts and foes contained in the lands not normally travelled. (I'm thinking about cities of beings who don't like humans, a *real* foe or something.)

2. The current nations are not that old. Perhaps a few hundered at most. Sarvent, the newest nation, might only be 100 years old or less.

3. The lands are harsh. Winters can be impossible, high summers crucifying. The search wood is dense and dangerous, many get lots there. The mountains are no picknicks. The desert is a death trap. Much of the land is not fit for human settlement (the fringe lands, the broken lands, the dead lands, the northern tundra)

4. Population levels were generally low and dispersed.

5. People were settled, they had migrated a bit over time, but wars and the danger of living, and the low populations, required that many cannot afford, or wished to, travel.

6. people were still recovering (unconciously) from the earlier ages, when the lands were embroiled in constant strife, and have been living, and wanting to live, safe and normal lives.

However:

Much time has passed and a few people are now growing out of these things, and the areas are opening up again. This period of peace and easy lives have caused a bit of a population growth spurt. Cities are bigger, there's more money flowing about. There are more explorers than ever before. More treasure and bounty hunters. More new societies trying to branch out on their own.
People have forgotten about the past, the wars and the chaos, and are growing tired of normality and peace (unconciously), they're bringing the edge back into life.

But the lands are still dangerous, though the mentality has changed the lands have not, if anything they have grown worse over time. It's just now people are willing to tackle it.

This is all very recent, as in within the last 15 years. Only really becoming noticable in the last 5.

The safest parts in the realm is the passage to Deriough from Illdean, down through corkscrew pass, across the great plains.

The dusty dunes and the rest of the plains are mostly ok, but the fringe lands can be a bit of trouble, especialy the dead lands near the dead river.

The lands the group are travelling through now are therefore some of the safest in the contient, especialy when led by Dalinor. This explains why the group of mostly novices adventurers has be able to mange ok so far. This wont stay the same though. If they started anywhere else they'd probably have died already; from beasts or lack of provisions.
They need warm clothes, water containers, packs... heaps of stuff. Only Dalinor is prepared like this. To a certian extent Relthe is (good clothes, daggers), but he also relied on his tricks (to keep warm at night, to stay ahead of those after him, perhaps to aviod some creatures). Without them he wouldn't have survived in the fringe lands.

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 23:36 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 02:41 (GMT -5)

Grrahhg!!!!!!!

That makes me mad. I just finished my post, made a big ole' edit to it, spent half an hour, 45 minutes on it or something -- and it didn't post. Now it's gone. AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Well, here was the gist. They eat rabbit for breakfast, hike west for 4 hours, take an hour break, eat some extra rabbit Dalinor brought, talk about their plans (go west 3 miles to a road, then follow it southwest to a town called Dunn), and then march again. They're delayed somewhat, takes them 6 hours to get there, and then they're stopped by some guards. One guard (the talking one, captain they assume) wears a black-laquered breastplate, a leather jerkin over it, a leather kilt, and iron bracers (the left one has a gold band on it. This doesn't mean he's a priest; priest rank is shown in secondary-color bands on the right arm, either bracer or robe. This is an award.). He also has a blue-and-grey sash on. This is his rank, their equivalent of a captain.

Speaking of colors: Here are primary/secondary colors for each order:

Prophets: White/Silver
Creators: Green/Black
Restorers: Blue/Purple
Crusaders: Red/Gold

Primary color is used on armor and formal robes; secondary is used mainly in awards and to display rank.

Alright, back to the story, as i was saying, there are four guards. But before the guards. The amnisiacs are impressed by the city and it's walls and guards; the two "natives" see a tiny backwater town with crude walls and way too many guards. Anyway. The guards stop them, there is a very short confrontation (Who goes tehre? Five footsore and weary travellers, sir, and one knight. *Pause* Ok, come on by), and the guards let them pass. The captain takes Dalinor aside, though, and Dalinor instructs the rest to the Rising Sun, the local tavern, and says he'll meet them tehre.

Maybe I'll get around to finishing my post again. Maybe not. If nobody does it for me (hint hint) I'll do it day after tomorrow (Sunday).

ivan.sourceforge.net

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/14/2003 at 02:53 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

lol! Well, here's my comment: pretty close to what i wanted.

I finished it, if you didn't notice. Yay. I'm thinking that Dalinor and teh captain are discussing local difficulties, and teh captain's asking for his help in something.

I think it's time we shrank our group, or at least split it up. It has the feel of being large and bulky right now. Maybe Dalinor can agree to do whatever it is that the captain wants him to do, and buys Josua and Jennifer some equpitment -- including a second- or third- (or maybe even fourth-) hand sword and an equally well used short bow and some arrows. Then those three go off on whatever the errand is, and on the way he teaches them how to use their new equiptment.

In any case, after the group splits/shrinks/whatever

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 19:29 (GMT -5)

On logical grounds I think the equipment buying should take place when they get to Tauran. This tiny town wouldn't really have much in the way of a shop, or much jobs to be done for money.

Better if the groups stops and talks a bit here, gets a good nights rest and buys some *simple* provisions before heading onwards. Perhaps Dalinor can goo off by himself for a bit before meeting up with the group in Tauran. He might take Josua with him or something.

Plus, what could Dalinor do that a whole bunch of guards can't do? Perhaps he can do diplomatic things, but that's more likely to happen in the bigger cities.

Map Updated soon: now with legend, church of the four influence, and a SCALE!

Scale on the huge map is: 15 pixels = 1 span
75 pixels therefore = 30,000m

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/14/2003 at 19:37 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Iridia
Registered user
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 21:16 (GMT -5)

How about climate?

I'd say we're in a temperate climate now (cold enough for snow in winter, but still gets uncomfortably hot during the summer). But from your map, there seems to be colder climates up north: "The Frozen Lake", for example, is presumably frozen over for a significant part of the year. And "The Dead World" sound suspiciously like a Sahara-type desert.

Actually, I'd say the different types of climate (like they are on our northern hemisphere) pretty much hold true for Arcanium: Cold in the north, warm in the south; dry in the west of a continent, rainy in the east.

Basically (and as a general rule; there are going to be exceptions of course!), North to south and west to east:
Tundra-> Evergreen forest (Extreme north)
Plains-> Temperate forest (Most of the map)
Desert-> Jungle (South)

We're probably seeing about one-eighth of the globe here, about equivalent to one of our continents... Of course you'd have to tilt the compass a little to allow for the temperate type stuff on the northwestern part of the map (not that it matters much really). I didn't work out the scale to compare the size of that world to the size of ours, but I was tired of math, and for all we know it could be smaller around than Earth anyhow.

That is, of course, assuming that Arcanium is round instead of flat, to begin with :)

Anyone know a way to make different parts of a picture link to different places when clicked on? Or a site where I could learn how to do so?

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/14/2003 at 21:19 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

Well, one thing you can do is split the picture up, and make each chunk of picture be a link. Mind you, I havn't tried this, so no gaurentees it'll work, but I think it should...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7169 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 00:49 (GMT -5)

http://www.htlmgoodies.com

that's where I used to learn back in the day when I taught myself.

Climate:

They map i've done so far is just generaly terrain types, so it's not that specific. I'll upload the new map with the legend now.

just spent 4 hours downloading microsoft windows 2000 service pack 4 so I can get rid of this worm from my computer.... error in install.

Not impressed. I'm giving up on fixing it again.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/15/2003 at 00:51 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Andor Drakon
Registered user

Last page view:

7301 days, 5 hours, 42 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 00:51 (GMT -5)

My internet keeps playing up right now, so I can't post hardly anything. Sorry. It will probably be fixed eventually. I hope. Anyway, I cant post very much and I hope you are able to read this post before my computer crashes again.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 01:10 (GMT -5)

Map updated:

http://images.fotopic.net/?id=989021&outx=600&noresize=1&nostamp=1

My other thread has been updated, but it's still quite general and has lots of areas which aren't finalised. Please go over and read it if you have the time. Please place your comments in this thread though.

EDIT: I've deleted even more posts from this thread, old stuff of mine that's now in the other thread, or outdated.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 8/15/2003 at 03:55 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

Just getting ahead of myself here:

Do we have to have elves and dwarves and other fantasy cliches in this world?

In my mind the more original the better!
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 12 hours, 46 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 22:57 (GMT -5)

I'm thinking no, in general. Actually I'm thinking we should remove all mention of Orcs that we have already, because I came up with an early version of the Book of the Four (at least the first tiny part of it), and it involves each of the four (plus a fifth) creating their own creatures: Air made Elves, Earth made Dwarves, Fire made Orcs, and Water made Merfolk. However none of these exist on Earth, except once in a great while as a messenger. (Hence, Orcs are not evil, and are not everywhere, as in some fantasy worlds.) I'll reveal more about the Book of teh Four (and who the fifth one is) later, when i have time to write it down.

By the way, good work on the Info thread. Are you waiting for me to come up with something for Josua? That may take a while... you can put in his brown/green eyes, the "soul twine" bit, and his resistance to change. Also he has a fairly muscular build.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 23:14 (GMT -5)

Re Above: I believe Duke means Arcanium, not Earth.

New post

Time: About 6:30pm
Characters: Dalinor is talking to a local guard captain. Relthe, Willard, Andrea and Josua are sitting down in the Tavern, Jennifer has got up from the table.
New posessions: none.
New Characters: Jayck, a uninitiated member of the Elementalists.
New places: none.

Possible beginings for the next posts: Jennifer winning some money at darts (Iridia) or the conversation between Dalinor and the guard (Andor, Duke) (can we have something like that for a non-main character?)??

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/16/2003 at 00:18 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: